Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
btt

what an excellent post.. kewlpics ..figured i would bring it back to discussion.

thanks to bayoucats for pointing it out to me. :chug:

gonna do my fronts in the next few days.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Would you like this topic pinned? I'm pretty sure I can get the mod's to go for it..............tigger

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
yeppers on the pinned "how to work on your own atv" topics..lol
Im next in line in a couple weeks, and will also be pulling the dust covers as most of the trails in our state are usually sandy type, and very dusty.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
I pinned it for the time being.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy Folks,

I left this topic in "general ATV" and only got one response...I'm currently trying to replace the seal at the front of the rear diff, seems to be leaking as there are oil splatters all over the insides of my rear tires.

I've yanked the axles (btw, the rear right one came out slick, the rear left one needed some major persuasion, clamped a pair of vice grips to the axle, tied a loop of rope together and looped it over the axle on the opposite side of the vice grips, ran my trailer hitch through the loop for some "jarring weight" and let 'er rip, nearly went thru the garage wall but the axle came out, sorta a poor mans slide hammer!!)

Anyways, I'm now trying the get the drive shaft out of the rear diff and believe I need to take the 4 bolts out of the union that joins the axle to the shaft coming out of the motor and then should be able to work with it from there...does this sound right to anyone?? Please advise.

P.S.-wish I would have read this post before I changed MY rear axle seal, changed it out but didn't use any grease, is this going to pose a problem?? Maybe I should just replace them both (and use grease!!) while I have the axles out?? Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where is everyone buying their updated seals from. I do not have a Local dealer any longer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great topic and posts ,
My right front seal is leaking pretty bad and getting ready to replace it.
I've noticed that the right front seems to be the most common seal to fail?

Any how ,these step by step pics really help .
Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
great thread

quick follow up question, i just did my right rear and need to do my left front. do you need to locktite the A-Arm bolts? during re-assmembly? What about the shock bolt and screw???

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yamaguy? @ Aug 30 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Where is everyone buying their updated seals from. I do not have a Local dealer any longer.[/b]
Anybody know the best place to order? Does Babbits have the new seals?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
just changed mine, I used a 3/4 opened end wrench, stuck it in there, 2 taps with a hammer it was out! after about 15 min trying to get the new seal in I put it in the freezer for 2 hrs , it went right in!!! try that

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great job...Would have been nice to have this when I did my fronts for the first time! Rockerdude

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the tips, is there a seal where the drive shaft goes into the diff. Noticed a leak from there on mine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great article. I had pulled my front axles to replace the cv boots and having no leaks before I removed the axles, I now have the right front leaking after the axle was re-installed.
I pulled the seal with a special screwdriver looking tool used for popping the plastic panels from vehicle doors. It worked well for the job.
I have the new seal on order from Country Cat, the only place to buy new parts, and I will try the 'freezer' method before installing. I've used that technique in the past and it usually works well.
I will stop and buy the grease today as I was wondering what type to use and I found the answer here. Great tip!
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got the seal in yesterday, threw it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Put some Red & Tacky in the flange area, inserted the frozen seal, tapped it in all the way, re-inserted the axle, topped off the differential fluid, and put it all back together. Took about 30 minutes from start to finish. Took it for a test drive and so far, no leaks. Looks good and dry. Taking it to the ranch on Saturday and we'll see how she does after 5 + miles of running through the brush. Hoping no leaks by the time we are done. Thanks again for the info on such a great Arctic Cat website.
Love my cats!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello and thanks to everyone for all the info on this thread. I am in the middle of replacing the front right and rear right diff seals but and a little confused and flustered about what to do about greasing the outer edge of the seal before putting it in. The service manual says to use a moly grease, the folks on this thread are saying to use the Red N Tacky, but a few mechanic friends of mine and the mechanic down at our local Artic Cat dealer told me to put the seal in dry, don't grease the seal edge or housing because it can pop out. So..... can someone tell me if there's a secret reason to use the Red N Tacky (or any grease for that matter) that my dealer hasn't yet heard about? They did say to grease the inside of the seal so at least we are on the same page there.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts