Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles can i expect to put on my four wheeler before i have to do an engine rebuild or put rings or something in it, i change the oil regularly and don't get in a lot of mud or anything.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have over 5800 miles on my 07' 500m. Still running great. I'd have to say the engine is the most durable thing on my fourwheeler.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
If you do regular maintenance, it should last you a really long time. I know that ///AIRDAM has like 15,000 miles on his H1.

......Hey ArcticCatRider500, what happened to that 700H1 you said you were getting in July? Did you keep the 500 too?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Dude lol its not a two stroke sled lol. Keep water and mud out of it and oil in it...30 thousand miles easy in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savageman69 @ Nov 7 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude lol its not a two stroke sled lol. Keep water and mud out of it and oil in it...30 thousand miles easy in my opinion.[/b]
Last year at Hatfield McCoy we hooked up with another group of AC's that were down there. One of the guys had an 06 650H1 with 42,000 miles on it and the other was a 400auto with 22,000 miles. The guy with the H1 said the only thing he had to replace was the exhaust pipe assembly, other than that he never had a problem......It should last you a really long time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys thanks for the replies, i was just wondering because a freind of mine has an 07 400 auto just like mine except its not a trv, and he has already had it rebuilt once and it started smoking and knocking again last month.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (07 trv @ Nov 7 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok guys thanks for the replies, i was just wondering because a freind of mine has an 07 400 auto just like mine except its not a trv, and he has already had it rebuilt once and it started smoking and knocking again last month.[/b]

Did he sink it??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He says its never been in mud over the headlights, but our local dealer refused to fix it under warranty because they said that the cylinder wall was scratched due to water or dirt.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (07 trv @ Nov 7 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He says its never been in mud over the headlights, but our local dealer refused to fix it under warranty because they said that the cylinder wall was scratched due to water or dirt.[/b]

Don't think the mud or water needs to be over the headlights to get sucked in there. If you plan on riding water and mud, you should probably do some snorks so you don't end up like him. Sounds like the dealer may be right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Na i just trail ride my cat i have a bayou 300 4x4 that is my dedicated mud machine, how many miles do you guys go in between oil changes, i usually change mine every 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JD700EFI @ Nov 7 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (07 trv @ Nov 7 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He says its never been in mud over the headlights, but our local dealer refused to fix it under warranty because they said that the cylinder wall was scratched due to water or dirt.[/b]

Don't think the mud or water needs to be over the headlights to get sucked in there. If you plan on riding water and mud, you should probably do some snorks so you don't end up like him. Sounds like the dealer may be right?
[/b][/quote]
I agree with jd...its amazing how hard water can splash and just how far it will travel up into the intake. All my quads will be snorkeled just for insurance for myself.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
400's run a long time if you keep the water out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have your friend check the plug on the bottom of the air box. It is a drain between the carb and air filter. If it cracks (and they do alot) it will suck dirt into engine and dust cylinder. I check this everytime I look at one and have kept cap in stock because of how many I find split or missing. TORK.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Change - oil and filters for a long living bottom end.....
Keep air filter clean and out of the mud (the air filter) for a happy top end.
Snorkels help everything.
After having snorkels on mine I'd never have another quad without them.
When your drown a quad...it is very hard on them.
I also put grease around the edges of my air filter where it lays on the ledge, both sides and keep it well oiled.
Also check your carb boots from time to time, the cleanest filter in the world won't help anything if the engine is pulling unfiltered air.

BTI

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (07 trv @ Nov 7 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

It can also be caused from not keeping a good clean well oiled filter in it as well, if you ride on dusty trails and the air filter is dry or dirty it wont take long to ruin a set of rings. IMO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts