Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bang your head badcomputer

I installed my new APV cable yesterday :)

Now the damn sled is getting way to much gas and not enuff air

I smokes big time when giving her gas

checked the choke cables took them out and put them back

Adjusted the fuel mixture screws 2 turns as per manual

The air screw is all the way in,as per manual

The only thing dif this week compare to last is I put 310main jets,had 300s before and the new APV cable

The APV cable do cycle when started as

So I stumped big time here

1st it was no fuel and now its too much

I took the shelf off and ran it like that and you can see the fuel spit out

The sled idles fine,BUT I have to have the idle screw almost all the way to idle at 1500,before I could make it idle 3000 + if I had the screw in that far

when I give her gas its seems to have too much fuel

this is my 1st sled with Flatslides so I am not used to the fuel screw and air screws on the rounds it was just a air/fuel screw

Could my APVs cause this problem I dunno

I adjusted them at 34mm

+ my oil light is on all the time :(

I am about drop a match in the tank

I am so frustrated this year with no snow and now all these simple problems that I can not figure out

I am sure it is such a simple problem but for the life of me I do not know or have the time or expertise to screw around with it anymore

Help me :(

give me some ideas

Thanx for reading my whining :p

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BUT it was all the way in before and ran great all last year

and that is what they say in the manual

what are the chance of it leaning out if I turn the air screw I dunno

Could something be blocked in the carb

It just sucks that I am 35minutes away from my sled and only see it on the weekend

I am just frustrated with it

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Does it start hard now? plugs wet?

One year, I fired up my sled and it was smoking like mad. Put it on the trailer anyway and headed up north with the gang. On the first ride it left a smoke trail for a mile and then cleaned out. Never had a problem the rest of the year. The next year it was the same deal. What I found out was my cases were somehow getting filled with oil if it sat for longer periods of time. I pulled my carbs and reeds off and stuck a big syringe into the bottom of the cases and sucked all the oil out. couple weeks later same deal, so I got pissed and yanked my complete injection system and converted to premix. Maybe you have some excess oil or gas in your cases.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It starts no problem

does not want to stall out and idles fine

but when you give it gas it smokes like a SOB

not blue smoke more of a white

·
Registered
515 Posts
White smoke could be big trouble. It usualy means coolant is getting in engine. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But it does not smell sweet

I know when my intake gasket went on my Grand Am you could smell the sweetness in the exhaust

also that would have no affect on the carbs

it started and ran good last weekend

then I snapped my APV cable

since then I put 310jets and a new APV cable

Is it possible I got 370s I dunno

I just do not know wtf is going on

it seems I get one thing fixed then I find something else :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
White smoke sounds like it could be either lean, or the sled is cold... did you warm it up. If the sled is running fat she'll be smoking more of a black smoke. My 800 smokes white some when its cold, then it goes away as the engine and pipes come up to temp. She also will fall on her face until warm. Carb engines need to warm up to operating power before they usually will develop power and respond, only efi will be snappy when cold, but they should be warmed up as well. But I could be entirely wrong... its just a thought

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Jan 8 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
BUT it was all the way in before and ran great all last year

and that is what they say in the manual

what are the chance of it leaning out if I turn the air screw I dunno

Could something be blocked in the carb

It just sucks that I am 35minutes away from my sled and only see it on the weekend

I am just frustrated with it[/b]
Never seen one that runs with em all the way in (I could be wrong though)...........looked it up on my CD and it shows 1.5 turns for the '02 which I assume would be the same as your '01.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you talking the white plastic tip screw fuel mixture screw #23 toward engine that one is 2turns

and the brass one #42 toward the front of the carb air is to be all the way in on my 01 cd

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I sure can sympathize with you. Mine had a lot of white smoke too. Just a symptom of too much gas is my bet. Once I got it running smoothly the exhaust decreased a lot. With all my messing around I fouled 2 plugs too. Even though the plugs were almost brand new (expensive ones too) they would produce no spark I dunno It might be worthwhile throwing a couple new plugs in there too while you're at it.

I haven't found any clear specs on adjusting choke plungers. when I adjusted mine in the summer I made sure there was at least an extra 3 mm in order to provide an adequate seal but that didn't seem to be enough. Now there are adjusted so that they will definitely seal properly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
try the air screw out can't hurt . i also never seen them in all the way . as for your exhaust valves they r shut when idling anyways don't open until 6000 as long as you adjusted them right i would not worry about them. pull carbs and clean dbl check you jets put on stand and blow it out . i assume you have fresh gas in good luck you'll get it

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The APV only comes into effect at high RPM's. The APV cable length for a 600 twin is between 32.1 and 34.1mm so you may want to shoot for 33mm. The size of the jets are all printed on them but even with really good eye sight I still need a magnifier to read them. When you had the carbs apart maybe a chunk of varnished gas got stuck in the float valve causing the carb to flood, or maybe the float shutoff tab got bent. My 600 smokes white pretty good but clears up when hot. The chart in my manual shows a dash under the pilot air screw (turns out) column, is this why you think the air screw should be all the way in? This chart column refers to VM carbs, the air screw on TM carbs is not a pilot air screw its just an air screw and should be around 1.5 to 2 turns out as mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes gas is fresh

Oh ya forgot to mention I have BR 9 eyas brand new put in this weekend before starting

had BR9es before

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Open the air screw before trying anything else.................jets may be wrong as well but the air screw is your first issue to correct.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wayne from Pontypool @ Jan 8 2007, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The APV only comes into effect at high RPM's. The APV cable length for a 600 twin is between 32.1 and 34.1mm so you may want to shoot for 33mm. The size of the jets are all printed on them but even with really good eye sight I still need a magnifier to read them. When you had the carbs apart maybe a chunk of varnished gas got stuck in the float valve causing the carb to flood, or maybe the float shutoff tab got bent. My 600 smokes white pretty good but clears up when hot. The chart in my manual shows a dash under the pilot air screw (turns out) column, is this why you think the air screw should be all the way in? This chart column refers to VM carbs, the air screw on TM carbs is not a pilot air screw its just an air screw and should be around 1.5 to 2 turns out as mentioned above.[/b]
So this is where I might be wrong?

why would they not say turn it 1.5-2turns on the chart?

I was/am sure that that screw #42 was all the way in before

I am going to give it a try sometime this week

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might want to pull the carbs and check the main jets. Ran into this on a sled a buddy had, would idle fine but wouldn't turn 5000 rpm. pulled his carbs and when he changed his mains he didn't tighten them up and one came out and was laying in the float bowl. checked the other carb and he had a 370 on that side and a 320 on the other. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.