Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as u know im lookin into getting a new quad in the spring
i thought about the 450 wolverine from yame
but for ****s and kicks i decided to go in to our local honda power house building
nothin really stood out except for the 680
110 pounds lighter than the 500 cat
smaller and it looks more nimble then the cat
im lookin for sum info from people that have drvin the 680 and that have acat

i wont be gettin rid of the 500cat its just i want sumthin thats smaller and thats more situated to dirt trails

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I can't speak specifically to the new 680, but I can speak to the 650 Rincons. If you are looking strictly for a fast, nimble run of the mill dirt trails, you won't be disappointed. They are very comfy, handle very nicely, can be ridden for 8 hours straight without feeling like you just got worked over. They are also reliable.

I bought my V2 as I needed a bigger sized machine for my needs. I also wanted ground clearance, a locking diff and the rack systems. I also just bought two new Cats for my sons.

Everything above being said, if I had endless $$$ I would also own a Rincon for just plain dirt trail riding. You won't be disappointed as long as you don't expect to be a mud monster or a rock crawling beast.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try a 500 Bomb yet? They're nice and probably just as fast as a Rincon. I just don't trust those trans on the Rincon, or Rubicon for that matter.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I agree with bluethumb on this. The rincon will do exactly what you want though real well but the outlander will do it better with more features.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iknow what u mean i got lookin at the canam tonight
if i was to go to can am id got with the 400 intstead of the 500
i like the honda 680 but im a litlle iffy on the fuel injection

·
Registered
862 Posts
As far as the 500 Rubicon I can say nothing but good about the unit. I had a 2001 Rubicon and put 9,986 miles on the ATV and had no problems with it. Only changed the oil and the transmission never had any problems. But the Rincon has a different transmission and there is no low range as most ATV's have. You only have High range. It is a good bike for flat land but not for climbing hills where you need a low range. Also if you go to over sized tires you will not have the power that you need and you will not be able to go to low range to get it back as they do with the AC. The transmission is like a car transmission with a tork converter and I believe it is only 3 speed; and there is no hold back in the transmission as in the cat or the Rubicon. In fact the Rubicon has the best hold back for steep down hills of any make on the market.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Get 500 can am instead of the 400. there is a 10hp difference and way more torque and the EFI is awesome. the 500 can am will beat a honda 680 in a 250 yard drag but not off the line.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I would buy the Honda before i bought a can am anyday,can am are way to much money for what you get then you have to go buy skids plates and i cant see how they could handle good when everytime you hit the brakes the front end is on the ground..? plus look at them barf very good motor but nothing else :imo: my2cents

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I don't own a Honda, but three of my riding buddies do. One of them bought the 650 Rincon the first year it came out in 03 or 02 I think. He has not had any, I repeat any problems. His machine may not have the ground clearance but I tell that thing runs and runs and runs. I have yet to see any problems with the transmissions on them either, they may not have the greatest engine breaking on them but they have less challenges going down the mountainside then I did on my Cat.

I wouldn't hesitate to own and Honda if there weren't Arctic Cats. I know there are plenty on here that love to bash them, and I give my buddies Honda grief as much as the next non-Honda owner would, but like them or hate them. They are a damn reliable and good machine for what they are designed for.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
as far as the honda 680 or can am 500 goes, the can am is a smaller quad like the honda as far as hard or sandy trails go, the can am is an awsum machine, ride quality is second to none period.
its not a mudder like the cat, but anything else as far as im concerned its second to none for handling,crisp throttle responce,ride quality and steering is smooth as silk.
i had the 800 max xt which if i were to just trail ride that would be the machine no questions asked.
they are a little pricey but the hype is calming down and there is good deals out there.
as far as the honda goes there engines run forever and very well known for reliability.
its smooth power ride quality is nice but the can ams ride is better.
hondas fuel inj wouldnt scare me in the least,but only one range for the tranny doesnt cut it.
there all quality machines and they have there own certain features, the question is which one will suite your style. good luck :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts