Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my dad went and picked up the 1999 500 that i posted on here yesterday but forgot to ask how often to change the oil. the guy said they just changed all the fluids, so when do i need to do it agian? Any other routine maintinace i should be planing on ?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I change the oil in mine at least twice a year, depending on how much I ride it. Usually once after summer then once just after winter. Because during the winter I ride quite a bit

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
I change it every 1000 miles or so. My 09 has only been changed once with only 700 miles on it. But, it's kept in a climate controlled atmosphere. This question will get you alot of different answers.
If you go over the tires in water, might want to change it more often.
Average is about once a year, but miles per year, riding conditions, play a huge part in it. Keep your eye on the level, they dont hold alot of oil to begin with, so if it leaks a bit or uses some, stay on top of it. VERY important to use the correct oil to start with. Wrong oil =
slipping internal clutches.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My theory is when it gets dirty or once/twice a year. The manual usually says every 500 miles but if you ride dusty conditions id either make sure to do it every 500 miles or sooner depending. I ride the woods for hunting and trails so its a mix of dusty and slow going trail riding. I may put 200-300 miles on mine a year so i dont change it much. My 700 uses about 3.5 quarts of oil and I figured since my wifes 4 cylinder car uses 4 quarts and only gets changed every 4,000 miles im doing pretty good changing mine once a year. again extreme dusty,hot,conditions or climates are the main reason for frequent changes. I sometimes think some change too often but its better than rebuilding an engine or replacing it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I change mine every 50 hours or 500 miles. I ride in muddy, wet and dusty environments so I change it more often than what the manual calls for.

I think twice a year and/or once ever 1000miles/100hours is perfectly fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts