Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well im 17 and i have a 05 500 with an electric choke and last weekend i went through some reall nasty stuff and im pretty sure water got in the air box... when i was going through this one whole the water got over the front rack and then it just died i didnt try to restart it. we winched it out and pull started it. but ever since then it wont idle at all when its cold it will for about a min then die. does anybody know what to do???? one of my friends said it probably had water in the carb.. and can anyone tell me where the idle screw is??? thanks

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
welcome call to Arctic Chat!!

Well if you drowned it out chances are you will have to remove the carb and give it a cleaning, could be some dirt in the pilot jet. Turning up the idle screw will not solve the problem. Another thing to do is stop riding now and check your engine oil for signs of water and clean out the airbox and air filter. Make sure to get the oil changed until there is no more signs of water (milky color to the oil) in it, it may take a few oil changes to do. If it sucked water in through the airbox then there is a good chance of dirt/water in the carb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot man really i dont wont to tell my dad that i messed it up but really i went through some stuff on my stock cat that some polaris's and honda's tried and failed miserably ;)
if you could tell me more on how to fix the problem i would be very grateful

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
at the very least drain the carb bowl. on the bottom of carb there is a hose and where the hose connects to the carb there is a skrew, open up that skrew and let the fuel flow out for a bit then close up. drains the bowl and any water thats at the bottom. also might want to check the airfilter, make sure not plugged.

like gfc says probably needs a complete cleaning though.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richardp17 @ Dec 23 2006, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ok so ive seen the screw that holds the hos on i need to unscrew that and let some gas out... im sorry i really dont know **** about this stuff so thatnks guys[/b]
If you didn't completely submerge the air intake system, chances are just your air filter may have water in the element that is being sucked into the carburetor mixing with fuel and throwing fuel/air ratio off just enough to inhibit combustion at slow engine speed. Check your air filter and air filter compartment for water. Clean your air filter as per your manual's instructions. Mop up any water in the air filter compartment. I cannot see how water or dirt would enter the inside of your carb unless the air intake system was completely submerged. Even if that happened, it's not be too likely that the water/contamination would enter the float bowl. Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt to drain off some fuel.
If you did drown your cat past the air intake and filled the engine with water, change your oil immediately. Water is heavier than oil so it will settle to the bottom of your engine. One oil change should be sufficient. When you run the machine with fresh oil, the heat will boil off any residual water. Do not run the engine with water in the oil. Water will get into the bearings, wash away the oil and cook bearings.

I suggest you 'fess up to the old man and have him help you out. If you were authorized to use the machine and weren't abusing it, why would you be reluctant to tell him. If on the otherhand, you were not authorized and/or were thrashing it, tell your father, take your lumps and learn the lesson.

Good luck and merry Christmas.

Let us know how things work out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot all of you have helped alot and the air box did have a little muddy water in it and the air filter was dirty and wet you could ring water out of it... And yes he did allow me to ride it and im normally a very responsible person but every time i go to this one place in the bottoms something bad always happens... and it doesnt help that he's always right :( so im probably just gonna tell himn because he was a mechanic for 20 somethin years and he probably knows what to do i was just hoping i could do it so i wouldnt disapoint him. but thanks everybody. Oh and i did change the oil and filter the next morning i think i need to do it again tho its not 100% clear

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richardp17 @ Dec 24 2006, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks alot all of you have helped alot and the air box did have a little muddy water in it and the air filter was dirty and wet you could ring water out of it... And yes he did allow me to ride it and im normally a very responsible person but every time i go to this one place in the bottoms something bad always happens... and it doesnt help that he's always right :( so im probably just gonna tell himn because he was a mechanic for 20 somethin years and he probably knows what to do i was just hoping i could do it so i wouldnt disapoint him. but thanks everybody. Oh and i did change the oil and filter the next morning i think i need to do it again tho its not 100% clear[/b]
Hi Richard.

Glad to see everything worked out for you. Your oil is probably fine. It doesn't sound like your machine took on enough water to actually drown the engine. Your father should be proud that you have the aptitude and responsibility to realize when something is wrong with the machine and you do your best to fix it. You shouldn't be afraid to ask for guidance. You'll do the work and gain experience from it. It's good training for you and dad should be happy to see that. As far as him being right all of the time, well, some day you'll be wearing his shoes and you'll be right all the time. Everybody gets their turn.

Best of the season to you.

Ride safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.