Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A baby Zrt to add to the stable. My boy found a 96 Zrt600 that would match my 96 Zrt800. It has a burned piston, the seat is ripped, and the hood is junk. Now the good is he says he has a new hood for it along with a another engine that is ready to drop in. He also has new kimpex skis, A new track last year, V-force reeds, Dalton clutch kit and complete gasket/o-ring set. He is asking $500 or Best offer so I am going to go check it out. He said when it burned a piston he was riding around the yard at 10 to 15mph and it just got hot as he was riding with his 6yr old on her Z120. Maybe the engine in is can be saved as well?? If its junk I will walk away but if its not bad I will make him a offer. When looking at sleds I always figure out what it would be worth in parts and offer accordingly so we will see. If I get it I am not sure if I will even use the chassis as we have a 99 long track chassis here that my boy wants to put a Zrt6 engine in to.

Reactions: DustinZRT

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
For $500 or best offer I don't think you can go wrong. Take what you need that is good and scrap or sell the rest. Provided there is enough "good" stuff. Have cash in your pocket and a truck or trailer to be able to take it on the spot and offer him $400 or less.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I showed up with a truck and trailer and talked to the guy for at least 1 hours as we were going through checking the engines and looking ever thing over. I am sure he did not get a lot of calls at this time of the year with a non running 96 Zrt600, Anyways he loaded it up on my trailer for $350. The second engines has 125lbs across the board and has flywheel and stator still on it. We bolted on the recoil to check it out and it seems in good shape. It has 1 year old Kimpex skis that is in great shape and the track though dirty is in great shape as well other than he put used studs in it and they are shot. The engine that is in the sled has a PTO piston burned. It looks like detronation not over heating to me!! It still rolls over good and may be able to be saved with minimally work. The primary clutch is in decent shape with no cracks at all. The chassis is rough but I do not think it would take to much work to make it look good with the second hood. The original hood, belly pan, and seat is trashed!! It has a set of stinger tips and he did not have the stock muffler so I will have to find one. My boy originally want to put this into our 99 long track chassis that we have but after seeing this project sled he acted like he would like to fix it up and do a AGLT on this sled along with the TSL rear susp. I will do the motor and clutchs on his sled for him but he can star wrenching if he wants to fix this sled up. I was buying the sled for the engines, clutch, ski's, spare hood, and a good spare track. For the price I paid I dont think I went wrong!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's a few more pics. The other two cylinders and heads are in great shape and the PTO cylinder mat be able to be saved as well. I have another set of good heads here from a sled I parted out years ago and they did not sell so I have spare heads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wicked. What does aglt stand for? And if that spare motor doesn't need any work and runs that paid for your expenses right there
The spare engine supposed to have come out of a running sled. From what I am seeing with CR and the skirts are nice and clean, the domes have a nice wash I believe it is a good engine. As far as what does AGLT stand for. Its a front suspension mod that gives you a usable 13" of front travel on the AWS4 chassis. AG stands for the guy who started it and LT stands for long travel. It uses stock arctic cat parts off of different year sleds to get the 13" of travel. Look at post #2 for the parts needed to convert to the AGLT in the link below. I just found out about it about 5 weeks ago and I am going for it!!

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pin...grading-front-suspension-aws4-sleds-aglt.html

Reactions: four_420_twenty

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I called that one right. thumbguy

Nice job. I wish I could find deals like that around here....then again it's probably better for my marriage if I didn't. :lol:
Ya you called it right!! But my wife gave me $200 cash to go get it this morning!! Cat happy

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
AG told me the late model year 1996 zrt 6 and 8's had the AGLT correct spindles. Guess what, looks like your 600 has the right ones. Just need to machine reliefs into them and your good to go. My originals looked very different. Lucks on your side on this project!! I think you may have to long track that 600 and have a father and son matching sled except for engines. :lol:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Here are some skis from a 97-600zrt project I did last year and sold for some ching. Yours look (slightly) better than mine did though. Lol. Dude diffiniteley got his money's worth out of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Here are some skis from a 97-600zrt project I did last year and sold for some ching. Yours look (slightly) better than mine did though. Lol. Dude diffiniteley got his money's worth out of them.
Yikes! Did that guy forget that it's a "snow" mobile? It looks like he was doing some serious pavement/gravel running.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I think he was smokin' some left handers! Lol.

These by far, are the worst I've ever seen!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
How the frig does that happen? Big head scratcher!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DustinZRT. Ya My boy wants to fix it up so I have a second sled to build this summer.

Tcat446. Ya he is already talking about the long track. I here you about those ski's and left handers. Those are the guys you dont want to run across while riding!!

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Now you have to post pics of both sled projects!! Lol. :lol:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ya I will Probable have them both in the garage at the same time. The first thing I am going to do is rip both engines (600cc) down and have the cranks gone though just to make sure they are good to go. Then I will replace the water pump seals and water/oil pump shafts along with crank seals so I know the bottom ends are ready. My boy is talking about maybe making 2 sleds. Fix the 96 this year and then next year put the 99 long track chassis together. You know what. He's a good kid, He keeps his grades up and stays out of trouble so I dont mind at all!! I just located a set of D&D pipes for the 99 chassis with canister for $100 so the guy is getting me a shipping quote now. Later today I am calling a guy on a belly pan & seat for the 96 and a cylinder. I have a extra set of heads. I PM Auggie on these Zrt600 engines and he said he had a hard time keeping rings in his as the bridge wears out the rings. I know why it does and its a simple fix if you have a mill and rotatory table. What you need to do on any bridged exhaust port is grind the bridge back .002 to .003 over the diameter of the cylinder. The reason why is because the bridge gets hot and swells into the cylinder and it wears out the rings faster than a non bridge exhaust because of the swell. This is the reason that Cat put two little holes in the piston where the bridge is. They are trying to control the bridge from swelling into the cylinder and it helps but does not cure the problem. It will be about 4 to 6 weeks before the sleds are in the shop for tear downs as i have a few other projects to finish before tearing these a part. Ya got to love projects!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts