Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My2002 ZRT 600 has high idle characteristics.When cold it idles at about 4000 .When coming to a stop after cruising it will stay at about 3800 for along time if I dont pull the choke on .If you adjust the idle screw for warm running its not right for cold idling.Whats different with flat slides verses the old style on all my other 600 ZRTs? Thanks G

·
Registered
727 Posts
Your mixture is lean at idle when it's cold. The screws on the front side of the carb with the plastic caps sets the idle fuel mixture. These are fuel screws, not air screws, just like a car carb. Turn them in an softly seat them, then turn out 1 full turn each. Try this. if it is still idling high, turn out a quarter turn each until it settles down. Should go no more than 2 turns. I am running my T-cat at 1 turn open and it worked fine on the weekend at minus 15 C.

BP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does it smoke at idle when it's running at 3,800 - 4,000 RPM?

If so, then your not lean. Your air screw and fuel screw are possibly out sync with one another not providing the proper air/fuel ratio.

Also, are you positive all three carbs are in sync? If not, take a drill bit and place it beneath the slides in each one and adjust them accordingly.

After you try to richen it with your fuel screw, set your air screw at 1-1/2 turns and try to lean your fuel mixture screws instead of richening them. Once it idles smooth, lower your idle screw back down to 1,800 then re-adjust your fuel screws again for smooth idle at 1,800.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a thought, wifes 2000 Zl700 was doing the same thing, idling high for a min. or two after stopping. Smoked an awful lot too. Did the fill the oil and gas thing, ran that out, oops, 26 to one oil, better fix that first. Adjusted the oil to around 50 to one, Wow, woke that kitty up, bonus, no more high idle, WTF? Maybe so much oil in the crankcase saturated with gas it took a min to burn it off? Who knows, :super_happy: :dance: works great now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts