Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 zr500cce with a 1 1/4 track (121") and am thinking about trying stud boy deuce bars. Is 6" carbides too much? I have 4" doolys on it now but didn't turn the way I was expecting plus I thought they had a lot of drag. What about stud boy shaper bars? Any input would help. I dunno

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go to the Bergstrom Skegs website and talk to Scott Bergstrom. He will ask you a bunch of questions and then tell you exactly what you need. That's what I did. 121"track w/144 picks. 8" carbides w/ ski savers and also shimmed under the spindle blocks. No more darting and corners like its on rails.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The more studs you have the more carbide you need. I got away with 4" on my mxz 800 that I had, but that pile was unstudded also

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i run 9 in shaper bars on both my 02 600s i just started to use them this year i love how they turn the sleds will turn on dry pavment with 144 studs in it and there not bad on the arms in the trails

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided on Bergstrom 6" carbides along withe the ski savers and shims and I love it...its never handled so good. I'm gonna do my other 2 sleds next season!!!!!! The carbides, ski savers and shims were only $70.00 plus $9 for shipping so the set up is a reasonably cheap.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
i run 9 in shaper bars on both my 02 600s i just started to use them this year i love how they turn the sleds will turn on dry pavment with 144 studs in it and there not bad on the arms in the trails

I too love Shaper Bars. I can't see spending the extra money on carbides when the Shapers do everything I'm looking for! I run 192 studs across the track on the T-cat and have zero issues with them. I run them on my ZRT 800 with a 136" track studded with 189 up the middle only and have zero issues with that one too. One thing I noticed after replacing Woody's it the radius of turning was a lot tighter. Not because they were new and the others were worn either. My opinion is they are Awesome for what the average Joe uses them for. Unless of coarse, you have other issues with toe in or toe out, or bent spindles or A arms. And I forgot to mention with the Shapers I noticed you don't seem to need as much carbide with in turn mean less initial cost. Just what I have found and what works for me! :lol:

For the guys that are studded all the way across the track it will always require more carbide to turn.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I found the shapers would bend and actually look like the letter 'S'. I like something that can take more abuse. I'm not always in ideal conditions either though. Rocks take their toll or carbides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts