Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would put this together for you guys. I had a couple emails asking me about it, so I had some leaking, and thought i'd run with it.
I must say, that I am NOT a certified mechanic. Some of this may or may not be good practice, and if anyone has a better way or safer way of doing this, please feel free to add to it.

Time frame: 1.5 hours

Sooo, here we go

Assuming you have the quad, lifted,stabilized,Diff fluid drained, wheels removed,upper and lower A arm bolts removed, and the A arms taken off.You dont have to remove the axle from the knuckle,hub, etc..

Grab the axle with a good strong hand, and pull!

Now you see the seal.
I use a thin flat head screw driver, and tap it in gently, between the seal, and housing.( Where aluminum meets rubber) This will distort the seal,and you will be able to pry it out enough to pull it out with your fingers. PLEASE be careful, as you can damage the housing. It can take some pretty good knocks, but just let the flat head do its thing. You may have to pick a couple spots and do it.

Once the seal is removed, Clean and inspect the housing

Here is the Old seal and new updated seal.

Now, use some quality marine grease,red and tacky, or some other realy good synthetic grease, and grease the housing, where the new seal will go, and al the outer part of the new seal.

Next, set the new seal in place, as fluch as possible. It will not go all the way in by hand, but getting started in there straight will save you a lot of cussing later.
Then, I use a small flat punch, and I patiently tap around the outer edge of the seal at opposite ends, so it stays straight going in. When its completely seated, the outside rubber edge of the seal will be flush with the aluminum housing.

Now with the new seal in, its time to grease it up!

And your done!

Well, you have to re-install your suspension, axle etc.. Just reverse your steps!

Any questions just ask!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
good write up! i packed the entire space between the seal & housing (not the gears) w/red n' tacky.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dreggsta @ Nov 25 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
good write up! i packed the entire space between the seal & housing (not the gears) w/red n' tacky.[/b]
Thanks man
Yup. I forgot to mention that. I did not do it to these. Reason being, I want to see if they will hold up with out it, and not leak.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
THANKS!!! thumbguy
Getting ready to change my rear ones...

Question?? What is Red & Tacky

Was never into boat stuff....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a grease. Autozone, Oreily's etc has it. Any good marine, or synthetic will do

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatKraz @ Nov 25 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Its a grease. Autozone, Oreily's etc has it. Any good marine, or synthetic will do[/b]
Thanks

I'm also working on my own style axle removal tool, will post when finish. I could not pull out the axle by hand when I had to change a boot.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bayoucats @ Nov 25 2008, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatKraz @ Nov 25 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a grease. Autozone, Oreily's etc has it. Any good marine, or synthetic will do[/b]
Thanks

I'm also working on my own style axle removal tool, will post when finish. I could not pull out the axle by hand when I had to change a boot.
[/b][/quote]

Some are tuff!! but they will come out, just have to put one leg up on the frame for leverage, and yank!
unless you have gorilla's!

Dont forget to push in on the axles. This will make the race and cage inside the cv joint slide inward and to the back of the cup. It will then act as a slide hammer, when puuling on it.

Thats cool about the cup puller bayou! let us know!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would suggest just using a hammer to pry the old seal out. Just barely put the claw part on the inside of the seal and pry back like you were pulling a nail. It comes right out and you don't have to worry about scoring the housing. It has worked for me several times. By the way, I haven't found red & tacky at Autozone. I must be looking in the wrong place I dunno

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (truponycar @ Nov 26 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would suggest just using a hammer to pry the old seal out. Just barely put the claw part on the inside of the seal and pry back like you were pulling a nail. It comes right out and you don't have to worry about scoring the housing. It has worked for me several times. By the way, I haven't found red & tacky at Autozone. I must be looking in the wrong place I dunno[/b]

Go to O'reilys they'll have it.

I've thought about using the hammer, but worried Ill bend the lip on the housing, Guess not. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dreggsta @ Nov 25 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
good write up! i packed the entire space between the seal & housing (not the gears) w/red n' tacky.[/b]
Yes pack it good :) I have been using Lucas RED&TACKY marine grease but i have heard Royla Purpel has some very good mairne grease as well..

also if you ride very much mud at all knock off the dust sheilds off the axles, these will hold mud then it drys and tears the seals up.
If you dont ride Mud all the time i would clean the dust sheild good and pack it full with marine grease and then install, One its in then wipe off the extra this will help keep mud/water out and also keep the seal lubed much better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bayoucats @ Dec 6 2008, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Again!!!!

Just Finish what a help....[/b]
Good deal! Glad to help.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gwc @ Dec 7 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dreggsta @ Nov 25 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes pack it good :) I have been using Lucas RED&TACKY marine grease but i have heard Royla Purpel has some very good mairne grease as well..

also if you ride very much mud at all knock off the dust sheilds off the axles, these will hold mud then it drys and tears the seals up.
If you dont ride Mud all the time i would clean the dust sheild good and pack it full with marine grease and then install, One its in then wipe off the extra this will help keep mud/water out and also keep the seal lubed much better.
[/b][/quote]

True that! Started putting that to practice as well!
Thanks G!

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Good timing on this thread. Just found out yesterday that I have to do my rears. THANKS AND GREAT WRITE UP!!!

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
So, here it goes...
After disassembling springs and arms and brakes you have...

A few good tugs on the axle and she'll pop out...

A few good pry's with the claw hammer and it'll work out... careful not to score the housing...

got everything nice and cleaned up...

new seal...coated it down with some red&tacky #2...

this part was a lil aggrevating till you say the right words then she'll start working her way in...

I knocked the dust shield off and cleaned it up...

put it back in and a few good shoves later...

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's the 1st time I've seen 1 with the dust shield off. So it's ok to just leave the seal exposed like that?!? I know everyone says to do it, but it looks like it would tear up more easily. I guess if nothing is trapped and rubbing on it, it won't wear down as fast. Thanks for the pics!

P.S. I don't think your dog liked having its picture taken!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
if you look at the third pic, you can see all the grit and crap that can sit in there. Mine actually had a small twigg in it, so its understandable that leaving it on could cause more havoc than taking it off...so I'm gonna give it a run and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
DAM!!!!

After I put it all back together you post about the dust covers>>>> bang your head :rofl: slaphappy

The only issue I can think of with the covers removes if you use a pressure washer water may get in...

Now that I know what I'm doing the next time may install extra axle, take bad dust cover off and try one on each side little R&D....

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
yeah, I thought about that. Leaving one on, taking another off, but I said oh well. GWC took his off, so its got to be the right thing to do! :goodmod: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive had mine off for 2 rides now. The grease I packed around the seal still looks fresh, and still in place! I pressure wash too.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I have 550 miles on mine with no dust covers on the rears and my seals are fine, after i wash my quad and clean it all up i spray the seals with chain lube so they dont get dry from the soap.

When i stuck the fronts back in i left the dust covers on and packed the whole thing with marine Grease and aroud another 100 miles or so i am going to pull them off to see if the grease has stayed in and protected the seals or not, so far it still looks to be in place for the most part.
But if nothing else its better to just take them off imop.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts