Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I thought I had a bad belt as it would run fine when you got up to about 50ish and then she just stopped alltogether. It would bairly start and smokes like crazy and I changed both plugs and when I tested for spark they were both getting spark but it was definitely not firing from the cluch side. I haven't checked the compression yet and this is a fresh rebuild with about 175 miles and broke it in with a tank of premex as well so if it did blow I'm really curious for any insite as to why this happened. :sos:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Spring the $20 for a compression tester and check out each jug. This would be the definitive test.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the finger thing and it feels like it has the same amount of compression as the other one and also with one plug in at a time as well and they both felt pretty similar so I guess a guage is in order. for grins how low would the compression have to be in order for it not to fire.

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Catmandoozr @ Jan 22 2007, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did the finger thing and it feels like it has the same amount of compression as the other one and also with one plug in at a time as well and they both felt pretty similar so I guess a guage is in order. for grins how low would the compression have to be in order for it not to fire.[/b]
Rule of thumb; under 75PSI - ring problems; under 25 PSI hole in piston.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any thoughts if compression is good and close to the other one. They both felt strong when I just pulled it over and had one plug in at a time.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Most likely a lean condition. Leaky intake can be between carbs and/or flanges, plugged main jet in carb, cracked castings, etc. How does the plug look (white, brown, black insulator)?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Either an oil pump issue or a choke issue. Does the oil pump appear to be set correctly? Is the choke operating properly?

Again, make sure to run an "official" compression test, without it, you will be guessing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts