Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my speedo is reading incorrectly so i was told magnet might be messed up. I went out to look and i have no clue where to start. Do i need to take out the DD? Is the magnet behind the motor on the inside of the frame? any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
On the earlier models, there was a magnet that was seated in the end of the driveshaft. The sensor was part of the outer flange holding the drive bearing.

For the DD, I'm guessing that there is a similar sensor/ magnet system inside the DD gear-case.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Jan 5 2007, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For the DD, I'm guessing that there is a similar sensor/ magnet system inside the DD gear-case.[/b]
there is,, it's located inside the planetary ring gear,, the problem with the speedo here i'd bet, is the pickup itself, located on the outside of the DD case under the tunnel, look for the tiny wire headed from between the tunnels cut out and the DD case,, get a new one and folow the instructions in it, they are a PITA to non tech's,,,,,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. i thought it could be either the magnet was dirty or the sensor. didnt think abuot the wire. so i guess ill try and rip out the DD and see how things look from there

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BRAAAPF7 @ Jan 5 2007, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks for the info. i thought it could be either the magnet was dirty or the sensor. didnt think abuot the wire. so i guess ill try and rip out the DD and see how things look from there[/b]
the pick up is the sensor,, if you follow last instruction sheet I seen, you should not have to remove the DD (check out the instructions first) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i dont think u need to remove it but its a lot easier with it out. then ill also check the magnet in the gear u mentioned. lots of people have speedos that dont read btu mine still does. just reads messed up numbers. i dont really care to buy a new speedo.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You don't need to remove the DD to remove the speedo sensor. I had mine replaced under warrenty, and if I remember correctly the tech hoisted the rear end up as high as he could get it and went at it through the tunnel.

Heres a couple pics of a DD out and the sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the DD all apart. The only thing i can see the sensor picking up are the multiple copper looking pieces along the gear with 5 mini gears. Anyone know if this is true. And if it is was is read for speed how do u change it?

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
I researched these ckts this past fall to figure out how I could add the digital speedo to my 900 with DD. As it turns out the piece that goes inside the DD case has three small magnets that are contained inside a ring. (look on the parts breakdown) As these magnets pass the pickup it attracts the magnetic reed switch and closes a ckt which basically just pulls 5v to ground. This passes a pulse back to the speedo and that is how it sees a speed change. As each magnet passes by it passes that back. Pretty simple huh ? On non DD sleds like the T660 (which I adapted my setup from) they use only a single sensor on the end of the driveshaft. Also, on reverse gear setups like F3's without DD they have a similar setup. These setups only use one magnet and it's basically offset on the end of the shaft just enough for it to see the magnet pass by once in a single revolution. Not sure how well that will work at speeds above 100mph and that might be the reason they went to the 3 magnet setups. But these reed switches work pretty well since they are in a hermetically controlled enviroment being sealed in glass. We used to use these kinds of switches on Keyboards for computers back in the late 70's and early 80's. They were very reliable in operation with few failures (but they do fail and AC had some problems with them too).

good luck,
Steve (with the T660 hehehe)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this ring with the magnets. i think i found the piece if it is attached to 5 little gears. not sure how to replace magnet though. looks like special bolt. Guess ill find out tomorrow. better solve my problem

·
Registered
524 Posts
What is your speedo reading, too high? Too Low? or just wacked out and not reading or doing both? If you are runnint 10 tooth drivers, your speedo will be about 10% too slow

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i took c-note's advice and i ordered just a sensor before buying a speedo. sled has low miles. So i hope that solves the issue. thanks for the help c-note

·
Registered
686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nunavut_Crossfire @ Jan 8 2007, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is your speedo reading, too high? Too Low? or just wacked out and not reading or doing both? If you are runnint 10 tooth drivers, your speedo will be about 10% too slow[/b]
Question on how many tooth your drivers are-If changing drivers throws off the mph..will it also throw off rpm?

I'm not getting the engagement rpm I'm looking for and been through everything in the clutching, including a stiffer that specified primary spring and wondering if changing drivers and or speedo could contribute to an error.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rocket900 @ Jan 9 2007, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nunavut_Crossfire @ Jan 8 2007, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is your speedo reading, too high? Too Low? or just wacked out and not reading or doing both? If you are runnint 10 tooth drivers, your speedo will be about 10% too slow[/b]
Question on how many tooth your drivers are-If changing drivers throws off the mph..will it also throw off rpm?
[/b][/quote]
are you meaning ''off'',, AKA, rpm's being off vs what other toothed driver setup was due to different drivers changing ratio?

·
Registered
686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Jan 9 2007, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rocket900 @ Jan 9 2007, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nunavut_Crossfire @ Jan 8 2007, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
are you meaning ''off'',, AKA, rpm's being off vs what other toothed driver setup was due to different drivers changing ratio?
[/b][/quote]
I'm just trying to figure out why my engagement rpm is lower than it should be and wondered if different speedos have anything to do with it? My speedo is out of a 660 Turbo sled and it has a different pt# than the F7, so at this point that could be the cause. Also I'm running 10 tooth drivers in the 04..so I can see that messing up mpg-maybe but not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
There is a jumper than can be added for 10 tooth drivers. It's electronically selectable on these speedo setups. I found that in the wiring diagrams.
As for the sensor. My comments still hold. They are reliable but not perfect and they do fail. The early models of AC had problems and they really do run them at the limits of the specs. (which will help them to fail)
As for the RPM's. Remember that on a T660 the tach signal is generated by the computer. Not by the engine. It passes a tach like signal to the speedo. In a conventional engine the tach signal is generated by the AC pulses coming from the lighting coil. As for what I found, It looked to me like they used the same design tach/speedo for both the T660 and the F-sleds. But in my case I got one from a F6 to use on my 900 so I don't have any experience with that. And on mine it works fine. (no snow still though to test it out reliably... but it works fine in the garage)

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts