Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have asked how to change there track. This is how i did it on my 09 XF8.

1. Take your belt off. Take your bolt out of the secondary, flip around the belt adjuster and tighten your bolt again, this will spread the secondary enough to take the belt off.

2. Take the belt guard off the foot well. This will allow the DD to slide out.

3. Take out the 1/2" /13mm lock nuts off the DD case. 8 of them

4. Now its time to loosen the track. take a 9/16 wrench and loosen the jam nut.

5. Loosen the long 9/16 bolt a ways back so the rear idler wheels can slide forward to make more room.

6. Take a small screw drive and pop off the little black cover to access the bolt that holds the rear idler wheels. take 2 9/16 sockets and loosen the bolts.

7. I used a come along to lift the rear end of the sled.

8. Now take the spring slide off and reposition the spring so it is off the triangle. this will relax the rear suspension so its easy to take out the skid bolts. (CAUTION: SPRING WILL HAVE TENTION, CARE MUST BE TAKEN)

9. Now take out the rear suspension bolts. 9/16"

10. now take out the front bolts, there is lock nuts on the inside. 9/16"

11. now slide the skid frame out of the track.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
12. Put the parking brake on, grab a 16mm and 16" of extensions and now take out the bolt in side the brake rotor. Use a magnet to put the bolt out.

13. Now its time to pull the DD case, grab the shaft for the secondary and give it a good wiggle, It can come out hard, so use caution if you pry on it.

14. Go to the back side of the brake rotor and take off the the 1/2" or 13mm lock nuts off. 5 nuts.

15. Now the drive clogs will fall and give you room to take the track off. It will give you a hard time and it wasn't easy but it can be done.

16. Grab the new track and slide it back in there. I did it by my self so i used a jack to hold up the driver clogs and then lined up the brake rotor studs, then put the DD case back in. Tighen all Nuts on the brake rotor then on the DD case.

17. While the skid was out i put new slides on and greased it up.

18. put the skid frame back in, rear first and then slide the front in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
19. Time to put in the front skid frame bolts. I used a 55 gal bucket wheel thingy to lift the front up to line up the holes.

20. Put in the rear skid frame bolts in and tighten ALL 4.

21. put the belt guard back on the foot well.

22. Put the secondary clutch back on and put the belt on.

23. Tighten up the rear idler wheel bolt up a bit and follow cats track tightness directions, don't forget to tighten the jam nuts and idler wheel bolts. 9/16"

I did all this all by myself and only took 1 hr 10 minutes and I took Pics.

What did i miss?

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I've seen your posts on SW & BCR, (I'm backcountryislife on those) good to have someone who takes pride in a complete explanation. It makes a big difference when you're doing something for the first time to have a post like this to refer to.

nice job!

I still haven't pulled my bearing from my DD, but when I do I'l be looking for that other post, the most I've done in the DD is pull the cover & inspect quick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a great write up and will be used on two sleds in my garage this week. Both 09 M8's with blown out steering post stops, through the bottom of the tunnel/where the tunnel connects to the radiator. Its a very bad design!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Great job showing how to do this. I took apart the skid in my M6 the other day and now a can't get it back it. I got the front bolts in but the back ones are off by an inch. It's like the suspension needs to be compressed for them to fit. I'm just wondering if you had the same problem and what did you do about it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
97cougar, You are right, your suspension needs to be pulled in to line up the rear holes. Do this with a ratchet strap looped parallel to the rear shock so as you ratchet, it pulls the suspension in and lines up the bolts.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Great job showing how to do this. I took apart the skid in my M6 the other day and now a can't get it back it. I got the front bolts in but the back ones are off by an inch. It's like the suspension needs to be compressed for them to fit. I'm just wondering if you had the same problem and what did you do about it?

If you have the Cat spring tool take the short leg of the torsion spring off the block. The skid will collapse and can be re-installed in 5-10 minutes. Same thing taking a skid out, I never loosen the track, take the short leg of the spring off the block and blast all four bolts loose with an impact, lay the sled on one side and lift the skid out of the track. I always take the nut off and remove the drive shaft from the rotor if for nothing else but to put a little anti-seize on the splines so it is not stuck the next time it needs to come out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone be able to help me out with the torque spec on the brake rotor nut for an 06 M-7? I wrote down the through bolt torque, clutches, diamond drive etc... But missed the nut.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On 2008 Crossfire 800 the reverse motor would come into play, do disconnect or does that come out with DD unit? Where is speedometer connection the brake side? If change oil when is realistic time that bearings need to be replaced. have 4500 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Steering post upgrade

I've got a 2010 Crossfire 8, and would like to replace my stock steering post, with one from a SnoPro. The SnoPro and LE models have the steering posts that extend and retract. My question is.....does the whole steering post assembly have to be replaced, or just the top section? How much work has to be done to do this? Just checking to see if it's worth the effort. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the great explanation and pics. Did exactly what you said, and it worked great. Changed the track on my '10 Croossfire 8 and went almost as planned. The only obstacle I had was that I had to remove my factory exhaust can to get the brake assembly to tip a little steeper. Then the track slide right off the cogs. Keep those type of posts coming. Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
The pictures dont show on the site. Any chance you created a pdf of this write up? BTW excellent write up, the pictures are probably just a nice addon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts