Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 96 ZR580 EFI last night. I had it in my mind that I wanted a ZR600 or 700. I've even had my eye on a 2000 ZR700 with a snapped crank that I was going to buy for a project but the more I think about it I don't need anything that big. I have a 95 Z440 that I really like because it's light and easy to trow around. It's just a little lacking in power and suspension. I figure the ZR500 would give me what the Z440 is lacking.

Any advice on what to look for. Is there a big difference between the 98s and 2000+?

Thanks

Dave

·
5,963 Posts
Go For the 2001+ Zr's Wider running boards and APV's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i just got this 97 zr440 running right, quickest trail sled ive seen. this thing moves and im sure the people who rode 1997 zr440 sno pro know it, I wanted zrt 800, but im so glad i got this 440 sno pro. just so impressed. 95z440 must not move like this one or u would be talking about lacking.

·
5,963 Posts
i just got this 97 zr440 running right, quickest trail sled ive seen. this thing moves and im sure the people who rode 1997 zr440 sno pro know it, I wanted zrt 800, but im so glad i got this 440 sno pro. just so impressed. 95z440 must not move like this one or u would be talking about lacking.
Not a SnoPro, Just a Regular Zr440. Put a 01+ Front suspension on there with a ARA and some other things and It will go Faster than you are Comfy Riding at.

·
5,963 Posts
That is how they were made. Consumer race sled

·
Super Moderator
8,445 Posts
I sold my 96 ZR580 EFI last night. I had it in my mind that I wanted a ZR600 or 700. I've even had my eye on a 2000 ZR700 with a snapped crank that I was going to buy for a project but the more I think about it I don't need anything that big. I have a 95 Z440 that I really like because it's light and easy to trow around. It's just a little lacking in power and suspension. I figure the ZR500 would give me what the Z440 is lacking.

Any advice on what to look for. Is there a big difference between the 98s and 2000+?

Thanks

Dave
If you can find a 97.5 zr500 I would get one of those. They were the fastest non pv 500s. Some claim they were sent with more timing and a tighter head than the regular build 500s. The EB sleds will have black belly pans, green hoods, and 97 moto-x style bars on them. They are not to hard to come by. The regular build wont have the mx style bars and the belly pans will match the hood.

The 2002 zr500 CC is also a good pick as well.

The 97 zr440 is also a very fast good sled.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
01 or 02 zr500 definitely....I have 2 o2 500s and love em. Owned one 02 LE 500 since it was new. Would never sell it. Good backup sled and bulletproof

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I always thought the ZR440s had a bad engine or is that just the sno pro from a certain year?

GregB will the 97.5 have the 98 body styling and front suspension?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
From what I've read here the 98 & 99 SnoPros's are for the wrenchers among us, they had power valves but they aren't cable operated, so they're not the most dependable.

The 98 consumer ZR440 is basically a 97 with the ZR2 skin with non-power valve motor, which was the same in 96 too other than 38mm carbs (the 97 & 98 consumers have 34 mm carbs)

My brother and I each have 97 ZR 440's as secondary sleds and a buddy of mine has 2 of the 98 consumer ZR 440's. Clean the carbs good before the riding season and they run great all day every day! A real blast to ride too! We were in Hurley a couple weeks ago when it was COLD...put on 350-miles and noone had any problems.

Pelle may have some insight on the SnoPro model with power valves???

I had an '01 ZR 500 and an '02 ZR 500 Cross Country. The '02 has the wider running boards. They were both great sleds. Sold the '02 to my brothers buddy, his kid is still enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Thanks

Dave
I think I just bought that 2000 zr700 you were talking about. Orangeville Kijiji ad? 2000, snapped off crank, blacked out no decals, reverse? Wanna know the really weird part? I also own a '95 z440, and my name is Dave.......weird:huh:

·
5,963 Posts
Inceptioned

:lol:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I just bought that 2000 zr700 you were talking about. Orangeville Kijiji ad? 2000, snapped off crank, blacked out no decals, reverse? Wanna know the really weird part? I also own a '95 z440, and my name is Dave.......weird:huh:
Dave you're freaking me out man! :lol:

My sister lives in Orangeville. If you tell me you have a sister that lives in London then I'm really going to be freaked!

Yep it sounds like you bought the sled I've been looking at for a while. I had my chance but kept dragging my feet. I was never convinced it was what I wanted. If it was still around the next time I was up that way I would have probably bought it. What condition is it in other than the busted crank? Looked pretty good in the pics but I've been fooled by that before.

Dave

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It needs the odd thing, bearing here or there, pretty standard. The body panels and seat are absolutely mint. Definitely worth more than he was asking. No, I do not have a sister in London. But I lived there going to fanshawe 8 years ago.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It needs the odd thing, bearing here or there, pretty standard. The body panels and seat are absolutely mint. Definitely worth more than he was asking. No, I do not have a sister in London. But I lived there going to fanshawe 8 years ago.
Nice....Good buy. Probably better for my marriage that I didn't buy it. :lol:

Small world. I seem to recall when you bought that Z440 a few years ago I was looking at it on kijiji too...unless I'm thinking of someone else.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just my cheap opinion on my '02 ZL500. Was wicked fast for a 500 but I had engine issues with less than a 1000mi. Locating pin in piston broke and ring hooked exhaust port and snapped. I think this was a common problem for the year.
Other problem was the power valve retaining pin. It would wear and along the way the hole the pin goes through in the valve elongates and you get valve contact with the piston. Most of us shimmed the valves and took care of the problem.
Unfortunately I didn't like riding when in the back of my mind I found myself constantly thinking is this engine coming apart again? Seemed like I could always hear valve rattle that should not have been there. Even took it back to the dealer and told
it was normal.
Again I really liked the sled,not the valve set-up though and ended up selling it.
Maybe it was just me, but was alot of extra maintenance that I don't find myself doing with the 600s of the same era.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nice....Good buy. Probably better for my marriage that I didn't buy it. :lol:

Small world. I seem to recall when you bought that Z440 a few years ago I was looking at it on kijiji too...unless I'm thinking of someone else.
Ya, I bought that z440 two years ago? Kijiji ad in brampton. It have no spark at the time and the hood was there, but rough. I gave the kid $200 for it. Took it home, and the stator and cdi were fried. By complete sheer luck, I had the exact ones it takes sitting on a '87 440LC motor in my shed. Fired right up, been solid ever since. Very light, pretty peppy, great for toeing my kids around on. The 700....it's for meRockerdude It does run, just the snapped crank mean a new bottom end. I have decided whether to get a new bottom end, or drop in a '02 600 tripple APV motor I have. I'm pretty sure the pipes may cause and fitment problem with that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts