Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on your experiences with different set-ups? Before you go out for a ride, how do you have your sled adjusted from a stock standpoint. How tight do you have the springs on the front shock, and why. Do you use the coupler blocks, what seting 1, 2, or 3. How loose do you have the track tension, how do YOU measure it. How is your shocks valved, and why? What clutch are you running, what are the characteristics of your clutch, engagement, holeshot, topend, from the factory stock standpoint.
Basically I am trying to narrow down the Suspension tuning for my Firecat with the combined experiences from all of you. As my riding time will be short and don't want to spend too much time tinkering. I am not new to Arctic Cat sleds, but I am new to sled tuning. I have read the owners manual, twice, but would rather get the info and opinions from people like you. My old '98 ZR600 was set-up great from the guy I bought it from, but this Firecat is all stock. I am sure some of these questions are repeated daily here, please bear with me. I used the search feature and would like read a more COMPLETE post from one persons perspective at a time.

G

·
have mine set up on dollys in the garage cuz there is no snow WTF, live in maine and there is no riding yet!!! bang your head :nosnow:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I believe my front shocks are tightened showing 13-14 threads(I'll have to double check) I will tighten them a bit more15-16 threads showing. I like it like this because the softer shocks allow a little more body roll so you get less ski lift in hard cornering. Shocks are a little soft if your going ditch banging but work fine for a trail ride. I'm about 190lbs fully dressed. Stock skis do suck but I added 8"bergstrom 60degree carbides with 3/8 ski savers which bolt between your carbide and your ski so it increases your keel depth and makes the stock skis much much more aggressive. Thats why I can run the front shocks a bit soft since running them soft will decrease ski pressure.
In the rear I have the skid shock set at near factory level. The spring adjusters in the rear are on the middle position and I turned the coupler blocks to 1 to allow a little more transfer. This works pretty good with the set up I have. Last year without the ski savers and 8 inch carbides I had the skid shock set very loose and the couplers on 2 so I could keep the skis planted so it would turn. Depending on your front setup that will help you decide what to do on the rear. Keep in mind that when you feel that you are close to having what you want, only make small adjustments after and get it perfect. All my shocks are on stock valving.
Clutching I personally like my ODS kit and so do many others on here. These kits accelerate HARD!!!!!!! Engagement is 4300rpm. Holeshot -top end is a BIG improvement over stock and top speed remained the same. In stock form I found it pulled hard to about 90 or so and then walked over to a 100 and then would creep from there on. With the ods clutching it pulls staright from 0-100 then it begins to creep but still creeping a little faster than before. So basically it pulls harder and for 10 mph longer than the stock setup. Best money I ever spent on a mod in my whole life and I have spent some money on junk before. Also my cruise rpms at 60 or so are down a few hundred rpms so if you want to get technical you may see a few more miles out of a tank of gas if you can control the flipper. I use more gas because I stomp on it every chance I get because it still surprises me especially since I'm a 600.
Hope some of this helps anyway but I'm sure others will chime in and have very different setups for suspension that I use but to each their own I guess. Also I see your sleds an 03, if your shocks have never been serviced that should be on the list of things to do. May not be able to dial the ride quality in quite right. Anyways enjoy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Justinator, where do you buy those ski savers? I've never heard of those. I also want to thank you for the response, that is exactly what kind of info I am looking for.

KTM: I agree! My sled is sitting on dollies too. This weather is &@$%. My buddies are blaming me, 'cause I bought this sled, it made the snow go away. Not that I am superstitious but this is how my luck is. I think I am going to buy an umbrella and a spring jacket, then it will snow like crazy.lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got the ski savers and carbides at "bergstrom Skegs 815-654-2950" He will alos send you some rubber shims, (free with carbides) or make sure to ask if you just get the savers. The shim goes on the rubber cushion that is located between your ski top and the spindle. It changes the "toter" effect and lightens the pressure off the front of the ski. This helps eliminate darting. He says carbides should wear with a 60/40 pattern front to rear. If thats ot the case then the shims help that. My stock carbides were gone on the fron pad and probaly 75% left on the rear pad. With the savers and shims I no longer have any darting. Worked for me and cost me $88 shipped to my door. I know theres no replacement for a good set of aftermarket skis but this sure made the stock skis seem much much better.

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ktmboyz @ Dec 31 2006, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
have mine set up on dollys in the garage cuz there is no snow WTF, live in maine and there is no riding yet!!! bang your head :nosnow:[/b]

I live in Maine and I'm riding :yo_sup: sorry just had to say it

G

·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (justinator @ Jan 1 2007, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ktmboyz @ Dec 31 2006, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have mine set up on dollys in the garage cuz there is no snow WTF, live in maine and there is no riding yet!!! bang your head :nosnow:[/b]

[/b][/quote]

a friend and I are going this weekend and not coming home til we do some riding. I hear there is some along the western border or up to fort kent. I'd ask where u were but prob area 51 huh :ph34r: Not worthy:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know if this helps you "snowless" desperate riders but here in Manitoba we just got hit with 29 cm's of snow.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ktmboyz @ Jan 1 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (justinator @ Jan 1 2007, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ktmboyz @ Dec 31 2006, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

a friend and I are going this weekend and not coming home til we do some riding. I hear there is some along the western border or up to fort kent. I'd ask where u were but prob area 51 huh :ph34r: Not worthy:
[/b][/quote]

I'm right in Fort Kent..........the railroad bed is fine and the trails are OKAY as long as you watch your speed. I'm sure some trails arent passable yet though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let's keep with the topic guys.....I know it sucks when there is no snow but it sucks even more when people post non-topic issues. Sorry, I must be edgy because the lack of snow. But I kept getting E-mail notifications that there was a reply to my questions. Keep doin' the snow dance though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, before you start making any changes to your suspension measure your toe out on your skis, I think 1/8"-1/4" is about perfect. Make sure there is NO toe in cause this will cause darting any you wont be able to eliminate it by tuning the suspension. Also I THINK being that your an 03 you llimiter straps are adjustable. Tightening the straps will increase ski pressure and loosening will put more track on the ground for better traction. With adjustable straps you probaly wont have to fiddle around with the skid shock. My 05 I would have to drill holes in the straps to make them adjustable, thats why we have to use the shock instead.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Coupler Block = #2 setting
Torsion Springs = #2 setting
Rear Skid (Front Shock) = Loose
Limiter Straps = Stock
Front Shocks = Varies, medium to loose
Carbides = Dual runners
Clutch = ODS kit

Sled: 04 F6 EFI Snopro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts