Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still deciding what to buy. Are atvs adequate plowing machines? My driveway is 300 feet long and double wide. Thinking about a 650 H1 TBX.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
my 400 pushes snow no problem so i would say yes without a doubt it will be more than adequate i dont know exact amounts of snow because we havent had much this year but over a foot no problem. look into the arctic cat setup thats what i have and i love it easy to mount and dismount and the polyethelene sheds snow excellant

·
Registered
239 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Dangler @ Mar 8 2007, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Still deciding what to buy. Are atvs adequate plowing machines? My driveway is 300 feet long and double wide. Thinking about a 650 H1 TBX.[/b]
Unless it's 300 feet straight up, it should be more than adequate :)

Just keep up with it. Pushing more than 2 feet deep at a time is hard for any plow, because it has trouble throwing it. Good news is that the 'Cat can usually handle that with more than one pass :)

-DiskDoctr

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm in Ontario too. I push 150 or so feet triple wide with a 2005 500 auto with stock tires. I did it with a Cat 300 before that. No problems at all with either machine. The biggest thing is finding room to put the snow, if you make sure you push it into a ditch or something or make a pile at the start of the year, you wont have trouble at the end of February finding room to put snow after you get big a snow storm.

·
Registered
279 Posts
the 650 will have more than enough pwr to push snow, mind the atv,s width when buy,in plow you dont want tires outside of plow width.
only time any atv has problem plowin is when snow is wet , this is half blade time!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moogwag @ Mar 8 2007, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
only time any atv has problem plowin is when snow is wet , this is half blade time!!

:thumbsup:[/b]

This is the problem I am having here - the snow in our area commonly referred to as Sierra Cement.

VERY high water content. It becomes a real mess (like now) when it starts to get a little warmer and a slushy snotty mess..

Had a very difficult time on the last snow just due to water content. couldn't handle much more than a couple of inches per pass. Just way to heavy. Asphalt plowing was much better just to to slide factor over pavement. Dirt roads for me a real pain though due to narrow width. NOT double wide.. barely single wide..

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dad has a '00 350 bigbear 4x4 and he pushes 2 feet of snow with it using a 48" blade. The only trouble we would have would be plowing up the driveway which is a 30degree angle and sometimes theres drifts 3-4 feet high with 25" mud lite xls, so i'd say the h1 should have no trouble plowing with the extra power and the weight for pushing it i'd say go for it.

Ac King

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I just got done moving a 6' wide by 2' high furrow of wet snow (it was 40 degrees today, so it was half water). Moved it like a champ. You aren't going to plow 2' of snow at a crack with any ATV...lucky to do it with a truck really. However, as stated above, keep up with it and you'll be AOK. I plowed 12" of snow the other day and my H1 kept asking me when I was going to put it to work. :p

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
How much snow could a snow plow plow if a snow plow could plow snow?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I have not found them necessary at all. If you plan on plowing on ice (lakes, ponds, etc...) then yes, but on pavement or gravel, I've not found a need for them. Had some, didn't use them, sold them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe I'm just not angeling the blade enough and "pushing" to much.. vs letting it flow off the blade??

Like you said Sanny, when I can keep up on it NO problems.. This stuff packs so damn quick though kinda of a loosing battle.. Coming home and finding out all of the lovely folks with 2WD "tried" to make it back to the neighbors house. The road not being exactly flat (dirt road) probably isn't help my cause much either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
look into the arctic cat setup thats what i have and i love it easy to mount and dismount and the polyethelene sheds snow excellant[/b]
what he said :thumbsup:

I have a 500 automatic and no problems at all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I plow with my 500 TRV. It's handled up to a foot of the wet stuff and 18 inched of the dry stuff without a problem. i have a 300 ft long driveway.

A few tips that have worked well for me.

1: I spray the blade down with silicone every couple of uses to keep the snow from sticking.

2: If it's deep I angle the plow and do multiple passes, first clearing the edges, then the middle. This way I'm not pushing all the middle stuff out then having to puch a double load at the edge.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have a driveway that is 600 feet long andf I plow it to about 150 feet wide in the winter to make sure I do not run out of room for more by the end of the year, this year not much snow but I did have some banks that were 4-5 feet high and did them with my '05 500 like nothing.. It will almost push as much snow as a 1/2 ton PU as long as it isn't hard like a rock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts