Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, trying to findout how much power my 1995 cougar 550 liquid produces. And any advice on how to get more of it...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
approx 80 h.p.

If you want mods, then contact blackmagic Racing, they may be able to help you, otherwise there isn't alot you can do with that sled.

~Fast

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Cougars were low performance trail touring sleds. You may not be able to find much for it. You could also try D&D, they might have something for you. If nothing else those sleds handle great and are fun to ride. Try tuning the clutch and take full advantage of the power you already have.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If u want power get a ZRT like I did, look around in the summer I will be selling mine than if ur interested, the only thing wrong is the speedo doesnt work and the low gas mileage I going to fix both tho and paint the ehaust black to retain more heat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You aren't gonna find **** for it. They don't even make a skid plate for it. From the factory or on the after market. yes its an 80 horse, well my 98 is I assume yours would be the same.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
The 550 and the 580 have the same bottom end. You could get a 580 top end, cylinders, heads and pistons along with the carbs, or EFI system, CDI and exhaust. Depending if you use EXT or ZR 580 parts you can get it up to 96 HP.

If you want to get the most out of your sled the first steps are to get your jetting figured out. A properly jetted engine will make the most power possible when tuned for the conditions of the day. With maximum power at the crank shaft you then look to clutch tuning and driveline blueprinting. Aligning everything from the clutches through to the track will mimimze the parasitic drag and maximize the power to the snow. What good is making 10 more HP at the crank if you can only get 3 of it the snow?

·
Registered
82 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Jan 9 2007, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 550 and the 580 have the same bottom end. You could get a 580 top end, cylinders, heads and pistons along with the carbs, or EFI system, CDI and exhaust. Depending if you use EXT or ZR 580 parts you can get it up to 96 HP.[/b]
It's the same top end different bottom end. They have the same bore but the strock is longer thus making up the extra 30 ml.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gotts2BMe @ Jan 9 2007, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Jan 9 2007, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 550 and the 580 have the same bottom end. You could get a 580 top end, cylinders, heads and pistons along with the carbs, or EFI system, CDI and exhaust. Depending if you use EXT or ZR 580 parts you can get it up to 96 HP.[/b]
It's the same top end different bottom end. They have the same bore but the strock is longer thus making up the extra 30 ml.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry Gotts, you are absolutely wrong on that one. They have the same stoke and different bore because they use the same crankshaft and case; 73.4mm vs. 75.4mm bores according to the Wiseco piston chart. Check the Cat parts fische and you will see the real truth. I have been waiting for a 550 to replace the bottom end of my 580, so I'm sure on this one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If u want power get a ZRT like I did, look around in the summer I will be selling mine than if ur interested, the only thing wrong is the speedo doesnt work and the low gas mileage I going to fix both tho and paint the ehaust black to retain more heat.

...just thought i would tell you, dont ride your sled AT ALL until you replace your clutch side drive shaft bearing because that bearing being shot is 9 out of 10 times the reason that the speedo stops working, and trust me, is not pretty went that bearing fianlly blows to pieces, it can get pretty expensive too.

ZR

·
Registered
732 Posts
im pritty sure aaen makes a pipe for that sled, i was looking into it for my dads 550 cougar and aaen made a pipe for one of the older 550 ext's around the same year as your cougar. give them a call and see what you can find

·
Registered
36 Posts
you can bolt on a 580 topend,here is the deal the 94 and newer 580 jugs are a 3 port design and generate more horsepower. 580 jugs are not a dime a dozen in good shape and you will pay for them cause there is a zillion of them still going. my advise to you cause i went through the same idea is first is the sled in great shape or not. because if it is sell it and buy a zr or zl 500 or 600. for what it will cost in parts(carbs,clutch,pipe) to change it over u will most likley be able to sell it and upgrade to one of those. i know the 500 is smaller in cc but it will blow the doors off your cougar happened to me many times just my 2 cents please do not get upset i went through the same thoughts i did love that old 97 cougar

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
not all newer 580s are 3 port

Up until 97 or 98 the EXT 580 efi Deluxe was single port

I would not waste $$$ on a 580 top end

the 550 are bullet proof unlike the triple port 580s

and yes PSI/Aaen/BM had single and twin pipes for the 550

though they were for the 91-93 EXT 550s

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Feb 15 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

though they were for the 91-93 EXT 550s[/b]

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Feb 15 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

though they were for the 91-93 EXT 550s[/b]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I HAVE A 1991 PROWLER WITH A 1995 EXT MOTOR IN IT I PUT ALL ZR PARTS ON IT BEFORE INSTALL CDI BOX AND THE LIKE COMET 108 AND FOUND A PSI BRAND PIPE ON EBAY PLAYED WITH CLUTCH AND JETTING AND SECONDDARY FOR EVER FINALLY GOT IT ABOUT PERFECT PUT A M-10 SUP. UNDER IT AND 98 ARMS IN FRONT IT LOOKS LIKE A REV STYLE I SHAVED OFF THE LITTLE WINGS ON THE SHROUD THAT USE TO COVER THE TOP OF SKI BRACKETS THE SLED WEIGHTS NOTHING AND IT WILL DRAG THE BACK GRAB BAR FOR A LONG TIME STANDING STRAIGHT UP I HAVN'T HAD A CHANCE TO GUN IT ON TOP SPEED YET IT BERRY'S THE SPEEDO IN LESS THAN 900 FEET IT COST A LOT BUT WAS WELL WORTH IT IF IT DIDN'T HAVE THAT SUPID SQUARE HEAD LIGHT NO ONE WOULD KNOW WHAT IT WAS I CALL IT PROWLZR SO IF YOU LIKE YOUR SLED GO TO WORK AND GET IT THE WAY YOU WANT IT NOT THE WAY SOME COMPANY THINKS YOU SHOULD BE RIDDING

·
Registered
1995 COUGAR 550 & 2000 POWDER SPECIAL 500
7 Posts
im pritty sure aaen makes a pipe for that sled, i was looking into it for my dads 550 cougar and aaen made a pipe for one of the older 550 ext's around the same year as your cougar. give them a call and see what you can find

Yes,AAEN has a pipe for it..good for 6HP it says. $449 Thinkin bout getting one myself.

:Bangin:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
noble,
Do you realize this thread is 4 1/2 YEARS OLD!

Holy Flashback Batman!!!!

·
Registered
1995 COUGAR 550 & 2000 POWDER SPECIAL 500
7 Posts
noble,
Do you realize this thread is 4 1/2 YEARS OLD!

Holy Flashback Batman!!!!
Haha,yes,i noticed that after i posted.I'm a rookie here.I'm glad really,cause i misread the aaen exhaust list.I dont see an exhaust for this sled.
Nice to meet ya by the way. Not worthy:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Welcome to the Zoo!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts