Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 crossfire 8 sno pro with a 2007 or older 153" m skid under it with an attack 20 track (which I am not real impressed with). I was out to the big horns twice this year and both times it really likes to dig a deep trench. I was wondering what I have set up wrong here is it in the suspension or just the track?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2010 crossfire 8 sno pro with a 2007 or older 153" m skid under it with an attack 20 track (which I am not real impressed with). I was out to the big horns twice this year and both times it really likes to dig a deep trench. I was wondering what I have set up wrong here is it in the suspension or just the track?
Issue one, get a better track that one is t helping anything at all.
Issue two, not really an issue but this helps alot. Do some resurch and do the geo mod. That will help your trenching issue a ton. By the track on Your sled is one if the worst.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Attack 20 track was not the optimum design and discontinued after 2 years. The design incorporated a paddle design that utilized a reversible capability. Rotating in one direction was the optimum for soft powder snow, installing it the other was was for hard spring like snow conditions. If you have it installed with the top lip of the paddle facing towards the rear of the sled it will dig horrible trenches in deep soft snow and you will have minimal braking ability on hard icy hills. Installing it with the top lip facing towards the front of the sled it will be better in deep soft snow but have limited traction and braking on hard pack.

Overall it was a bad design. Those of us who had to deal with this in 2005 and 2006 usually took a sharp knife and cut the top lip (about 1/4 inch) off each paddle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the clutch engages fine. I figured it was the track but just wanted to make sure, like I said I am not impressed with the track one bit besides i got a smoking deal on the track and skid package so i can afford to get a different one and pass the attack 20 onto the next sucker at a good price. What kind of tracks are you running? I have 2 buddies running the track with mostly paddles and a few fingers in each row with them (i believe off an hcr) and they had pretty good results this year. I can also try the geo mod, do you have any info to get me started?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well the clutch engages fine. I figured it was the track but just wanted to make sure, like I said I am not impressed with the track one bit besides i got a smoking deal on the track and skid package so i can afford to get a different one and pass the attack 20 onto the next sucker at a good price. What kind of tracks are you running? I have 2 buddies running the track with mostly paddles and a few fingers in each row with them (i believe off an hcr) and they had pretty good results this year. I can also try the geo mod, do you have any info to get me started?
Ill find a forum for you about the geo mod when I get on a computer, but the track you are talking about is the powerclaw. It's the track I run and I love it. It comes in a 2.25 and 2.6. If you can afford it get te 2.6 but I have the 2.25 with no complaints. The camo extreme is also a good track in a 2.5

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm far from being an expert. In the past year, I've put on maybe 200 mountain miles in the Sierra's on my 2004 King Cat 900.

From my limited experience, trenching comes down to throttle control and snow conditions. Cant help much otherwise than that. Arctic Cat has a decent product that works. Some people have problems, others don't. A new track may help, but it is NOT going to be the miracle you are hoping for.

Experience on a particular sled seems to make the most difference. Others reports positive results based on changes to the chassis and engine. In my opinion, getting out and riding helps the most. Understanding your ride helps immensely. How many miles do you have on this current model?

Newer models feel different when riding, and that's technology for you. Older sleds still have very good aspects. But errors made in the past seem to get fixed over time. Each year miraculously has new improvements.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run the Camo Extreme on mine. I think that trenching has more to do with throttle control and snow conditions. The light fluffy snow that we get in Northern BC can be a real bugger to get going in. My avatar pic shows the sled stuck in about 5 feet of powder.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You have a crossfire with an older M skid? Id suspect that your suspension could be a problem, if your track angle where it comes off your drivers is too aggressive. Just a thought. Try adjusting your suspension, or getting rid of your limiter strap?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your crossfire likely came with a 1.25" track, no? Two things that contribute to trenching: Poor snow evacuation in the tunnel (lack of clearance between lugs and heat exchanger or tunnel near drivers) and a bad approach angle. I read the GEO mod, it makes sense to set up your suspension properly but I have to wonder how relocating the front suspension arm to a lower position would help. Someone else may be able to verify, but perhaps the Crossfire does not have the same clearance to run a 2"+ track like the M does. Perhaps different size of driver or different driveshaft location? Just speculation.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your crossfire likely came with a 1.25" track, no? Two things that contribute to trenching: Poor snow evacuation in the tunnel (lack of clearance between lugs and heat exchanger or tunnel near drivers) and a bad approach angle. I read the GEO mod, it makes sense to set up your suspension properly but I have to wonder how relocating the front suspension arm to a lower position would help. Someone else may be able to verify, but perhaps the Crossfire does not have the same clearance to run a 2"+ track like the M does. Perhaps different size of driver or different driveshaft location? Just speculation.
As far as I can tell the track is not hitting the tunnel anywhere. I guess I thought putting an M skid in would help with the attack angle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's not quite that you're rubbing as that would be a worst-case scenario and you would expect poor performance. I'm referring to having some extra room in the tunnel - this is a bonus. I think for the time it takes and no cost, I would try moving the front arm up to the top hole in the tunnel if that still gives you adequate track clearance up top. See what it does. Another option could be to move the skid further back in the chassis and run a slightly longer track when you upgrade. Get the shallowest angle possible at the front of the skid so it's pulling snow under the track vs. cutting a path through the snow if you get my drift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.