Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a quick how-to for any cat with a front universal joint in the drive shaft between engine and front diff.

1– Jack up the front and put it securely on jack stands. Remove both front wheels. I removed the skid plate as well as it is easier to access from the bottom. Remove the bolt from your upper left hand A-Arm and move it up and out of the way. You will need the room later to get the diff bolt out.

2- Remove the two bolts holding the front diff in place. You will need to move the diff forward, later to get the U-Joint out.

3- Remove the c-clips from the u-joint only on the yoke that is connected to the engine . You can hammer from one side till the other cap is far enough out to grab it with a vise grip. Then pound it back the opposite direction to remove the second cap. You can also use a c-clamp to press it out.
I modified an air chisel attachment and it worked great to pop them out.

4- Now you can pull the u-joint out of the engine yoke by sliding the front diff forward and turning the u-joint.
Now slide the rubber boot off the diff side yoke. Then slide the yoke off of the splines and you are clear. Be careful here as there is a spring inside that will pop out.

5-

5- I left the the other two caps in place as it is much easier to work on it while at the workbench. Now remove the other two caps using a vise, c-clamp or a hammer and punch. I again used the air chisel to pop them out quickly and easily.
6- Now you can start the process of putting back together. Start by cleaning everything up really good as it will help for assembly. First place one cap in the yoke with just light pressure and slip the new joint into it. Be careful you don’t want to dislodge the needle bearings. Now place the second cap in the yoke lightly. Try to center the joint between the two caps so nothing falls out. Now you can press them into place , again using a vise or c-clamp. Once in place install the c-clips. A trick I learned years ago is to magnetize the c-clips as they stay where you put them.

6- Now remove the other two caps and be careful to keep everything clean. Slide the yoke onto the driveshaft making sure the spring is in place. Slide the boot over the yoke as it will keep it clean and keep it in place.
7- Now maneuver the universal into the engine side yoke by reversing the above procedure. Install the caps lightly and center the u-joint in the caps. Again a c-clamp is the best choice as you won’t dislodge the needle bearings. Once the u-joint is part way into the caps on both sides you can use a hammer and drift punch. As soon as you get one cap far enough in install the c-clip and then get the other one in.

8- Replace the front diff bolts and torque to 38 ft. lbs. ( check your torque specs)
9- Replace upper A-Arm bolt and torque to 50ft. Lbs. (check your spec).
10- Reinstall your skid plate.
11-Reinstall your wheels , torque to spec and your done!!
Steel 40ft. Lbs.
Aluminum 80 ft. Lbs.
check your spec.

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Excellent write up! Can’t wait for the movie lol.

·
Administrator
40,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What the old write up with photos isn’t good enough for you guys anymore?

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nice write up !!!
The youtube videos are way too long and boring. Most of them are just wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts