Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of keeping some extra oil with me just in case me or a buddy run low, but what's a good container for it? I buy my oil in 5L jugs so taking the whole thing with me is out of the question. I was thinking a water bottle but it seems way too flimsy. Anyone have any ideas for decent containers that will fit inside a saddle bag? Thanks! Kyle.

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Well you could get a new ski-doo etec, they get about 800 miles on a tank of oil.. naw, dont do that...lol
We used to get oil in a 1 quart container and put it in a soft tool carrier and rivot it to the belly pan under the hood, near the muffler. It worked decent. Cat used to sell single and dual oil holder just for that purpose but I havent seen them in years. They were made of steel.
Oh, here ya go, just found this.
Cargo Caddy | Spare Oil Storage | Hi-Performance Engineering

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Oil riding near the rear of the sled will take a beating, I'd store it near the center of the machine. Just use a regular one quart oil container i.e. valvoline of similar, maybe even use a little silicone on the cap for a good seal??

·
5,963 Posts
On the Zr 1 I put under the Pipe in the Front, there is a spot that is almost perfect for a quart of oil.

·
Registered
285 Posts
As long as the jug doesnt bounce around, almost any kind will hold up. Most water bottles are very flimsy though. Try to get a good toxic chemical container, they're built tough. Use up a jug of Draino around the house....and tell the wife that you are treating the drains, just in case... ;)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Always fill the oil tank at the start of each ride, always, always always. Like said previously, you should be able to run four, or five tanks of fuel on a full oil tank, so if you start each ride with full of oil you shouldn't be the moron asking for oil while on the ride. Buy a single litre of oil and keep that for an emergency. Don't open it untill necessary and don't refill it because the caps don't always stay on after the seal is broken.

·
5,963 Posts
^^^ Always filling the Oil is a great thing. TRUST ME I KNOW, My sled will only go two to two and a half tanks before empty though. I always carry enough. lol

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Yeah, same with the old ZR 700, about 2.5 tanks of gas and the oill light will come on. 12 gallon tank, 8 to 9 mpg, bout 100 miles.
So a 250 mile day and I need oil.
They say once the light comes on, ya can go another tank of gas, but I never push it. I even adjusted the oil pump down just a little.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
On the Zr 1 I put under the Pipe in the Front, there is a spot that is almost perfect for a quart of oil.
You are correct Pelle. I wonder how many other guys do this. On the last ZR/Tcat chassis, I actually store 2 quarts there on the left, held in place by a small bungee. I use quart bottles from my car oil, wrapped in heat tape.

What sled are you guys ridinv that get 4-500 miles from a tank of oil??? About 275 miles and my light comes on...01 Tcat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.