Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im rebilding my top end and want to bump the compression up abit. I dont want to go over board but i wanna run 91 octane. I can either shave my heads down abit but I have also heard of people getting thinner base gaskets? has anybody done this before and who makes them? thanks

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Not really into the little 600's but you have to watch port timing on them with different gasket thicknesses, some run thicker gaskets (a spacer or double them up or something of the likes) and increase power and if you are using aftermarket pistons you'll need to measure the squish band as all pistons are not the same and compression will vary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If the engine is "designed" (stock) to be run on, lets say 87, running the engine on 91 or 93 will not change anything. Only benefit is if the engine is run hard enough to really heat things up beyond what the engine was designed for, it will help prevent detonation (but at this point you're likely causing damage anyway). This is assuming all other things unchanged, no alterations from the original design. On my 99 ZRT 600 i am running Black Magic pipes, VForce reeds, a 3 degree timing key, and have some port work done on the bottom side of the jug (rounded and opened the port intakes, didnt change the cylinder side of the ports), i always run premium on my sled as the 600s (stock) run noticeably hotter than my ZRT800, and the ZR700s that I run with. Not that surprising when the 600 makes roughly 200hp/L, and the 700/800s are only at 157hp/L and 181hp/L respectively. For me, between the timing key, and the hot running nature of the little 600, its insurance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.