Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
8,288 Posts
you and his family are in our thoughts and prayers I've seen it to many times from being on the Amb. and your right you will never forget it but you try to just put it in the back of your head. as for drinking and Snowmobiling my monthly newsletter came today from DCNR last year here in Pa there was 7 reported sled acc. 2 were fatal. all were drinking related.

· Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm glad to see many nice comments from you guys. I wasn't sure how the story would be taken by everyone because we all don't want to think about the worst and think we are invincible. Luckily for me, BZ was someone that I had only met once before Friday, better than being someone who has been a friend for years- but it still sucks real bad.

This makes me want to bring up another point: Several people have asked me if I was going to stop snowmobiling. My answer is that people are not stopping driving cars or flying because people die in cars and planes, so why should I stop doing something I really love? Maybe I will just use my head just a little more and such. And, maybe I am not that bad off having a "little" 500cc sled- it kinda acts as a governor, since I can't do 120. Not that 90 or 100 won't kill either, but maybe I am just a little safer that way......

This discussion reassures me of what a great bunch of people we have on here. Hats off to ODS and the Mods. I haven't even really thought of posting this on HCS.

· Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear your story. I am new on the board but only live about 35 miles west of saginaw and flint. I was riding down the Maple River yesterday (first set of tracks) and I was noticing all the obstacles on the whole trip. I am getting a lot more leary as I get older and I know what that speed can do. I was hoping that the people that followed my tracks will be careful on the Maple River because there were some trees across the river where there didn't used to be and I had to portage a couple of times. Also the river is very slippery if you have no studs. The water was quite high this year too making one of the bridges down by Bridgeville very low when you go under it. Most people should be fine, but I would not want to be standing up going under it. There is also a little open water around the Wilson road curves but most people know about it and go around that spot. It is frozen enough to drive it though. It is a very nice ride though from US-27 to Maple Rapids. I know your area is a very popular corridor for the river riders. I think a lot of them start in Chesaning and go to Saginaw. I was thinking about getting some reflective tape or something and putting it on some of the obstacles. I think there will be a lot of people out this week with the big snow we have coming in tomorrow night. The river riding is very fun and exhilerating. I know how those tragedies happen. Sorry for the bad luck you guys had. Better days ahead. Later.

· Registered
105 Posts
Here's a pic of a accident I came across this winter. All I have to say the gentleman made a fatal mistake according to his brother. We need to stop at stop signs and look both ways. this happend at 10:30 in the morning with no liquor involved. He was a older gentleman with more miles on his sled in 1 year than we put on ours in our lifetime . RIP.

Attachments

· Registered
41 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your friend, i have lost three friends to snowmobile related deaths, i am fortunate not to have had to see what you have seen, i wish that on no one. my thoughts are with his family and friends. i might be the only one who feels this way but you see car accidents on the new all the time and i usually just shrug them off to carelessness or whatever other reason, but when i hear of a snowmobile death it just hits me harder. To me snowmobiling is like a brotherhood so to speak, i consider all the guys i ride with as my "brother from a different mother" i dont know what i would do if one of them passed away on a snowmobile. anyways sorry to ramble..

R.I.P BZ

· Premium Member
8,154 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend f5firecat.

You and your friends and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.
With me working in the health care field and coming upon a accident I can't imagine the helplessness of not being able to help out someone, but not being able to help out your friend is a whole other story.
I hope that over time the fond memories of you and your friend enjoying this sport will lessen the haunting images instilled in your mind.

Thanks for sharring this story with us.

Nancy

· Premium Member
553 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend f5firecat....there never seems to be anything to say when this type of tragedy happens that will help...R.I.P.

I look back at all the years of riding and think of some of the risky things I did on a snowmobile that could have been deadly but somehow got away with it like most people have.

Years ago we were limited somewhat by speed as most sleds couldn’t run to the 100 mph mark like they can today.
I am very picky where and when I let my sled stretch its legs, and that is still no guarantee that nothing bad will happen.
When we ride on the edge at these high speeds, the gamble unfortunately is with death.

· Registered
131 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. May he rest in peace. My condolences to the family and friends.

Please think when you ride, be safe, don't ride outside of your real ability or the conditions.

· Registered
48 Posts
Supermario1

Thats a nasty crash with the Dodge pickup and that Polaris. My question is, from the photo it looks like the p.u. is on the wrong side of the road, and just wondering if the accident happened right there , or was in back by the trail crossing (background) and slid into that position after the wreck? Just curious.

· Registered
39 Posts
Been to both locations many times, but did not hear of this till tonight.

I live in Grand Blanc, but work in Saginaw, and Lori at Castaways is one of my accounts, as is Hooters.

Absolutely devastating! I have done similar things in unfamiliar areas before. Trust I will be more careful now.

We also lost a young man with a new baby (3 months old) down in Atlas Township just East of where I live. Many in Michigan heard about it. It was L. Brooks Pattersons son, Oakland County Executive.

I know Brooks well and he was just floored by this. Riding on a lake at night, came out of a cove and was broadsided!

Please everyone, pay attention.....don't drink and sled! Even if you don't, there are many others that do, and your chances improve greatly in avoiding that accident if you are totally sober! And remember, new laws can test your blood for pot, and if you get in an accident and they check your blood and it shows up (long after you have partaken) they can prosecute you! I am talking weeks later!

Have fun, but leave the partying to dry land and in the house or bar and let someone else drive home!

God's mercy on us all, and God Bless BZ, Brook's son, and all the other folks in Michigan who lost their life due to ONE mistake!

· Registered
383 Posts
I was up sledding that weekend and heard of the deaths. It was sobering, and made me rethink my desire to go fast in questionable situations. I also understand that one of the fatalities was the Wayne County Prosecutors' son. The grim reaper shows no mercy. My deepest and sincere condolences to the friends and family of those who were lost.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.