Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Arctic Cat Rapid Shack for icefishing and now I'm looking for a small lightweight portable heater.
What do you guys use and what do you suggest? :cold:

·
Registered
216 Posts
As I hate the cold, I would suggest the highest output kerosene heater that you can take with you. I would want to stay comfy out on the ice while getting your prize. :hole:

·
Registered
429 Posts
i use jim beam or some jack.get one of them heaters you screw to the top of a propane tank they work great for that on a 1 lb cylender dont use kero inside a small space like that the fumes will drive you out if they dont kiil you first

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Heres the one i use, it really puts out some heat!
[attachment=142189:I_533587_SW_1.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I have the one that jgood has and it works great. However, if it's below zero you may want to consider a sunflower heater.

Really just depends if you want to be warm and comfortable or just have enough to take the edge off.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The buddy heater works great, but if you fish when its really cold you may want to consider the Big Buddy Heater. One suggestion aside from the heater is to go to your local Menards, Home Depot etc, and buy some Reflectix. Place this stuff along the top and back of the shelter. You will be amazed how much heat is retained in these flip over shelters. It will cost you about $30 or so to get a roll, but even in the coldest weather it will stay toasty warm inside even with a small heater. Another benefit is it will not allow moisture to form on the inside and drip on you.

Here is a link to some pics of it installed on a flip over shelter: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbth...opics/2057709/1

Easy to do, just put it between poles and then fabric.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Those Mr. Heater buddy heaters are awesome in little 2 man portables, but dont bump them or tip them, they will turn them selves off. I have a Wheel house for sale if anyone is looking, bunk bed, 3 burner propain stove, electric heater (runs on car batteries) 5 holes with catch covers, tongue cranks down too so you dont need to unhook it from the truck. This is the way to go if your looking for heat lol, I fish in a tshirt and shorts in this thing lol
[attachment=142207:Ice_fish...Lacs_004.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Man, I wish the timing was better. That's exactly what I've been wanting to buy but funds are a bit tight right now. Nuts.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It even has the barn doors in the back so you can haul your ATV with you lol. The old man wants $3,600 for it, its got tan carpet on the inside. Perfect for 3 guys. It literally takes 3 min to punch the holes and crank it down.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Havnt been able to go the last couple of years, but I always just used a Coleman latern that was in the box I sat on. I do not like to fish in a tent or shanty I stay out in the open.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Dec 18 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yeah....just can't swing it now. :([/b]
Totally understandable, well he hasnt had any hits on it and its been forsale since the spring, who knows... lol You christmas is only a week away lol

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I like to sit in the open, but where I fish there are typically some others fishing somewhat closer. If you catch a nice one, they swarm in around you like flies on crap. That said, I typically fish in my Clam or in my Rapidshack just so they can't see what I'm catching.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
In my opinion, The best portable heater you can buy is a little woodstove. They had them on sale at princess auto a few weeks ago. It has a little chimney that comes with them that breaks down and fits inside the woodstove when its not in use. When its all taken apart it is the size of most of those portable heaters. Since my dad is a sheet metal worker he bought one, used it as a guide to make one for his self then brought back the one he bought. It puts off a really good heat, plus you can cook on top of it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I use a 14,000 btu sunflower heater. Works great.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
The one thing I have noticed with the rapidshack is that the smaller heater doesn't work as well with heating it up due to the height of it. You can stand up easily in those things and there's a lot of space to heat up. A sunflower heater will work a bit better than the small Buddy Heater. I haven't tried the larger Buddy heater though, so that may work.

Again, really depends on the temp and wind. Anything below zero F and I'm using the sunflower. But, I also like to fish with my sweatshirt on and my Vexilar fishing bibs, so it's really how comfortable you want to be when you fish. That's the biggest variable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a quick flip II and a quick set II and I love them both. We use a sunflower heater in the quick set and it is way to much. It is always on and off. The other heater is a small Coleman that uses the small propane bottles. It keeps the edge off but will not make it hot. I prefer that one as I don't have to fiddle with it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (last5oh_302 @ Dec 19 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I use a 14,000 btu sunflower heater. Works great.

[/b]
I use the same thing with a 20lb tank and the smaller size with the little bottle for small spaces.

If I could only have one I would use the 14,000 with a 20lb tank, the little coleman fat bottles seem to freeze up when its really cold.

I also have a Coleman Sport Cat...don't waste your money!!!

The Mr. Buddy Heaters are overpriced IMO!

The one pictured above I think you can get for about 40 bucks, best money you'll
ever spend.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
We have a little Buddy and a big buddy. The big buddy pilot blows out to easy while the little buddy keeps going.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plowboy @ Dec 19 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We have a little Buddy and a big buddy. The big buddy pilot blows out to easy while the little buddy keeps going.[/b]
Depending on how long you have had the Big Buddy, there was an issue with the thermocouple on the earlier ones that caused the problem you are describing. I believe they will replace the unit with a new one or you can send it in to be repaired. A couple good friends of mine have the big buddy and they have zero problems now, but one of them had problems initially which have since been resolved.

The built in fan is nice and the fact that you can run it in an enclosed area without fear of asfixiation is a definite plus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts