Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to decide what to do about first sleds for my family for a while now. It hasn't helped that there is no snow to test ride but that's another story.

First some background. Family is me, wife, and two sons (8&9). We have never owned sleds before. I plan to buy from the Cat dealer I bought the ATV's from because he's been very good to us and I trust him to take care of us.

Anyway, he has two 440 Panther 2-ups on the lot. A 1996 with 520 miles and a 1997 with 2888 miles. Both look to be in very good shape, well maintained and clean. I can pick up both for somewhere around $4k.

My thinking was we get them, use them with the kids riding 2up for this year to get some experience all around, then in a year or two we give the kids the 440's and wife and I get some new sleds.

What do you all think? Good plan?

·
Registered
564 Posts
See I dont buy from dealers but thats ur choice :p. There are some reasons why not to and some why to. One main reason I dont buy from dealers is there prices. Some dealers arent very nice either. But now if u got a good dealer there is a positive side to it. Buying from them (this is from my own experience when my dad bought our fourwheeler and his motorcylce) now they are very helpful when u ask them. They also will check over the sled for you so u can get an understanding on it. Now there are also bad dealers that might just sell u a sled that they knew had a problem with it. But its hard to factor out ( u can say the same when buying any sled)

Also if u would like to check over them urself this is wat I did, I went here and read over it and tried to remeber most of it. Didnt work to well but I would recommened if u can print it out.

http://users.metro2000.net/~rmmc/usedguide.html

Now assuming these are both 440 pantheras just different mileage and years I would look up Used Snowmobile price on them which I will add my priceing of what I found here too. The prices I post are just asuming the both have 2-up seats no electric start reverse or anythng so if they do tell me I will repost the prices.

1997 440 panthera with 2-up seat - $1,350 - $1,785
1996 440 panthera liquid cooled with 2-up seat - $1,185 - $1,620
1996 440 panthera delux with 2-up seat - $1,125 - $1,540

For the 96 there was a few different one u might have looked out, there was a panthera delux, liquid cooled. I posted both the priceing for these but if u want more accurate numbers on them tell me with more specifics, E.g. reverse? electric start? no 2-up seat? trailer with that? if a trialer what year. Lots of stuff to look at :p. But for a dealer for just the 2 sleds I think its a bit over priced.... but thats my opinion, your money spend it how u please :p. I am just here to help out in the ways that I can.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback and info. I believe both sleds are electric start and reverse. I am also sure they are both fan cooled. I definitely plan to work with him on the pricing. I have an excellent dealer, he's very well regarded in the area and I have personally had very good dealings with him on my ATV's. I also know he will stand behind the sleds I buy from him so I don't mind paying just a bit more for that peace of mind. What would be a reasonable price to pay for these? Just the sleds, I already have a 12' snowmobile trailer that I use for my ATV's.

As for handing over the 440's next year. I value everyone's opinion on this. Our original plan was to get them Z370's but they have been hard to come by. Both boys are big for their age. My 9 year old is almost a hundred pounds and the 8 year old is not far behind. They are very athletic kids too. I know a 120 is too small for them which is why I was leaning toward this idea. Would these sleds really be too much to handle?

Cody, please don't take this as being in any way condescending but you write very well for your age.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ok this is a price for these 2 sleds with all the accesories almost. (Electric start, Reverse, and 2-up seats, ON BOTH) Now these prices arnt much hireing than the original but still make a difference.

1996 Arctic Cat Panthera 440 liquid cooled, all accessories - $1,175 $1,650
1997 Arctic Cat Panthera 440, all accessories $1,365 $1,905

Now even tho you said they were both fan cooled the price charts I looked at didnt have any 440 panthers for the 96 with fan cooled. The price I would try to get down if these are all in working order and all these goodies I would have to say. For a dealer u are looking at paying the highest price they can get out of the sleds. Which would be $1,650 & $1905, now if u add these together you get, $3555. These prices were based on mint condition sleds with decent mileage and they all pass basic emmision inspections. If this was me after I did my research I would try to get it down to a little under that $3500 if he would let u. I would try $3400 or so. But if he doesnt atleast try to get $3555 for it. These prices are from NADA Used Snowmobile pricing of course.

The higher number is the average retail and the lower number is the low retail. I am not sure how prices will change at a dealer as I never purchased any used units there. Good luck and thanks for the writing compliment. I have days where I can barely type a sentance and others when you can actually read it. :p

·
Registered
153 Posts
Might try ebay by slecting ebay motors and on the left pick a brand. There had been some good buys even for your area but right now it's slim picking.
With the lack of snow you can bet after the season, come April, there will be a ton of them listed.
Either way glad your getting into the sport and making it a family event. I can now say I have my granddaughters (4,6 & 9) hooked on it and they can not wait for a good snow and riding. :super_happy:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya I got all 6 of my nephews hooked onto riding the oldest being 5 the youngest 1. They all want to ride on my snowmobile. Me and my dad are looking to build a pull behind enclosed sled thing. Would be nice for them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CodyG, for being a young man I like you thinking. You seem to do you homework on here, helping people and are not smart [email protected]@ like some young's ones. Stay smart and have a good ridding season when it gets here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Cody! I'm going to see what I can do about those prices.

I'd like some more opinions about the viability of the boys driving these sleds within a year or two. Anyone?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would buy the sleds and get a feel for snowmobiling and most likely you will enjoy it as most of us do when the weather cooperates. it looks like you could wave some cash in front of your dealer (most likely livingstons) and buy them for $3200.00 to $3500.00. i would'nt turn those sleds over to your sons, i would trade them for larger wheelers which they are ready for or look at trading next season for 4 regular sleds as opposed to the two ups. imo

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya at age 11 I was riding a 1972 polaris cobra 340, and that was plenty for me at the time. Cause I remember when I first got it all I wanted to do was jump it. a 440 for a 9 yol only spells trouble :). But idk I have never owned a 440.

·
Registered
525 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BriN747 @ Jan 12 2007, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As for handing over the 440's next year. I value everyone's opinion on this. Our original plan was to get them Z370's but they have been hard to come by. Both boys are big for their age. My 9 year old is almost a hundred pounds and the 8 year old is not far behind. They are very athletic kids too. I know a 120 is too small for them which is why I was leaning toward this idea. Would these sleds really be too much to handle?[/b]

IMO I would think that those would be a little much for your kids to handle. My reasoning being the weight and length of the sled. I'm not sure what kind of riding you do, but if it is trail riding, typically a heavier sled combined with a longer track will require more ski pressure to turn which then means a little more muscle at the bars. These sleds also have a higher center of gravity as compared to a Z370 which means they'll be a little tippier and harder to handle. That being said, you could hand them down but it may not be much fun for them to ride.

A Z370, or equivilant, would be an excellent choice for your kids.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
1997 was a transitional year for the rear suspensions for Arctic Cat.

The 97 might actually be a significant upgrade from the 96, (13.5 inch travel over 8.5 inch travel) but I'm not familiar with those specific sleds and whether the new style suspension was across all models.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree with Kev on the suspension change. But Kev noted, it wasn't across the entire lineup. I am pretty sure it just included the ZRT, ZR, Thundercat.. and The EXT's. Not sure but I don't think that the entry level machines were on board with that untill 98.
Just my two.

·
Registered
912 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BriN747 @ Jan 13 2007, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks again Cody! I'm going to see what I can do about those prices.

I'd like some more opinions about the viability of the boys driving these sleds within a year or two. Anyone?[/b]

throw 2,800 in front of him and see what he says take it from there

·
Registered
35 Posts
The motors of the sleds & speeds are not exacltly what I would be concerned about, but for an 8&9 year old to be trying to handle the weight of a 550lb machine would worry me. They are nice sleds. We started on a 79 Jag 275cc, then went up to Z 440's (12 yrs old) & my dad got a panther 440 (all fans), then up to ZL 550's (14 yrs old) & my dad got a Pantera 550, then up to the F5 & a 440 SnoPro Liquid (16 yrs old), to now an F7 & an M7 18 & 19 yrs old.........you learn as you go I guess.

You should enroll your sons in a Snowmobile safety course. Though, in Wisconsin, you can't enroll till you're 12.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts