Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While adjusting my oil pump linkage, I noticed that when the y-pipe is off I can clearly see the piston and rings. I have not seen anything like a vaLVE obstructing the exhaust flow. Is that normal .

Are the valve supposed to be open or close.

Greatmush

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
What you're seeing would be considered normal ... the APV's are closed until the engine hits a certain RPM. If you want to check your valves, pull the cable ends out of the servo motor housing. Once you have the end of the cable, pull on the exposed wire/barrell end ... you should be able to actually hear your valves click shut when you open them by pulling on the wire. If it pulls extremely difficult, and you don't feel like you're opening the APV, it's time to pull them and get them cleaned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Labontef8.

So they are suppose to go down only at certain rpm. Thanks . I was afraid that they were stucked up there. I thought that they were supposed open make the exhaust port bigger as the rpm increased.

Greatmush

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mush, the valves ARE supposed to be down, except past a certain RPM. Pretty hard to see them just by looking through the exhaust ports, as they really don't stick down that far. You should be able to FEEL them however, and should be able to press them upwards and then the spring pressure should force them back down in the down or "closed" position. – Roy

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Roy beat me to it ... thanks Roy! He's absolutely correct in that the valves are supposed to OPEN when you reach the target RPM (typically around 7K). So by default, the valves will be closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts