Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conditions vary across the country. Good or bad how did it go for you? Use a 1 thru 10 rating with 10 as good as it gets.

I will start. I snowmobiled in northern Mn. Wi. and Mi. Great conditions this year with no midseason meltdown. A solid 8 on the fun factor scale (5 is average). Perhaps unrelated I ended up with a proportional increase in miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
I'm putting my season at a solid 8 as well. I'm guessing you had a lot more miles, but I did better than many past season.
It was nice to see adequate snow across a larger spread in our region. It made planning and riding a lot more fun. Just thinking, I also realized that we never had a tow rope out of the bag all season. Maybe, I'll move it up to a 9 rating. Heavy rain cut a few trips short. It was impressive how fast conditions improved after the water stopped flowing. Have to give a shout out to the clubs for that one. (y)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
well I will say this, I sold my sled and trailer last March, and GLAD I did,
this yr I had access to a buddy's back up sled
BUT it never snowed all winter here, so, ZERO miles or rides in, according to weatherman last night on local news channel, its only the 5th time in my area's history of the past 100 yrs it didn;t snow, and two of the 5 times were in the past 7 yrs now??
in my local trails history, only been 2 times they have NOT opened in there 30 yrs, and well, again both times in the past 7 yrs and of the past 4 yrs trails were only open like 20 days combined the past 4 yrs!
last yr they were open like 4 days, and NOT all in a row LOL
its been a sad last decade for snowmobiles here! got tolike your truck and trailer to tow far and often if you want to ride anymore!

so,snowmobile yr?? WHAT snowmobile season???? was none here in NE Pa. that's for sure this past winter!
Glad I sold sled and trailer when I did and didn;t just loose more money in depreciation LOL

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Although I'm retired I didn't get out as much as I wanted to. My friends still work and they don't have sleds anyways. The one longer ride I did go on with my son had to be a 6. We didn't get a lot of snow in my area but just SE of us had more snow where we went. We really needed a couple more good dumps of snow to get a good base for grooming and make it last into spring a bit.
On our ride you could tell there wasn't a very good base as you felt the gravel spots and tree roots. I sold my Sabercat early in December as I only put 40 miles on it last year. Have roughly 200 miles on T660 and Bearcat this year and will probably add another 100 on the Bearcat while up north ice fishing. My son is moving out west this summer so my only sledding partner will be gone. Not really fun riding yourself. I just may end up selling the T660 next year. With that the 4 place trailer too. I just hate seeing the toys sitting.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would say mine was probably an 8 compared to previous seasons. Total for the year was 770 miles most of which were on my new 18 ZR 6000 SP! Cant say enough good about that sled, it was worth every penny. I was able to reconnect with some college buddies on a trip to Cable, WI early in the season and we had some of the best trails ive ever seen! Our local trails were open a fair amount allowing for several rides close to home with family. As a long time rider, its in our blood to always want more! Im thankful for the opportunities we had this season and hope next season has similar results.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In a word: short. Made it out 1 time, put 40 miles in. Number rating...3.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Over all I'd give it an 8.
Rode central & north eastern Minnesota for just under 3000 miles.
Thumbs up to the snowmobile clubs! With the high water, they encountered some unique conditions. Yet dominated, providing some of the best riding I'd ever had.
Very impressed with my 2017 ZR6000. Already looking forward to next season.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll give it a 7 for my first season after 30+ years off. Got about 370 miles on, mostly short rides from home in northern MN, all I had time for. But great fun getting started again on my 2020 ZR6000 - sleds have come a loooong way.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I’ll give it a 1 since 0 wasn’t an option. For me this was the season that never was. Despite all the early weather predictions for above average snowfall for my area this season, we ended up way below average for snowfall and never had any real rideable snow. Being busy with work and having my main riding partner unable to ride because of a broken finger made it difficult to trailer North to the snow. Sad to say it, but never turned a track this season.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Got more miles in the groomer than on the sled by far, but still had a good group at camp for off trail, the Pantera 1000 is running again and still whoops ass on the lake, the m8000 is a love hate relationship and I am reviving the rest of the old fleet for vintage, kids etc. It's a 9 and I might go grooming Friday yet if the weather holds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put mine at a 5. Here in northern PA we didn't get much for snow. Surprisingly though the trails in western PA held up well for a few weeks. Only put about 300 miles on the sled, but I'll take it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would say 8. Had snow come and go but for the most part it I was able to enjoy it when it was on the ground. First season with my son riding along with me on a “real “ sled. We had a blast and I believe he had close to 2000 miles and I had about 2600. My goal Was 3000 this year. Rode in central and northern Mn, northern Wi and upper Michigan Was able to ride out of the house multiple times during the week which I rarely have done in the past.
Big shout out to the groomers and their time getting the trails in great condition for the season.

best ride was leaving from home for a “quick” ride. Was suppose to be hot that weekend so nobody wanted to ride. So me and my son decide to go out for a lite ride. Started at 10:30am....203 miles later we made it back home for supper. Trails where perfect. The wife had the polaris app tracking us and when we made it home the pizza was cut and ready!

was hoping for one more ride but think it’s done especially with the rain and all the “other” stuff happing right now

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe 4 rating in my woods. Due to late season start, early shut down and some unexpected rains in the middle, my region had max 6 weeks of open OFSC trails. Of these 6 weeks, I had personal appointments and business trips of 2 weeks. Thus, only 4 weeks of riding time. Ouch! Hopefully, this coming winter (2020/2021) season will be better. If not, my 1999 Yamaha 600 sled will be up for sale. Only time will tell....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Short. Mother nature was late to the season and left early. We had contract/insurance issues between the Federation and local counties, once all was set... I lacked some time and last is Covid-19 that
closed the trails up north so it's game over after a little less than 500 miles

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I rate it at a 7 for this winter. I rode 3 different sleds this winter and haven't totaled them up yet. It will end up being between 2250-2400 miles for the season.

Here in Northwest Wisconsin, we had great conditions. We had a bit of a tough start due to all of the running water early in the season. I managed to sink a groomer twice in December. Again this year, we started grooming on December 4th and our trails closed last Monday. I spent 1-2 days/week in the groomer,and tried to ride 1-2 days/week. I rode from my door all winter, and only made one trip outside the area 2 weeks ago.

All in all, great winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Central WI and I went snowmobiling once on home turf. ONCE. That one time we went at home my cat died. I’m giving home ground a .5. We’re lucky enough to be able to go to the UP quite often and it’s almost always a 9 there! After my disappointment with my cat, 2nd year on this particular one, I ended up just switching to a newer ski doo and honestly never had an issue with it.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I live in Western Pa and we had about 'zero good days of riding locally. It did snow just barely enough for possible riding in the LH area here but I did not want to subject my carbides and studs to it so i passed and rode around my yard three times this season putting on around 4.2 mi on my 14' and about 10 mi on the 80 Blizzard. I'd rate local riding as a .5 also like Seeje mentioned. But the UP was great ! I'd put it at around a 9 also. 10 would have been having enough snow to ride through Newberry actually. A good year though. See my pics and tracklog from the UP ride HERE.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Northern Ontario/Quebec had an interesting winter. Snow pack was low, probably half of what had accumulated last yr. It was generally mild, but we never really had any rain so the snow we had (about 3 ft) stayed in great condition from December until about last week. Getting out for one more day on the ice with the sled Tuesday, then away she goes. I'd give it an 8, only because last year was so exceptional, it kinda spoiled us.

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
Northern Ontario/Quebec had an interesting winter. Snow pack was low, probably half of what had accumulated last yr. It was generally mild, but we never really had any rain so the snow we had (about 3 ft) stayed in great condition from December until about last week. Getting out for one more day on the ice with the sled Tuesday, then away she goes. I'd give it an 8, only because last year was so exceptional, it kinda spoiled us.
Close, but I still got less miles than you (2.3) around home. So I’ll put mine at a solid 1 .....

Snow took a while to get its rear into gear (after early December tease/storm we had), but by mid to late January, we were going fine around here in NW lower Mi. with snow coming in good amounts every few days (and cold weather to keep accumulations)

I was so busy at work that I was too ****ed to ride any other times, other than the day I pulled sled out to get my wife into the anticipation of piloting a modern sled.

Next season will change that though, anyone have a fan-cooled 440cc Cat of late 90’s to early 2000’s they’re interested in selling (without asking an ?? of a ??)?? We need to locate her a simple sled to operate that has decent suspension F & R.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts