Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for thoughts and input on ice scratchers. Im hoping to burn up my break-it period on the lake asap so Im ready for trails with as soon as they are open. Seems the flexible ones and the stiff ones both have their upsides and downsides. It would be ideal if I didnt have to drill any holes in the rail because I plan on testing the structural limits of the rails already.

·
Registered
142 Posts
have had both but eventually you are going to forget that they are down and back up in which case the spring type will be bent and twisted that's why now have cable type

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have used the cable type for the last three years. Have worked fantastic and show little to no wear on the carbide edge and have kept my temps on both of my 600's to just below to a couple degrees above 100 F. Easy to install and no worries about bending them. I leave them down pretty much all the time except after a fresh snow fall.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used the cable type for the last three years. Have worked fantastic and show little to no wear on the carbide edge and have kept my temps on both of my 600's to just below to a couple degrees above 100 F. Easy to install and no worries about bending them. I leave them down pretty much all the time except after a fresh snow fall.

What brand are you using? Ive seen that some flexible ones the protective plastic peels off and the cable rusts/frays and others that spin, leaving the carbide in a useless direction. From the reviews its hard to find a clear winner for the flexible type.

·
Super Moderator
8,771 Posts
They do cool the running temps.
I have run a variety of types. The cable style is easy if you do just leave them down. I do run with them tucked when not needed. There are a couple of options with cable scratchers. There are also quite a few different spring type scratchers on the market. Plan on a method to tuck them when not down. Pretty much need to tuck them backing up. BTW, both styles will catch ramps and sharp edges when they are down.

Both styles wear. Their effectiveness diminishes as they wear. Nice thing about the cable type is the replaceable tips.
I personally hate running scratchers. I only have them because I need them for cooling. My other option is drinking a ton of beer and gaining 50 pounds. I ride with big guys that never have issues on the exact same sleds. Try riding your sled and see how it does with cooling before you add scratchers.

Space is limited on the 129" skid with the stock wheel configuration. You may get by without adding holes to the rails. You will need to enlarge existing holes if you can use them with cable scratchers. Some of the spring style will fit without enlarging the holes.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What brand are you using? Ive seen that some flexible ones the protective plastic peels off and the cable rusts/frays and others that spin, leaving the carbide in a useless direction. From the reviews its hard to find a clear winner for the flexible type.
between the lines.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can attest, they do work! I was overheating on a small stretch, flipped them down, boom no more light.

I have a set of the duraflex cables with replacement tips on my 15 XF high country. They work awesome!

They aren't cheap, but what is these days?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YFSH44/ref=sxts_kp_bs_1?pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=AKLGI&pf_rd_r=PBNM6F7DJABM5WXHPXJD&pd_rd_i=B008YFSH44&pd_rd_w=dL6va&pd_rd_r=042f5b39-619b-437d-912d-207cc01d0b39&ie=UTF8&qid=1544115296&sr=1[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
8,771 Posts
@ZR600, Thanks for the reminder on those. thumbguy I used their old style mount. I had not seen or tried the bogie wheel mounting system. It is an additional option without adding holes. It will also help with the spinning in the rail holes. It may be worth a try especially with the newer outside bogie wheel configurations.

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried that mount style? If so, how well did they hold the scratcher tucked? Also, how durable is the wheel mount? Does it try to spin or break off the bolt?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! Im going to try the bogie wheel mount duraflex's I think. Maybe Ill just cool my jets and see if they will even be necessary. Never had a problem on the 02 800 although I have drug boots when I thought it would help the slides. Just trying to be proactive and figure Ill be hot to hit the lake to burn off the break-in period before the trails open.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Im going to try the bogie wheel mount duraflex's I think. Maybe Ill just cool my jets and see if they will even be necessary. Never had a problem on the 02 800 although I have drug boots when I thought it would help the slides. Just trying to be proactive and figure Ill be hot to hit the lake to burn off the break-in period before the trails open.

Better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them!

I didn’t have to drill new holes, just enlarged existing ones where it said they should be mounted. Sorry don’t have a good pic and sled is 3.5 hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm going to try running ski mounted scratchers this year. I hate the idea of drilling or enlarging holes in the rail. These ice storm scratchers are supposed to be reversible too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
Would you be willing to post a couple different angle shots?
This could very well be one of the better ski mount options. Saw a similar one on DooTalk.
I have considered this type of scratcher mount too. Only with a through bolt, joining both sides of the ski saddle, to spread the load of that pretty stout spring.
Nice work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's a stock photo mine are getting delivered on friday... ebay for $60. I'll post some pics but I have a buddy who runs them on a Doo 850 who said they work great.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I’ve opted to try the a-arm mounting. We shall see how they stay put at an aggressive enough angle for adequate pressure on the ground.

Please be sure to post a review on these after 50-100 miles or so.
Scatchers are like an impact wrench on the fasteners, or in this case the rubber clamp, that cause them to rotate.
I've seen cable scatchers, out on the trail, that are hardly in contact with the snow due to the fastener rotating.
Please share how well the rubber clamp holds them in place. And the spray pattern they provide.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Scatchers are like an impact wrench on the fasteners, or in this case the rubber clamp, that cause them to rotate.
I've seen cable scatchers, out on the trail, that are hardly in contact with the snow due to the fastener rotating.
Please share how well the rubber clamp holds them in place. And the spray pattern they provide.

Buy the Trail Blizzers once and you wont use anything else. They dont spin. Awesome mount setup. Google it.
Also, Carbide tips last and last.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My thoughts exactly on them being able to stay in place. I did a mock build up before locking the pieces together with Red loctite so they are angled away from the sled slightly so that they won’t want to tuck under themselves and be able to spread to the side when in reverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Buy the Trail Blizzers once and you wont use anything else. They dont spin. Awesome mount setup. Google it.
Also, Carbide tips last and last.
Here’s a pic of my skid frame. Nowhere really to put the two bolt system that the Blizzers use so they can’t spin on the rail at the mounting point. Nowhere really for the one bolt style either because of the extra wheels and bracing on the slide rails and in my skid frame. I wouldn’t have been able to get the scratchers mounted far enough forward on the skid for them to be effective enough I don’t think anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
My thoughts exactly on them being able to stay in place. I did a mock build up before locking the pieces together with Red loctite so they are angled away from the sled slightly so that they won’t want to tuck under themselves and be able to spread to the side when in reverse.
So are those always down? I dont see a spot to tuck them up when not needed

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So are those always down? I dont see a spot to tuck them up when not needed

They can be easily removed or just loosened off, turned up and can sit on the rear lower a-arm if I choose to not completely remove them. You can see from the close up photo of the left side that it’s simply a wing nut and washer to remove. I’ll try out a few things with them to see how they perform. The rubber acts like a bit of a shock absorber if I pull up on the scratchers from the end it seems and allows a bit of soft movement but not at all loose.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts