Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday i was riding my sled nice and casually when i noticed that the front end was sliding right when i was turning left. So i was like, it might be the carbides. On the way home, i was going down a short field and was slowing down to go into the woods. It was a left hand turn and the front end was just sliding. The weekend before i went through there racing with a buddy and had no problems. This time i was casually going along and ended up slamming on my brakes because i was gona miss the trail which was retarded because i was going slow enough that i was sure to make it with my eyes closed. I ended up just about a few feet off to the right going through some brush but there was a nice surprise for me. It was a small tree, maybe 2-3 inches in diameter. I hit that and my left ski wrapped around it and the a-arm, shock and suspension on that side took all the force. My hood cracked all up on the opposite side, a-arm is shot, fram on that side had a crack in the paint, which means it was stressed, and the side where the belt was was all bowed out, which means something was been and i couldnt see it. I was able to ride it home, even though the pipe had slightly mooved off the y-pipe and was annoyingly loud.

When i took it to the dealer to look at, they put it on a crane to take it off my truck and i looked at the carbides, the right ski had no front carbide, and the rear one was shot. the left ski was better, but not by much. Who would thing carbides would be gone like they were in 6 frigin rides! The dealer is giving me an estimate on the damage this week and what kinda insurance sells us something that didnt have collision comprehension WTF! When and if i get it fixed, im going to put studs in it (102 woodys 1.175 standards in a v-shape pattern), which i was gona do this week before i got in the crash. It had the stupid stock carbides in it whatever they were, but im not sure if i should put different carbides in it. I guess this is just a tale of how snowmobiling can go wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
it could be worse...i went ridin with a buddy, his step father and his stepfathers friend, all i heard was criticism of cats all the way up (4 1/2 hrs...), teh step dad has a brand new apex rtx, my buddys got an rx1, and the stepdads friend has a fusion 900. first thing in the mornin, 3 miles on the apex, he flipped it and the estimate from the insurance company was 6400$!!! he flipped it pretty hard and it was in the parkin lot, frozen dirt, has a bent tunnel, ripped off the headlight/gauges, and scratched broke a lot of random stuff. it as stitched back together and ridden all day, then after the day of riding on the way home, 50 miles from the camper, the fusion finishes its 3rd chaincase in less than a 1000 miles. the cat that they had been criticizin the whole ride up ended up towing the polaris home! so during the weekend, 250 miles, this was my first ride by the way, and the cat and the rx1 were the only ones with no problems...imagine that! :catwins

·
Read Only
0 Posts
you know you could probley aim this at cat or the dealer for not setting up the steering right or w/e caused it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
na i wouldnt do it to the dealer but i would do it to cat. what a pair of horrible carbides they designed! im gona put a pair of 6 inchers on it to make it last longer than 6 frigin rides.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (06Sabercatman500 @ Jan 28 2007, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
na i wouldnt do it to the dealer but i would do it to cat. what a pair of horrible carbides they designed! im gona put a pair of 6 inchers on it to make it last longer than 6 frigin rides.[/b]
What kind of conditions do you have that you're riding in? I've had the stock carbides go to crap in a weekend of marginal riding. But I guess I've come to expect that when running on dirt, gravel, and black top.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we did very little crossing roads. most of it was fresh powder and drifts. hopefully i dont burn all my money to fix it but i deffinatly am getting different carbides. do you guys thing 6 inchers will be sufficient and cooperatable with the studs (102 woodys 1.175 standards in a v-shape pattern)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was just riding this weekend for the first time with new C&A Razors and 7.5 inch studboy shaper bars. My F6 has 102 woody gold diggers in it and I must say, IMO I have never ridden with so much confidence in my steering. The sled handled be on expectations and I will never go back to stock skis or dually carbides. The sled turned on a dime with little effort and was straightline down the trail. The only drawback is a little more effort when going slow to steer but I have had less fatigue after a day of riding and would recommend them if your looking for better steering. Thanks KJ Motorsports!! Shipped fast and price was unbeatable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill take that in consideration, but i probably wont have the extra money for c&a razors. ill just find a suitable carbide setup for the 102 woody standards.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recomend the 7.5 shapers. My sled came stock with the dually carbides and man did they suck the shapers helped out tons. I also have 102 studs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ditch the stock dual offset carbides for sure. (I've got a lightly used pair off my wife's sled if anyone's interested :D )

I went with a pair of 6" Woody's Dooly carbides which turn pretty easy going slow (weight is spread out over more of an area IMO) and also doesn't grab (as much) the rest of the group's ski tracks causing darting. Not exactly cheap though. I've got a 104 stud pattern on the sabercat 600.

[attachment=62289:Track.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Liv2Ride @ Jan 29 2007, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was just riding this weekend for the first time with new C&A Razors and 7.5 inch studboy shaper bars. My F6 has 102 woody gold diggers in it and I must say, IMO I have never ridden with so much confidence in my steering. The sled handled be on expectations and I will never go back to stock skis or dually carbides. The sled turned on a dime with little effort and was straightline down the trail. The only drawback is a little more effort when going slow to steer but I have had less fatigue after a day of riding and would recommend them if your looking for better steering. Thanks KJ Motorsports!! Shipped fast and price was unbeatable.[/b]
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
alot of studs will cause more pushing in the corners...

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Jan 28 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (06Sabercatman500 @ Jan 28 2007, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
na i wouldnt do it to the dealer but i would do it to cat. what a pair of horrible carbides they designed! im gona put a pair of 6 inchers on it to make it last longer than 6 frigin rides.[/b]
What kind of conditions do you have that you're riding in? I've had the stock carbides go to crap in a weekend of marginal riding. But I guess I've come to expect that when running on dirt, gravel, and black top.
[/b][/quote]

I agree, post some pictures.

If they are worn off, what does that have to do with the design of the carbide or skeg?

It's all the same material reagardless of how it's "shaped" or if its a "dually"

You still have to check them and replace them when they are worn.

This is no fault of AC or the dealer. Give me a break.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Saturday i was riding my sled nice and casually when i noticed that the front end was sliding right when i was turning left. So i was like, it might be the carbides.Your first 2 sentences are all you need to read, if YOU did not stop to check then how can you blame ANYBODY else !!!!
I feel sorry that you smashed your sled but don't blame someone else for your stupidity.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We have all tried to limp home with a wouned duck! Cant fault him for that. More caution would be better in hindsight.

Never kick a sledder when there down only an enviromentalist!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
na i dont have pics or anything but i wasnt really blaming anyone, i just said it doesnt make sense that my carbides wore out so soon. i was not riding in the rode or anything, but i believe that maybe a rock could have done carbide damage im not sure. ill make sure that i keep better look next time instead of trying to drive and feel out the problem. the dealer quoted me 3500 for the damage and stuff but with the insurance and someone that is fixing my hood the price is going to go down but im not sure of the new price.

bad stuff always happens to me lol but what sucked was that i was going to change carbides and put studs in 2 days after i crashed. now i gotta fork out some more money so it will ride again. thanks for listening to my rookie mistake and the posts guys its given me ideas and knowledge.

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (06Sabercatman500 @ Feb 1 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
na i dont have pics or anything but i wasnt really blaming anyone, i just said it doesnt make sense that my carbides wore out so soon. i was not riding in the rode or anything, but i believe that maybe a rock could have done carbide damage im not sure. ill make sure that i keep better look next time instead of trying to drive and feel out the problem. the dealer quoted me 3500 for the damage and stuff but with the insurance and someone that is fixing my hood the price is going to go down but im not sure of the new price.

bad stuff always happens to me lol but what sucked was that i was going to change carbides and put studs in 2 days after i crashed. now i gotta fork out some more money so it will ride again. thanks for listening to my rookie mistake and the posts guys its given me ideas and knowledge.[/b]
Hey man, we have all been there, it sucks but you live and learn. At least you didn't get hurt. I always say if you ain't spinnin wrenches you ain't snowmobiling hard enough. Good luck with the fix. :beer_cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts