Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02' has a scratch on the main hood decal.

How do you remove the old decal? I have a new decal set sitting here.

If the old sticker has a scratch through the decal and into the hood, can you fill the void/scratch after removing the old decal?
If so, with what?

I sorta want to fill the scratch as it extends to the end of the decal. I think it can/should be filled.

I'd like to bring the hood inside and fix this while the weather here is so crappy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When my sleds are new I've used a regular blow-dryer to heat all the warning decals and then peeled them off cleanly. A bit of WD-40 or Goo-Gone will remove any residual adhesive left behind.

Aged decals may be more work???

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MUSKOKA800 @ Jan 26 2007, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When my sleds are new I've used a regular blow-dryer to heat all the warning decals and then peeled them off cleanly. A bit of WD-40 or Goo-Gone will remove any residual adhesive left behind.

Aged decals may be more work???[/b]
I use the process as Muskoka. With a hairdryer heat one part of the decal up, once you get one corner lifted let the heat do the work it should peal off fairly easy. To much heat and it'll just come off in a bunch of little pieces. The Goo-Gone product works much better then WD-40 but both do work, one just requires more effort and scrubbing.
I dont think the aged decal should be any deal, A couple years ago I bought a green 2000 hood for my ZRT 800, the hood was from a 600 so I had them removed and the 800 ones put on. The dealer did the work (it was free :) ) but I saw where they had the 600 decals off all in one piece. I later then removed all the warnign decals myself and they came off the same as new decals.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just removed some of the decals off of my '98. Even after 9 years, the decals came off like they were new. I didn't even use a hairdryer. Just caught an edge with my fingernail and started pulling. Some of them broke a few times but there wasn't even any glue residue left afterwards.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi

Use a heat gun but by God be careful, the they produce is monstrous. However if you use caution they work like a dream. Most of those have low/hi switch. Use the low heat on one corner of the decal you want to get off and when the decal starts forming tiny bubbles you can lift it a little and start peeling it off(nice and easy does it). Carefully warm the rest of it and keep applying pressure and you´ll have it off in no time. It may come off in bits but you´ll get the hang of it in no time flat.

Talk to an auto-dealer or a bodyshop. I´m sure they have fillers even one´s in the same color your hood is(that is if your scratch extends outside the decal).

Good luck

Best Regards
ARISTOCAT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts