Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding today in low range and got to going close to 40mph when I noticed to engine sputter. It was that same type sputtering you feel when trying to go to fast in reverse. Was this the engine telling me that this is too fast for low range or is there a problem I should have looked at. I can go over 60mph in high and it is smooth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Myself personally would not go over 20 MPH in low lange. Low range is meant to be used for towing and in the mud for low end power.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
05 650v2 I can go 45-50 mph in low range

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
15-20 mph or my bike is screaming

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I should not have had it as fast as I did in low, but a dog came out of nowhere barking at me and my daughter while riding and I punched it. Now I know.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That v2 must do 90+mph in high range! slaphappy

·
Registered
64 Posts
my v2 does about 52 in low, but only about 58 in high I dunno

·
Registered
322 Posts
v2's are different animals, lots of ppl ride them around in low for a good chunk of the day... my 500 only sees low if it's going to be rough riding! most of the time, I can get through mud/difficult sections in high! it seems pretty strong of a high gear

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thats right on the V2 mine does 52 in low too stock. Now i can get 56 with the vdi copperhead but man is she screaming when she hits the rev limiter.Only did it once but in 100 yd race 4wd drive you can smoke alot of stock sports quads.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just got a V2 and was told always in low except for flat long straights. Was doin 40 w/ the wife on it w/ me in abt 8 inches of snow and was fine. Ive heard the V2's are very different when it comes to low range compared w/ others, and last week I found out that's true. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Jan 24 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I never figured the V2 had a low and high range. I've always thought the V2 had a High range and a Higher range. The lack of a true low range is the main reason I chose the H1 over the V2 when i bought my bike. There are a lot of steep rocky trails that i ride on, sometimes pulling a trailer and at very low speed. The H is a great machine for this. Often find where I'm in high range while everyone else is already switched to low range or cooking belts.[/b]
Have not had any probs in low on my BF 750 and do alot of atv pulls. I don't know what the wieght of the sleds that we pull are but I'm sure it's more than a trailer. 57 mph in low on mine.

Jamie

·
Registered
445 Posts
makes me wonder. I have a 06 500 that I usually ride in low (since I almost always rode my v-2 in low) but I say 25-30mph tops in low on a 500.

Is that consistant with other 500's?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
i am a diesel driver at heart, so i keep my bike in low rpm's when possible.. i would not want to go over 20 or so in low if your going faster than that... why are you in low then..

low is not a "speed" gear.. it's a rough terrain and towing gear as stated in the manual

1 - 16 of 16 Posts