Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 powder special and have been running ethanol fuel (10%) thru it. I want to change over to 100% gas (87 octane). If I remember correctly, I have the wire unplugged now. Could I run the tank near empty and fill it with 87 octane and leave the wire unplugged until that tank is near empty? Having it unplugged causes it to use more oil right? I would rather use a little more oil for a tank full rather than burn the motor down.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Unplugging the ethanol wire adds 3 percent more fuel......has nothing to do with oil.......that's a completely difference adjustment on the oil pump.....not sure where you ride but up here in Canada any fuel other than premium has ethanol in it, only premium is not supposed to have ethanol......so if you want to run regular (by regular that means 87 octane vs premium which is anywhere from 91-93 octane) you should run with the ethanol wire unplugged.......fuel with ethanol is more prone to leaning out, this causes huge heat which causes your meltdown, by unplugging the ethanol wire your dumping more fuel into the cylinders and keeping everything cooler.....

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I have a 99 Zl600 EFI. Does this sled have the same connector that needs to be unplugged when ethonal is used? If so, where is the plug located?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wife has a 01 zl600 EFI and I have a 05 ZR900 EFI, both have a wire that can be unplugged to accomadate ethanol fuel. I can only assume the 99 EFI's have this same wire but there should be a decal on the top of the airbox under the hood, on carbed sleds it tells what jetting to use for different elevations and for ethanol fuel, and for EFI's it will indicate to unplug the ethanol wire for ethanol enriched fuels.....the manaul will confirm all this....not sure where you guys are from but like I said in my previous post all fuels in my part of Canada (and most states also to my knowledge) have up to 10 percent ethanol in regular octane fuel (87 octane), up here even mid grade (89 octane) has up to 10 percent ethanol. The only fuel that does not have ethanol here is premium (91 octane). The ethanol wire on that ZL600 should be very near the front of the airbox--as I recall--anyone who has the same sled and knows for sure chime in), it is a single wire with a male/female connector that is made to be easily unplugged. You will never run into trouble with the wire unplugged because it simply adds a little more fuel (3 percent), worse thing that will happen is you may run a little rich on a warm day, but it could also save your engine on a really cold day (the colder it gets the more fuel needed cause the cold air is so dense) If your unplugging or plugging in the ethanol wire (going either way) make sure you turn your sled off first, the ECU won't reset to the new designation with the sled running.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in northern Iowa. Around here it is either 87 octane(no ethanol) or 89 octane(10% ethanol). I just went out and looked under the hood and my wire is unplugged. It is supposed to be unplugged for ethanol and plugged in for fuel without ethanol. I want to switch to fuel without ethanol to see how much fuel milage improves. So if I was to run the tank near empty and fill it back up with NONethanol fuel should I leave the wire unplugged or plug it like it says to do for NONethanol fuels? I'm only concerned about the first tank that would be mixed to some degree. I dunno

·
Registered
98 Posts
Powder special...........here's the thing.....if your positive that your regular fuel contains NO ethanol you can run with the wire plugged in, it was made to be plugged in for non-ethanol fuel, and unplugged for ethanol enriched fuel, if your sure there's no ethanol.......if that's the case your lucky down there....I can't get regular octane fuel here without ethanol which is why I run my wife's 600 with ethanol wire unplugged......piston wash is fat and happy that way. What size is your powder special and are you running any engine mods??? As far as running the tank mostly dry then switching over to non ethanol.......no problem there........by the time you fill the mostly emply tank with non ethanol fuel your percentage of enthanol will be like 1-2 percent.........those earlier EFI's usually ran pretty fat and safe.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a 500 that is stock. As far as the gas being ethanol or not I'm only going off of what the pumps have stated on them. For the 89 octane it has a sticker that states 10% ethanol blend and the other is 87 octane, that is all they say on them. I'm assuming the 87 to be straight gas as it doesn't have any label stating otherwise like the 89 octane does. I guess I will have to do a bit of research to make sure. I just thought putting straight gas in would improve milage, it cost .10 more per gallon so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check with the gas station or one of the local snowmobile clubs out there.......those guys would likely know......bad fuel with ethanol and burned down many a motor up here by leaning them out........what kind of milage you getting with your sled.......don't know much about the powder special.....how long is your track and how big a paddle on it.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting around 8-10 mpg. The sled is a 500 with a 136 track with about 1 1/2 in lug. I just figured that changing to non ethanol fuel might improve milage some and avoid issues that people say are a result of running ethanol fuels. I don't know..... maybe I'm just better off staying with what i've been doing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can find non ethanol fuel do it............plug the wire back in.......and you'll be happy.......when in doubt about ethanol content.....just unplug....that little 500 has a lot of sled to push with the 136 and 1 1/2 paddle.......and if your constantly pushing it, it's gonna burn fuel, it's the nature of the beast.......in average riding my 900 will get better milage than my wife's 600 if you can believe that........her motor has to work harder and rev's higher........but I have to give it to those 500's....those are damn tuff little engines.......just don't think changing fuels will make much difference. I also have a 97 ZR580 EFI.....my kid rides that one......great sled but at 75 miles on a tank of fuel we're looking real hard for a gas station.....guess what I'm saying is don't expect much better fuel milage out of that sled.....you're pushing a big track for a 500, and you have a reliable engine that you can probably hold to the bar all day long and not hurt it......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kash, thanks for all the input/advice. I also had a 97 zr580 efi, bought it new. It was fast but it did suck gas down. I would have preferred a 700 in this but it was a good deal so I bought it. I could use more power but it does go thru plenty but as you said it does work harder.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The older ones have a different EPROM for the computer to richen it up. I have a 98 ZR 600 that I have yet to ride because I dont have the ethanol chip. A few people on this site have said its ok to run ethanol because they are plenty rich from the factory. Im still a little worried since Im not really looking to burn it down. Anyone here have any long term results running ethanol without the chip??

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I have a very early 99 ZL600 EFI and it says nothing on the air box about a wire to unplug for ethanol. Does this sled have the connection to unplug? Does anyone have a picture of the connection?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I can get you a picture if you are really interested. Its kinda a clear wire if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
wow, just noticed that you replied back. I will get one later if I remember.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts