Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never have done this before and this is a new sled to me. Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
569 Posts
first question is why? Many think they need springs because the sled won't rebound.......It is almost never the springs.....It is never the shocks......Most times it is cruddy, rusty axles in the suspension.....I have run two of the same chassis sleds for close to 30,000 miles with original springs riding two up almost the whole time......Both sleds springs are in great condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first question is why? Many think they need springs because the sled won't rebound.......It is almost never the springs.....It is never the shocks......Most times it is cruddy, rusty axles in the suspension.....I have run two of the same chassis sleds for close to 30,000 miles with original springs riding two up almost the whole time......Both sleds springs are in great condition.
I don’t think the springs are bad at all. I am replacing these because I weigh 250 lbs and am going to be building a rack to carry another 30-50 lbs of gear. These new springs are stiffer springs intended to help carry a bigger load

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
If you're just changing springs and not going through the skid, take out bolts for rear arm at side of tunnel to drop skid and track. It helps if you have a hoist in a garage to hold sled up in the air. Loosen track tension adjusters completely. The two upper idler wheels need to be removed with a special tool from Cat if wheel is left on. If you can get the at the clip to remove wheel off bearing, then you can use a 3 prong puller. Sometimes it doesn't take much to hammer the bearing off but you could damage the axle that the bearing slide onto. I'll attach a service manual link for you. Detailed instructions are in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're just changing springs and not going through the skid, take out bolts for rear arm at side of tunnel to drop skid and track. It helps if you have a hoist in a garage to hold sled up in the air. Loosen track tension adjusters completely. The two upper idler wheels need to be removed with a special tool from Cat if wheel is left on. If you can get the at the clip to remove wheel off bearing, then you can use a 3 prong puller. Sometimes it doesn't take much to hammer the bearing off but you could damage the axle that the bearing slide onto. I'll attach a service manual link for you. Detailed instructions are in there.
thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts