Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a honda 300 fourtrax 4x4. It's a hunting machine. It's never used for trail riding, but I duck hunt....so that means water and lots of it. It's not uncommon to be in calf-deep water for half a mile at a time. I can't keep water out of the rear drum. It makes the rear brakes useless. Just a couple days on the farm and the rear drum is gone. It'll fill up with water, then turn to sludge as it mixes with brake dust (and mildews between uses). The 300 uses a drum that is mounted near the center, whereas all the newer hondas use a drum mounted more outward towards the wheel, so from what I've seen there is no disc conversion kit available (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me). Has anybody found a way to keep water out of these drums? I'm about to the point where I think the drum housing just need a drain hole so that the water can run out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have you looked to see if there is a drain hole? My ATC from 83' has the rear drum but has a drain hole. I just took the bolt out and left it on a shelf because if there was trapped moisture in there come November the brakes would freeze up making it useless for deer season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts