Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Mine done some thing like that one time.At half throttle and up in would spit and sputter.Turns out that dirt dobbers had built a nest in the snorkel to the air box lid.The nest was cutting off my air flow to the filter.Its worth a look I dunno

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Does the engine rev up fine when it is in neutral or does it miss than as well?If its missing in neutral try removing the air box lid and filter and see how it revs up then.Also have you checked the choke?May be stuck I dunno

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Originally posted by Mississippi@Aug 1 2005, 08:58 PM
Does the engine rev up fine when it is in neutral or does it miss than as well?If its missing in neutral try removing the air box lid and filter and see how it revs up  then.Also have you checked the choke?May be stuck I dunno
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

i was just gonna ask that....but hmmm this is a real head scratcher, id say take all your electrical connections out and clean them, put some dielectric grease in all of the connections and maybe even spray WD-40 on some of the connections

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
since it revs fine in neutral its gotta be something with the clutching, take the belt cover off and look in there or have the dealer do it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is it flashing a code on the dash? Sounds to me like it's in Limp Mode.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
id say take the belt cover off, jack the rear end up and put it on jack stands or something safe so it doesnt fall, start the machine up and let it warm up, then put it in high and give it gas and while your doing that watch as the belt moves up and down on the clutches and when its at 15 mph or when it starts to sputter watch the belt and clutches, maybe you need a new belt or something, when it starts to sputter floor it and see if anything happens, like if it clears up or if it just bogs more

·
Administrator
7,594 Posts
When it starts to sputter, put the choke on. If it runs better, you are starving for fuel. If it makes it worse, you are getting too much fuel. When its sputtering, what color is the exhaust? if any color. Your choke cable could be out of adjustment( not releasing all the way)
Other things to check are exhaust restrictions. Sometimes mice build nests in the muffler and cause some serious headaches. You could pull the muffler off and start it and see what you get .
Another thing to do is remove the air filter completely, If it runs better w/ it removed, you have a fuel deliever problem(Too much fuel) which would suggest a float out of whack, debris under the needle and seat.
You said you cleaned the carb. How much gunk was in it? Maybe you missed something in there.
Sputtering usually means its getting too much fuel or not enough air.
Hesitation means a lack of fuel or getting too much air (cracked carb boot between carb and engine for example)
Fresh gasoline is a must. Does your exhaust smell weird? kinda like varnish? that means gas thats gone bad. Drain the tank completely and start over. If I think of anything else, I will post it for ya ..good luck...............tigger

·
Administrator
7,594 Posts
you can also go on ebay and get the 2002 repair cd for about 2 bucks..

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
yea im curious as to what the hells the matter with it, watch its gonna be something simple and there gonna charge you like 200 bucks for nothing

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
well if it was either one of those, it would be smoking alot

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
no i have seen my buddys suzuki drive with areally bad piston and his didnt blow smoke but long story short his whole motor seized up cuz of this piston

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
well the seals, if they were shot theyd be smoking, and plus if you had a bad piston you should be able to tell the difference in the way it sounds, i know i did

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
well if its missing around 15 it most liky is the piston...but even something like the air boke being cloged can cause that in an extream case

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my 04 400 when I got to much water in the belt casing without draining it it would only get going so quick before the belt would slip. Try draining it out, (PS even though it has been sitting for a long time water will just sit in there and won't evaporate)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts