Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently told that if you run with an aftermarket exhaust system (on an F-7), you should run 89 octane at a minimum to prevent engine damage. Has anyone else ever heard of this? The more I hear about aftermarket exhaust the more it seems the stock system should be reinstalled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigPoppa05 @ Dec 22 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
only necessary, with twins and big bore ported pipes such as the fatazz and the monster.[/b]
Well almost right.93Pon eq 97Ron.
I run my Slptwins on 91Pon problably a little ritcher then u Americans
due to the elevation here in Sweden. 0-3000 feeet.
Is Shell V-Power avalibe in Amerika 95Pon? It is in Sweden.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes i can get the V-power 95, but i have to travel out of the way to get it and the gas station is across the street from my house so its just convienient. im ata little over 3000 feet so i think my 93 is a bit richer. I've never tried 95 in my sled though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
94ron were the fuel i used when i dynoed my sled, i could probably used 91
without any problems.
Twinpipes have nothing(some)to do with fuelquality, compression is the main
issue. Learn some more about the relationship of octane and compression
and you will be good to go.
We have a big problem here in scandinavia or Europe for that matter.High octane
racefuel is impossible to get here because led is forbidden in fuels in the EU.

Happy Christmas.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
THATS A NEW ONE ,RAN TWIN D&D PIPES ON MY FREAKING 1010 PSI MOTOR SOMETIMES WITH 93 AND SOMETIMES 87 DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CAN GET,NEVER HAD A PROBLEM Cat happy

·
Registered
20 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the grinch @ Dec 23 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
THATS A NEW ONE ,RAN TWIN D&D PIPES ON MY FREAKING 1010 PSI MOTOR SOMETIMES WITH 93 AND SOMETIMES 87 DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CAN GET,NEVER HAD A PROBLEM Cat happy[/b]
I guess it didnt have much compression.
All i can say, higher the numbers, the safer you will be and poorer.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mora @ Dec 22 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the grinch @ Dec 23 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THATS A NEW ONE ,RAN TWIN D&D PIPES ON MY FREAKING 1010 PSI MOTOR SOMETIMES WITH 93 AND SOMETIMES 87 DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CAN GET,NEVER HAD A PROBLEM Cat happy[/b]
I guess it didnt have much compression.
All i can say, higher the numbers, the safer you will be and poorer.
[/b][/quote]
IF YOU HAVE EVER WRAPPED YOUR LEGS AROUND A SLED WITH OVER 200 HP YOU WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THAT SILLY COMMENT,I BROKE THE ROPE STARTING IT SO MABEY THAT WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would run 93. Was with a friend last year who had a detonation burndown running 87 octane with a D & D Y-pipe and Speedwerx Single / can. If running y-pipe only, 87 is fine.

He ran most of the season with 87, but on the last ride of the year, experienced the detonation and meltdown.

·
Registered
520 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (laona @ Dec 23 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So, am what I'm hearing is that 87 should not be a problem w/ a D&D Y and single pipe?[/b]
my 2 cents would say that you would be fine running 87, but if you wanted to get a solid answer, i would email the experts like Bikeman or Speedwerx and explain your setup and ask what octane you should run. i think i will do this also just for a piece of mind as i am proabably going to buy a setup similar to yours next season.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always ran 91 or 93 whatever the higher number I could get at the station I was at at the time in my zrt600 and my 03 zr900 which both had head kits on them with pipes etc... I never burned down the zrt, but did burn down the zr900 twice.. Once when I had to ride and used what fuel I had-- yep 87 octane. The other time I just held it wfo for too long too many times and it was below zero out.. I never jetted richer for the temps and i it did burn down after a long 1 mile or so run.. I would have been longer if I could have kept it together...LOL.. Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
well i have a 04 f6 put on a d and d can last year and this year i added a d and d pipe would it be smart to upgrade to higher octane for that or is 87 fine just curious because i saw what you guys were saying thanx for the help

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
87 is where its at. Running premium doesnt make you faster. on a bikeman mod/stealth and a speedwerx pipe you are fine. When you run twins, porting head mods etc or a monster single or a fatass, you need 91+

·
Registered
126 Posts
well i was just wondering if it would be safer to run higher octane is all saw the post you guys gave and made me think about it so i was just looking to see if i run regular gas was fine for my set up

·
Registered
145 Posts
ive put the single speedwerx pipe on my seld and directions states needs high prem fuel. so i called speedwerx and they stated needs
to be 91 or risk a burn down. . i then stated if 91 was not around then what.. the reply was put orginal pipe back on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (russ @ Dec 24 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ive put the single speedwerx pipe on my seld and directions states needs high prem fuel. so i called speedwerx and they stated needs
to be 91 or risk a burn down. . i then stated if 91 was not around then what.. the reply was put orginal pipe back on.[/b]

EXACTLY- see my post above. My friend experienced the 87 octane meltdown...

It COULD make it through a season on 87 - but get the right conditions and you have melted pistons.

How lucky do you feel being 100 miles from home in below zero temps?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts