Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I got home last night and there was a box from Iowa hanging from my mailbox, the stoppers are in. Got them put on this morning. The only trouble I had was with the rears, the three sides make it hard to get in there and attach everything. What I ended up doing was putting the hangers in and bending the back side of the stopper, where the stock bolts go, out so I could reach in and get to them. After I got that part on, I just bent it back, slapped the stock bolts back on, and tightened it all up, they look great. Took it for a ride and heard alot of noise and realized just how much gravel gets kicked up there, now my groovy new Hosstoppers are stopping it all from hitting the boots and whatnot. Great coverage for pretty much all the bits, I'm happy, they look great too. Thanks HOS!! Here's some before and after pics.
JD

Attachments

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
:thumbsup: When I made mine I had a similar problem, but managed to work it thru... the 3 siders are nice... but they do get packed full of snow, and then it turns to ice which inturn liked to rub on my cv boots! PITA to keep free of snow and ice, but well worth there weight in gold at protecting the Boots!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yeah, the 3rd sides makes for an extra beer when putting them on, if the kids are helping keep the 'ear muffs' handy...but like mentioned, once they are on, the boots are clear and free. Winter does pose a problem, however, I noticed even just running two sided ones this past winter that snow/ice gets packed in around the boots. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

My next creation.....impenetrable cv boots (I'll put myself out of business bang your head ), hold your breath :bang: .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hos, put me down for a set of those inpenetrable cv boots. :p I don't have much in the way of snow down here usually so I'm not too stressed about that. They do look good, well done sir. You got the payment yet?
JD

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kancoyote @ Apr 24 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hos, put me down for a set of those inpenetrable cv boots. :p I don't have much in the way of snow down here usually so I'm not too stressed about that. They do look good, well done sir. You got the payment yet?
JD[/b]

Got it today JD :thumbsup: .

Looking forward to seeing them all mudded up come June!!! :super_happy:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hos650 @ Apr 24 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kancoyote @ Apr 24 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JD[/b]

Got it today JD :thumbsup: .

Looking forward to seeing them all mudded up come June!!! :super_happy:
[/b][/quote]

Thanks guys. You and me both Hos. If I can get outside long enough tomorrow, I'm gonna go ahead and do a stealth snork set-up. Bring it on Cat happy
JD

·
Registered
672 Posts
Look great :thumbsup: I need a set for my prowler, to match the diamond plate floor :super_happy:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Green4004x4 @ Apr 25 2007, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Hos... Maybe we need to move into a new direction for the stoppers... Maybe a perforated bottom... or somthing ... let the snow/slush, mud etc liquid drop thru the bottom and the larger debris away from the boots...

http://www.directmetals.com/products/perforated_metal/slots/

http://www.mechanicalmetals.com/perforatedmetals.html

http://www.mechanicalmetals.com/decoratedp...atedmetals.html[/b]

I suggested that in the "What if you were in charge" thread. I love the look of the stopers, nothing beats diamond plate!!! I don't like the idea of having a tray to hold all the junk I ride through up against the boots and brakes. You could probably reduce the odds of that happening by drilling a bunch of one inch holes in a certain pattern on the bottom, maybe the inner side as well. A one inch hole evenly spaced every two inches should look good, work great, and help with cleaning.

Anyway, once my wallet recovers from the purchase of my new ATV, I'll probably ask if I can order a set.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't have drain holes in mine, mainly because I feel it defeats the purpose of having them, although I do see the theory of letting stuff out, I think they would also let stuff (sticks) in.

The ideal way to do it I think, would be to have two individual stoppers, one a vertical piece that would replace the stockers; the other, a two sided stopper that would cover the bottom and the side opposite the stocker. Then you could simply remove the one vertical piece while on the trail or when back at the shop and easily clean it out when ever you want just by removing a couple bolts. I dunno

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hos650 @ Apr 25 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't have drain holes in mine, mainly because I feel it defeats the purpose of having them, although I do see the theory of letting stuff out, I think they would also let stuff (sticks) in.

The ideal way to do it I think, would be to have two individual stoppers, one a vertical piece that would replace the stockers; the other, a two sided stopper that would cover the bottom and the side opposite the stocker. Then you could simply remove the one vertical piece while on the trail or when back at the shop and easily clean it out when ever you want just by removing a couple bolts. I dunno[/b]
You're definetly on to something. Figure out a quick release and you're golden. All the protection and easy cleaning.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PBPoison @ Apr 25 2007, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hos650 @ Apr 25 2007, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The ideal way to do it I think, would be to have two individual stoppers, one a vertical piece that would replace the stockers; the other, a two sided stopper that would cover the bottom and the side opposite the stocker. Then you could simply remove the one vertical piece while on the trail or when back at the shop and easily clean it out when ever you want just by removing a couple bolts. I dunno[/b]
You're definetly on to something. Figure out a quick release and you're golden. All the protection and easy cleaning.
[/b][/quote]

The sides to be removed for access could be attached with cotter pins...just weld a short piece of rod on the a-arms with hole for the cotter pin and away we go. If only I worked at CAT!!!!

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I don't know. I can't come up with a good way to do a good solid quick release without having excessive vibration or edges that can catch.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Dome head style pin/bolt, no threads; rubber grommet on stopper holes or plastic washers; cotter pin on inner side of the stopper; mounting tab similar to stock, just without threads :thumbsup:

Perfect world of course! :sure_ok:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
definately need to keep it secure and keep it from rattlin !... maybe a hinge with a latch on one side...

If ya had perforated sheet with say 1/2 -3/4" holes would maybe work ok... maybe after I get tired of keeping mine clean I'll mess with another material type...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Apr 26 2007, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My first pair rattled a lot, but then I spent about $150 in neoprene washers and they went silent. Perfect.[/b]

Damn, those were some expensive washers!! slaphappy , for that price they should protect the boots without the stoppers....darn decimal point anyways bang your head .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts