Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering going back to stock ugly gray rims instead of my ITP type 7 rims and putting my mudlight XTR's on them. My concern is will the stock rims leak, or dent easily causing flats?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a set of steel rims and I beat them until they where square, but they never did leak air.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
PM me if you're selling the rims.

WC

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Stock rims should be fine... the Aluminum rims have a better potential to leak once the coating scratches off as the Aluminum is much more porous than steel...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent decided if i am selling the rims or not. it will depend on if like the stock setup.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I ran mine on stock rims for probably a year with out problems. The offsets are different compared to my aftermarket ones. With the stockers my fronts stuck out more then the rears. I also run 11" wide all around, so maybe if your fronts are skinnier it won't be as noticeable.

Why do you want to switch??

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (massmudder @ May 2 2007, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ive been using the stock alum wheels no problems at all and the best thing about them they dont push the wheels out like the aftermarket does[/b]

Thats exactly what I do, as the stock alluminums still look good and don't increase your width by 2-3 inches or more . I've recently purchased another set which makes 3 in anticipation of some day getting a set of Bighorns.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to switch because the Type 7 rims offset put the rear width at 52 inches with 11inch wide rear tires on the back and that makes it hard to navigate through the tight trails. if i put the ugly gray stockers back on i will be at 48.5 inches wide if my calculations are correct. I am also concerned if it will make it tippy with the stock wheels. I like the stock LE rims looks. I wish I had those but I dont feel like spending more money on rims.

Can some one tell me their rear width with 11in wide tires on the back?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ May 2 2007, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I want to switch because the Type 7 rims offset put the rear width at 52 inches with 11inch wide rear tires on the back and that makes it hard to navigate through the tight trails. if i put the ugly gray stockers back on i will be at 48.5 inches wide if my calculations are correct. I am also concerned if it will make it tippy with the stock wheels. I like the stock LE rims looks. I wish I had those but I dont feel like spending more money on rims.

Can some one tell me their rear width with 11in wide tires on the back?[/b]
I'll try to remember to measure it tonight as I have stock aluminum LE rims with I believe 11" xtr mudlites, of course I forget what I'm doing half the time so hopefully someone will chime in before because I'll get home say 19:30 tonight.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks catmandooo. that is 12in wide tires? if so my calculations would be correct ant 48.5in wide with 11in tires. 52 to 48 is big difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got 26-9-12 and 26-11-12 XTRs on stock steel wheels. My overall width is exactly 48.5 inches, an inch wider than the stock goodyears. I've only managed to put a very small dent in the outer lip of a front wheel but didn't dent the inner lip that is next to the tire bead. Mine do not leak any air at all. Personally, I think it makes way more sense to have a 6.5 inch wheel for the 26-9-12 fronts and an 8 inch wheel for the 26-11-12 rears instead of 7 inchers all around. At least on an AC, if I had to have aluminum rims they would be either of the LE wheels. Just MHO.
Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run the stock steel wheels and have no problems. But on the other hand my buddy has the aluminum ones on and cause of the close clearance between the wheel and the front and rear brake calipers rocks dented the insides of the wheels and cracked one because they'd get caught between the two. The steel ones you could always pound them back to shape

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think that the tires have more to do with the air leaking out. I still have stock rims and 3 of my tires will hold air but one wont hold air for more than about a week.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I have stock le rims and love them and they take a beating thats for sure. Now i have the grey ones to but i wanna sell them. They just came with my new tires i wanna buy another set of le rims and sell these grey rims

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How much for the rims??? are they new???

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Im not sure how much to ask if you go to the general atv fourm and look at page two the new skins topic those are the rims i just put them on and have 0 rides on them....

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Haven't had any issues with my XTR's on the stock rims yet, got over 1200 miles on them and very little wear on the rubber and no air leaks at all...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took the xtr's off the ITP type 7's and put them on the stock rims and I like the way it rides much better. No more running into trees and squeezing through the wooded trails.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts