Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I didn't buy this for gas Mileage. Im just wondering if something is wrong. I have ridden this sled twice. Both times on a trail ride that was mostly 40-50 MPH. A few blasts in the fields. Im getting 8. The sleds has BM trail pipes, trail port, and 2 deg. advance keyway.

Im curious what everybody else gets. My old ZRT 800 with D&D trail ported 900 cylinders and D&D trail pipes would get 10-11 all the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's about it with the mods you have.

My 98 stock with Boyesen Reeds and clutching got about 12-13 mpg on easy trail riding. 14-15mpg when my wife took it off my hands, but that was a 100# less rider, still a heavy thumb.

My 99 with Fett Bros porting, stock pipes, reeds, air box lid and clutching got about 9-10mpg in mild trail riding.

Check you plugs to see if your jetting is good. And make sure the track tension isn't off. That eats MPG fast! And lastly the clutching. Properly set up, no worn out bushings or wgts. Fresh springs (yearly or 2000 miles on springs for best clutch effiency). You can sometimes get more performance AND better MPG with the things I mentioned.

For comparision only...my wife's 04 ZR9efi got about 15-16mpg, no matter how it was ridden, and used 1/2 the oil of the T/Cat. Same for my ZR8efi.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey Beagle1,

How have you been? I have been riding the T-cat and I couldn't believe how great the gas mileage was. I was getting about 14 to 15mpg which is almost the same with my F6 EFI.

From what I hear if your snowmobile has pipe it would eat up your gas mileage little bit but I may be wrong.

Arcticboy's 00 T-cat with shaved head was getting around 15mpg with his 300lb fat ass.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Buddy had an '02 T-Cat with 1080 kit, ported etc. and jetted real safe for Northern Ontario.
Trail riding with occasional lake crossing blasts = 99 miles from full tank to tow rope (confirmed twice :boohoo: ).
If it's a 12 gal. tank then that's 8.25 mpg.

·
Registered
71 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MasterF6 @ Jan 31 2007, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Beagle1,

How have you been? I have been riding the T-cat and I couldn't believe how great the gas mileage was. I was getting about 14 to 15mpg which is almost the same with my F6 EFI.

From what I hear if your snowmobile has pipe it would eat up your gas mileage little bit but I may be wrong.

Arcticboy's 00 T-cat with shaved head was getting around 15mpg with his 300lb fat ass.[/b]
Glad it's still running good for you. I sure miss. Heck I miss all my sleds now that I am sledless. Sure wouldn't mind a pair of his & her ZR9s or Thundercats again. Next year maybe. You wouldn't believe how fast my wife's ZR900wfi was. Hate to say it, faster than the T-cats.

I don't want to chase 300 mile days anymore. Just some fun once in a while like I did when I was 16.

Yeah, it's no secret...THUNDERCATS WITH AFTERMARKET PIPES USE GAS! Wrapping or ceramic coating can help a little.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have reeds and D&D air box lid.

My old ZRT 800 with ported D&D 900 cylinders always got 13-14. I was kinda schocked when the gauge was on Pedestrian.... :help

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I'm interested to see what I get this weekend. Will be the first ride with my '01. The only thing I've done to it is V-force 3's and Tempa flo. The rest of the sled is stock except for the recent 136" stretch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why is everyone so hung up on V-Force? PR I guess.

You want to use gas...keep using V-Force. My dyno experience and real world experience says you don't need them without porting or aftermarket pipes. If you are going to go balls out, then buy cages. Other wise, petals alone are better.

Give me Boyesen petals on a stock engine any day. And I bet you will pick up 2-3mpg. Ask Master F6 how is T/Cat runs that he got from me.

To each their own :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I have no dyno experience Beagle, so I'll have to take your word there. But my seat-of-the-pants experience has shown me that on my 800+ cc sleds, they do make a difference. My dealer has many wins under his belt, and I tend to trust his judgement too....he hasn't led me astray yet. He had my ZR8 set up to rock-n-roll. On my next sled, maybe I'll try just the petals like you mention. Oh, and I haven't noticed a decrease in mpg's with the reeds, maybe I've been lucky.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With all those wins...were there other mods? I will say the V-Force do help a bunch with other mods, but am not sold on stock engines...sorry.

And though you didn't see a decrease in MPG, I personally see an INCREASE in MPG with Boyesen petals. Verified on the snow and the dyno. Back to Back to Back tests with V-Force, Boyesen and Stock. (Stock engine though).

Like I said, to each their own. I personally feel V-Force are way over rated and expensive for the cost vs. HP. Now throttle response you can feel, and I can agree that you will feel better response with any reed other than stock. So in your butt, it will feel faster, and maybe RPM faster, but not neccessarily make more HP.

My big turn off with the V-Force came when I called them about EFI sleds and THEY HAD NO CLUE whether their own product helped or not. Flat out couldn't answer the question. And the guys from there did tour the facility I used to work at, so I thought maybe they knew something about EFI.

At least Boyesen is smart enough to make EFI and Carb reeds. So there is a difference IMO.

I apologize for the lengthly post, I didn't want to get into another V-Force vs. everything else debate again. Anytime I mention my dislike for them someone gets offended ( I know you didn't TallCool1, and thank you). But I feel if you do the same thing everyone else does, you will only be as fast as they are.

A positive I will admit about V-Force is that they are much easier to tune than Boyesen from idle to 1/4 throttle. Boyesens can be a huge PIA with pilot jetting. But I'll only own EFI now anyhow Rockerdude

·
Registered
175 Posts
slaphappy 23/39 gearing with a 136 1.5 and 100miles to tow rope and any time you put on 100 miles there is all types of riding. Who can get over 10mpg .really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts