Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought a 2010 arctic cat 550 h1 efi trv and when I start to slow down it makes this noise like it backfires a bit what could be the problem I'm new to owning an atv

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
Lean condition causes this. Being it’s efi, it could be difficult for you to track down. Possibly just the mapping of the ecu?

Knowing how lean some Cats are from the factory, it wouldn’t surprise me if that were the issue (mapping). Maybe being assisted even further by a leaky intake boot, or maybe a leaky exhaust joint between headpipe and muffler (sucking in air)?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
My 700 Cat will backfire once in a while when using engine braking. I've never found anything out of place or leaking, After putting a snorkel on, it seems a bit worse. I suspect the factory efi mapping is set a wee bit lean for "emissions". C-note hit it right on the head, I believe.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
What do you mean if it's not efi. My machine is a 550 h1 efi trv
sorry I had a brain fart there??

another thing I have seen is when folks run a lot of ethanol fuel and atv sits a lot, this happens to a lot of atv's (all brands) at my hunting camp, where 10-12 atv's site 5-7 months out of the yr
all the guys running ethanol , there atv's backfire often, guys that ONLY use ethanol or run atv often, don;t seem to have issue's
so, I also thing its a fuel issue
from either just the fuel running, or how ethanol fuel builds crap varnish like coatings on things over time

so, could be a fuel flow issue's too due to something being some what blocked up ,
maybe try running some sea foam or like treatment(not than magic in a can fixing all things)
but it might help some here if its mild issue and can clean/free things up for you?
before going deeper into things!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How can I fix that I really dont know what to do cause this is the first ATV I've owned so I take it to the garage

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
My 700 Cat will backfire once in a while when using engine braking. I've never found anything out of place or leaking, After putting a snorkel on, it seems a bit worse. I suspect the factory efi mapping is set a wee bit lean for "emissions". C-note hit it right on the head, I believe.
Adding a snorkel (lengthening/restricting “ever so slightly”) the path of incoming air, should have made it less noticeable?

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
sorry I had a brain fart there??

another thing I have seen is when folks run a lot of ethanol fuel and atv sits a lot, this happens to a lot of atv's (all brands) at my hunting camp, where 10-12 atv's site 5-7 months out of the yr
all the guys running ethanol , there atv's backfire often, guys that ONLY use ethanol or run atv often, don;t seem to have issue's
so, I also thing its a fuel issue
from either just the fuel running, or how ethanol fuel builds crap varnish like coatings on things over time

so, could be a fuel flow issue's too due to something being some what blocked up ,
maybe try running some sea foam or like treatment(not than magic in a can fixing all things)
but it might help some here if its mild issue and can clean/free things up for you?
before going deeper into things!
Before promoting Seafoam, click onto link in my signature concerning Randakk’s Link. I think you may be surprised.

Seafoam was never intended as a cleaner. Read the Seafoam presidents comments in that link.

If a system is 100% clean, then by all means, use it, it was intended to be a line, to help with cutting down on corrosion’s in fuel systems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a 'normal' condition on EFI. You need to check MAF, TPS and any non-OEM parts fitted. The 'spike down exhaust pipe to increase flow is often 'culprit' but it could be simple as a distorted or broken gasket allowing air leak

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What can I do to get rid of that sound and the sound doesnt always happen it happens when I go fast and then start to brake

·
Registered
29 Posts
You may not be interested in theprobable/possible reasons it's doing it but I'll explain anyway. It's probably a lean afterfire and will need either more fuel or the correct exhaust/intake, check cam timing, MAF, (mass air flow sensor), TPS (throttle position sensor) and O2 sensor Most TPS are adjustable and very common for people to mess with. (quick aside, I once had a customer who insisted 'adjusting' TPS even though he was in shop with running problems about every 2~3 weeks 'it's faster when I adjust it' was excuse?) When your traveling at reasonable speed then chop throttle the fuel delivery is cut and not enough fuel is injected to support combustion. (it gets lean) the unburnred fuel collects in exhaust and ignites from hot pipe when ratio gets high enough causing a 'pop'. It is somewhat dependent on engine rpm and how fast you close throttle, on dyno sportbikes can easily blow a 2 ft flame when throttler closed suddenly from 11,000rpm.It's rare but you could have a 'bad map' in ECU (usually if thats' a problem all the atvs in series will have same problem from ECU batch, maybe 500~1000 or more)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Before promoting Seafoam, click onto link in my signature concerning Randakk’s Link. I think you may be surprised.

Seafoam was never intended as a cleaner. Read the Seafoam presidents comments in that link.

If a system is 100% clean, then by all means, use it, it was intended to be a line, to help with cutting down on corrosion’s in fuel systems.
well, like I said, sea foam or a "LIKE " product!
sea foam might be marketed as a cleaner, but like many things sold, they do more than just one thing
I am Not saying its magical by any means, but it has been known to help some folks that have minor issue's
and as an example ??

WD 40 was designed to be water displacement, and well, its got a few thousand other uses now? LOL so just caus ewhat its marketed for, doesn;'t mean something cannot do other things too!, just saying!'
no hate here at all LOL

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Wayne, as you said, you are not a mechanic, why not try some non ethanol gas first. If you have an Arctic Cat dealer near by, you might run it by him, possibility that he may have a flash from the factory to make it run better. If no air leak in exhaust or air intake, I think it's just the factory efi mapping is set too lean, to make our beloved EPA happy that our ATV's aren't polluting.

·
Registered
494 Posts

I'm a believer in the snake oil Sea Foam lol. Just from my own experience I've had good luck with it for several years. Bought a new 2007 John Deere X300 and it's always had the right recommendation mixture of gas and Sea Foam. I had a 2001 Honda Rancher that the float started sticking in it and before I tore into the carb a mechanic buddy of mine recommend try some Sea Foam first.

I did and it cured it's problem of leaking gas on my shop floor and I never had a problem right until the day I sold the ATV.. I run it every tank full on all my atv's lawn mowers, whatever etc. I would agree maybe on a older dirty fuel system whatever it is that the Sea Foam could cause some problems possibly from it's cleaning process. Our mechanics were raising heck when the older diesel dump trucks at work were breaking down with fuel pump failures and clogged fuel filters due to that new bio-diesel the company was trying out. Maybe some thing to that effect.

What about Sea Foam? Is it safe?

Maybe.

I regard the use of this product as mostly wishful thinking. Used as such, it is likely safe for internal carb parts. Indirectly, however, it can cause some problems as I explain below.

First, here’s some information I received recently from Matthew Hanson of the Sea Foam Company after this Tech Tip was originally published:

My name is Matt Hanson and I work for the Sea Foam Company. I have just finished reading through the “More on Fuel and Fuel Additives” section on your website and I was impressed by your understanding of the problems we face with fuel and fuel additives today. Even your comments about over treating a fuel system with cleaning chemicals is right on the money because nearly all of them (other than Sea Foam) contain some kind of caustic chemical from methanol to MEK and xylene and many other rubber and plastic eating compounds.

Sea Foam is actually one of the only additives on the market that does not have this problem. 100% of the contents of a Sea Foam can are pure petroleum. They are extremely high quality oils that are far less corrosive than gasoline and have absolutely no effect on rubbers, plastics, silicone or any other delicate material. You can test this by pouring some Sea Foam into a Styrofoam cup. It will not damage the Styrofoam no matter how long it sits in the cup. You can go a step further and place some rubber parts into the cup to soak in the Sea Foam — the more delicate the better. Sea Foam will cause no damage and will not even swell the material.

Sea Foam was originally developed for use in outboard motors in the 1930’s and was safe for every cork gasket and rubber diaphragm that chemical additives would have destroyed. The formula has not changed since the 1930’s and Sea Foam remains the safest additive on the market.

Sea Foam is the only product on the market that is 100% safe to use in every tank at any concentration and it will actually address many of the fuel related problems you identify. For more information on Sea Foam products see our web site at: www.seafoamsales.com or feel free to contact our technical service department at (952) 938-4811 Thank you very much.”

-Matthew Hanson

My view on Sea Foam — there are better fuel system cleaners, better fuel stabilizing products and better fuel lubricity products available.

I’m still reluctant to recommend putting most fuel cleaning agents into old fuel tanks. That can loosen crud and add to your misery. I don’t ever use Sea Foam myself for that reason. If you have any fuel tank issues, the use of Sea Foam should be avoided in my view.

In my case I agree with Matthew Hanson, I've used Sea Foam for years with no problem. My problem is E10 gasoline is all we can get in my area. I believe the close's place for me to get non-ethanol gas is 30-40 miles one way just to fill up. That was when I checked about 5 years ago,they may not have it now.

Tony

1 - 17 of 17 Posts