Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Thundercat with a 144" by 1.5" track. I currently have no airbox w/ pod filters, a set of Reichards Pipes and The Reichards clutch setup. I am also running 23/40 gears. Hpw does this compare with other setups you guys may be running in the mountains? I normally ride from 8000 ft and higher. The sled came with 380 Main Jets and I know I have to go leaner, but how far down would you go with the pipes and open filters? Also Would you recomend regearing, or should the 1000cc have enough guts to pull a 23/40? I do have a set of 20/39's if I have to change. Jus wanted to see what other folks are using at High Alt. Oh and by the way it has the AGLT front susp mod.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Can't help you with the jetting but I can help with the gearing. My sled was originally set up for mountain riding in Wyoming & Colorado. It had 20/40 gears. Jetting was changed when I bought the sled for low altitude use. I have since changed my gearing & jetting for trail riding use in Upper Michigan.

Go ahead & use your 20/39 gears. They should be almost perfect. :thumbsup:

Usually go up a couple jet sizes from what the factory suggests for that altitude. Watch your plugs! You want cardboard brown.

Hope this helps.

:pics; :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts