Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sled is a 1974 arctic cat Lynx 292 Kawasaki single and it will not run.

It has spark fuel and air. It has a new stator, new main harness, a rebuilt crank (with bearings and seals) new gaskets, new piston/rings, cleaned carb, cleaned fuel pump with new gaskets, cleaned tank, new plug and boot, new fuel lines yet still nothing. I am coming up with an orange spark through my tester with lights off. 120 psi after 5 pulls. NOTE: I did put all this together myself (for the first time) I learned to never use silicone gaskets in a pinch and had a mess that I cleaned up. I banged on the crank a bit to get the bearings to go on and then the seals… I do have an external coil that isn’t verbatim the specific coil and the head of the cylinders spark plug hole is slightly damaged. My question is, what steps do you take to diagnose a problem like this so I’m not chasing my tail?

·
Registered
1988 Panther restored
22 Posts
The only thing left is the timing of the spark. If you have spark, fuel and air--at the right time--there will be an explosion, your eyebrows are singed (again), and your pants are on fire somewhere, find out where and put it out--just like when playing with a lighter as a kid. I'd look to timing, is the spark coming at the right time.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Well,,, sounds like you are trying anyway. That engine has a points and condenser in the magneto, along with the external coil. Sometimes the points need just a little file on them to clean them up. They also need to be gaped correctly. somewhere between .012-.016, (.014). Then the external coil, sometimes loses spark at the spark plug cap. Take the cap off and clip 1/4" off the spark plug wire, and then put the spark plug cap back on. Try that to get a bright blue spark.
Organism Font Circle Auto part Line art

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Not sure about those testers, but the spark plug needs to have a good blue spark as 73pumamod stated. If not, they are very hard starting or not start at all. I would guess its the condenser. (#17) or the plug cap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you pull the spark plug is it wet and smell like fuel after trying to start it? Try a different plug also and hold the throttle wide open while pulling. Once they're flooded the only thing your gonna get out of them is a sore shoulder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts