Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else wears a tek vest while riding?? I have ever since I got smart doing donuts on ice and ended up with several broken ribs from the sled landing on top of me while my can of chew was in my inside jacket pocket. Anyway I have been thinking of going to a ballistic jersey does anyone use one of these over the tek vest?? they look a little more comfortable than a tek vest.
I personally like the one with the back belt. I dunno
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/EVS-G6-BALLISTIC-JERSEY

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I've also considered getting one of these, tek vests don't cover your elbows which sucks, plus they're crazing expensive

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only concern is that it doesn't look as if they have any side protection. I was hoping to find someone that uses them. I guess I'll have to take a trike to a bike shop and see if they have any, as it seems these are sold there mostly.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If you go let me know what you think, I'd use it for my quad too

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Sprunk

·
Administrator
2,605 Posts
I've been riding with one of these for 10 years or more:
Tekrider

Protects your ribs all the way around, and shoulders, wearing it is second nature now, almost doesn't feel right without it. I'm sure it has saved me from broken ribs at least once.
It is very warm, on all but the coldest of days I wear a moto-x jersey, the vest and a shell, with jeans and shell pants. Most days I have vent zippers open.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
tek vest

i have been wearing one since i hit a deer on the snowmobile trail 2 years ago outside wolverine mi
think my heart skipped a few beats
had a few bruises from hitting the handle bars
squeezed the brake as hard as i could
kinda stood me up a little locking the track up
threw my left shoulder up and pulled my head down to the right
sled slide a little to the right
probably what saved me
deer rolled over my left side and helicoptered off to my left
my nephew was behind me and said scariest thing he ever saw

i have since bought 2 more for friends and family to wear
reccommend them for atv also

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I had one on, took a flyer 3 weeks ago on the lake thought I cracked my sternum and busted ribs, I was lucky I just damaged some cartilige. Still in pain.
Glad to hear your alright.

yep using tap-a-talk from the cellular device. go figure

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tekrider

Protects your ribs all the way around, and shoulders, wearing it is second nature now, almost doesn't feel right without it. I'm sure it has saved me from broken ribs at least once.
It is very warm, on all but the coldest of days I wear a moto-x jersey, the vest and a shell, with jeans and shell pants. Most days I have vent zippers open.
I like the looks of that, but its the hot (heat) thing, I sweat like a virgin in a whore house, so I was trying to find the protection and keep cool at the same time.

yep using tap-a-talk from the cellular device. go figure

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Tekrider

I have the A/C version of this....had it since 2002. As Krom says, almost feels wrong without wearing it. And I too wear a t-shirt or thin long sleeve shirt, the vest and shell... and never gotten cold in all these years. Last week it was 17* and I had all the vents in my coat open.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been considering getting something too after taking on a storm sewer lid at 70 a few weeks ago. Side protection is a must as I always land on my side. This last crash netted me 4 broken ribs, a few pulled muscles in my shoulder and back and some hella whiplash! Doesn't help I ride like an ass. I got lucky as I've seen people die from less.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been considering getting something too after taking on a storm sewer lid at 70 a few weeks ago. Side protection is a must as I always land on my side. This last crash netted me 4 broken ribs, a few pulled muscles in my shoulder and back and some hella whiplash! Doesn't help I ride like an ass. I got lucky as I've seen people die from less.
Glad to hear you'll be ok, I'm in the same boat, I would like the side as well as front and back, but would like it in a lite weight jersey style, not sure if they even make such a thing. You would think motocross would have something light weight yet protective. I did wear a normal tek vest a few times, but found it to be cumbersome under my jacket and interfered with looking over my shoulders.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Never wore one until 2 weeks ago after 35 years of riding. Now I won't go w/o one. Have the Cat version. In fact, just about a month ago, a local fella lost his life after hitting the handlebars after standing up on running board to look back for his Dad and son. Not going very fast at all, ski caught something and turned the sled abruptly thus tossing the rider into the bars. Ribs punctured his spleen and liver and bled to death. No Tek vest was mentioned, so it sounded like he didn't have one. Had he had one, just bruised ribs may have been net result.

My wife and boy will not ride next year unless they have a Tek vest.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've had one for 4 or 5 years, bought one for my girlfriend this fall. She hated it at first, I told her she couldn't ride without it. I totally agree with Krom. It just feels wrong to ride without it now, and after a season of riding she agrees. Everyone should have a tek vest or something equivalent.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I've tried just about every type of armor I've heard of.

Tek vest is too warm for me, and offers no shoulder & arm protection.

Pressure suits... I've tried fox, 661, and dianese (I ride DH mtb, and wear armor for kayaking creeks also, so I've got a lot of different armor)

and the pressure suits ride up during the day, leaving your midsection exposed for me, also having a hard shell under a $400 Jacket makes any decent stick go through your jacket into the plastic. When wearing armor under my jackets... they fell apart FAST.

This is what I've settled on, and I'd say about 1/2 of the guys I ride with also run them

That one is a basic thor roost guard... I've had a few versions, and they've all done pretty well.

This is the version I've got now... It bends with you better, but it has fallen apart a bit faster though.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.