Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent thread I mentioned a break in the tub of my 91 Jag.
During a recent short trip I got a bunch of loose snow in the engine compartment. I turned around to head home, but ended up getting it stuck and the motor quit.
I was already having trouble with the belt getting wet, and the throttle cable acting sluggish.
I got it started today, but it wouldn't stay running without pumping the priming knob.
What most likely is the problem?... Is it more likely the fuel pump iced up or the carburator?... or should I bring both in the cabin, or will it dry out if I let the sun get on it?
Thanks much...

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
The fuel pump is sealed unless you got snow in the gas tank. I'm guessing you have a iced up carb. You can take it off and bring it in to thaw and dry it out. You could try a hair dryer if you leave it on the machine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input. I don't want to remove anything I don't have too. I figured on having to remove the carb, but am holding off until warmer weather. It is supposed to be in the 40's in a few day's.
I don't have a hair drier, but I suppose I can drain the carberator and set it up high on a shelf. The wood heat keeps it pretty toasty up about head level.
Is there anything that a "novice" mechsnic should look at?....
It will run as long as the primer knob is slowly pumped, but it is a bugger to get running. Usually it starts pretty easy...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
97 Posts
what your describing is likely from a lack of fuel.
that's why it will run if you keep priming it; and why it's hard to start.

Could be water in the carb bowl that freezes and won't let the float sink enough to allow gas to fill in.
Pull the line from the the pump to the carb and pull the rip cord.
You should have a fair amount of fuel pushed out of the line.
If you do, it's most likely in the carb, or a cracked gasket etc.

If there isn't much gas coming out, then it might be the pump
or a restriction in the tank.
Take your time with a good light and just follow things from start to finish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much all, for the advice. It got up to +30 today, so I removed the carb.. as you can see in the pic there is ice inside...
I dumped the "liquid" out of the unit before bringing it in the cabin. Tomorrow, I'll give the fuel pump test a try.
Fortunately, I've disassembled (and reassembled!!) Mikuni carbs before, so I kinda know that part. I'll give it a good cleaning and reinstall.
I haven't had the machine long, but it was not a hard starter... In fact it even fired just a bit today during my puttering...
Anybody know of a source for PDF service manuals?
thanks again!

catcarb1

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup lots of ice in and out of that carb.
Should check for ice/snow in the air box too, or you'll pull enough moisture in that might happen again.

LOL the dates wrong on your camera according to flickr page.
.....(This photo was taken on January 1, 2006 using a Sony DSLR-A100.)

I grabbed a manual named "Arctic Cat 1990-1998 Service Manual.pdf" from somewhere.
Just google it and I'm sure you'll find one.

PS.
love true-grit both new and old.
but like the original ending the best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did plug the hose ends to try and prevent any extra moisture condensation in the airbox. I haven't located the intake for that yet though, so I could only plug the one end...
Thanks much for the advice and I'll try and search for a manual.
I never set the dates on digital camera's... just to lazy I guess!

regards..

p.s. my hero's have always been cowboys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts