Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I road my 400 today in 92°+ heat for about 2-3 hours non stop. It automatically shut down. It would start and idle but when you engage a gear and give it throttle it dies. Is the spark plug overheated? Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
odds a the motor oil was TOO hot, and the motor has a oil temp switch on it, that is designed to SHUT the motor down, before allowing damage to happen
once the motor cools, its will run as normal, till the temp gets hot again
some things you can do to help it , is make sure the oil in the motor is GOOD and fresh, and honestly a GOOD syn oil will run things cooler than basic dino oil will,
next, make sure bike is clean, caked on mud and dirt, doesn;t help in things cooling, actually makes heat build faster!, so keeping it clean helps, here, all the roe so if its got an oil cooler, make sure that too is clean and not clogged up(same will be for any liquid cooled models, and there radiators, and I mean BOTH sides of them, as well as good coolant in them, and they also sell special coolant designed to run cooler in hot temps, so if your bike is liquid cooled, you can swap the coolant out to it, for better cooling )

next, the spark plug, its not really going to make it run hotter or cooler, but reading what it is telling you MIGHT help there, be it running rich or lean!, running lean can make it run hotter!, even dangerously hot!
and it never does hurt to have a new spark plug in things!

NOW< if by chance is just shutting off when heat builds, you can also try removing the fuel cap and listen for air rushing sound, and then it runs again.
as vapor lock can happen on hot days, if a tank vent isn;t working properly, but what your describing of running for 2+ hours first, says your oil temp sensor is working and shutting you off due to oil temps being too HIGH to safely run the motor, and it needs to be off to cool some to be in safe range again!

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
It’s air/oil cooled. Check the cooling fins on the oil cooler to make sure they are clean, as stated above.
I don’t think the 400 came with a shut down for overheat condition.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Not much more can be said other than did your fan come on at all during your run? My 03 400 fan comes on rarely but does if I’m in low gear pulling my boat through the bush. At that’s at outside temps nowhere near 92. What year is yours?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
also, it really helps if you state what exact yr and model atv you have, as there are a lot of differences between models and yrs of even same models at times!
I wrote what I did as a guess it was air cooled and threw in some info if it was liquid cooled to try and cover both some what LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts