Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a white 1997 Powder special 580 EFI (no battery) that needs about 6500RPM to get sled moving, when clutch does engage the sled lurches forward I bought the sled used a couple of years ago, other than this issue it is a great machine. Could this be a problem with the primary clutch or the driven clutch and could a good cleaning of the clutches fix this issue?

·
Super Moderator
9,267 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Shouldn't be too hard to narrow down the issue.
Proper cleaning is not a bad idea. It would help verify that everything is moving correctly.
It would be a good idea to check some basics. Correct belt in good shape? How is your belt deflection? Where does the belt sit in the secondary before engagement?
If those check out correct, you will be looking at the primary. Engagement is controlled by the primary clutch beginning to shift when everything else is to spec.
It is quite possible that the sled has been set up for high altitude. (Those were essentially the mountain sleds of the day.) The changes often included lighter weights and spring rate in the primary. It might be that simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard.
Shouldn't be too hard to narrow down the issue.
Proper cleaning is not a bad idea. It would help verify that everything is moving correctly.
It would be a good idea to check some basics. Correct belt in good shape? How is your belt deflection? Where does the belt sit in the secondary before engagement?
If those check out correct, you will be looking at the primary. Engagement is controlled by the primary clutch beginning to shift when everything else is to spec.
It is quite possible that the sled has been set up for high altitude. (Those were essentially the mountain sleds of the day.) The changes often included lighter weights and spring rate in the primary. It might be that simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding.
I have a new belt on the machine ( Arctic Cat belt (0627 012) and it sits at the right height on the driven clutch.(1/8th of an inch above) Also this machine was setup at the factory for 5000-9000 feet of Altitude.(The altitude at my cabin where the sled is used is 3700 feet) It has a Yellow/White spring and 19:40 gearing ratio, I'm not sure if the weights are stock 48 Gram or have been changed. The machine just lurches at take off and needs 6500RPM to start moving. The weights could be sticking, not sure how to tell if they are slow in responding. Should I change the spring to a RED spring and the weights to 49.5 grams? Also the cam for this setup is 49*, for the 0-5000 feet it says it should be 51* not sure what to do about this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts