Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
24 bulbs x 1680 = 40,330 lumens lol not likely. But 1680 for the whole bar is really low.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just ordered some LEDs for my AC off Amazon. I spent a grand total of $52.98 and got a 24" light bar that will light up in front and two smaller light pods for pointing out the sides. I might get a couple more of the pods that are flood lights to go with the spot lights but we will see how it works first. I use my AC for checking cows more often than not and checking them throughout the night in the winter will be much better with these. I'll try and post some pictures when I get it done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SCUVA7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQ6V7N6/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
h.I.D. hands down.....

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
HID and LED LOL
Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
The one thing to remember with lights is if you have a standard housing and are replacing a bulb that is either standard or HID, LED won't work as well because the housing and reflective surfaces aren't made for the type of output LEDs put out. LEDs emit light differently so it's not ideal to put an LED there. If you want LEDs, you are best to put in an LED light housing and everything so the light is reflected properly.

So as for the debate on if LED or HID is better....in the stock AC housing, HID will win hands down. But for added light bars it depends on quality and cost. For the cost of the light bars I bought, it's a great value...but they won't compete with HID or a high quality LED set up.

I got two of my LED light pods installed last night and they work great for me. I hopefully will get my light bar tonight and can post some pictures next week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The one thing to remember with lights is if you have a standard housing and are replacing a bulb that is either standard or HID, LED won't work as well because the housing and reflective surfaces aren't made for the type of output LEDs put out. LEDs emit light differently so it's not ideal to put an LED there. If you want LEDs, you are best to put in an LED light housing and everything so the light is reflected properly.

So as for the debate on if LED or HID is better....in the stock AC housing, HID will win hands down. But for added light bars it depends on quality and cost. For the cost of the light bars I bought, it's a great value...but they won't compete with HID or a high quality LED set up.

I got two of my LED light pods installed last night and they work great for me. I hopefully will get my light bar tonight and can post some pictures next week.
I don't ride much at night, just to and from the deer stand in the dark some. That being said, would the pods you got and linked in your earlier post work well as a stand alone addition to the factory lights? I have a 2004 500 4x4 and have always used the factory lights and they have been fine. I'm just looking for a little extra light and you can't beat the price $18 for the 2 1800lmn pods you got.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't ride much at night, just to and from the deer stand in the dark some. That being said, would the pods you got and linked in your earlier post work well as a stand alone addition to the factory lights? I have a 2004 500 4x4 and have always used the factory lights and they have been fine. I'm just looking for a little extra light and you can't beat the price $18 for the 2 1800lmn pods you got.
They are MUCH brighter than the factory lights and are great in addition to the factory lights. Only thing I would seriously think about is how far ahead you want to see versus how wide of beam you want. I wanted these to be a spotlight so I can see cows and calves that are a bit further away to the sides. But they are a fairly concentrated beam. If you are just looking for a bit more light for the trail and riding under 15-20mph, I would get the flood version of these lights so you cover more area. But yes, they are a great light in addition to factory lights...especially for $18. And on those pods, just fyi, they are a full aluminum housing. I expected a very cheap plastic housing but was pleasantly surprised. I'll know more on the light bar hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are MUCH brighter than the factory lights and are great in addition to the factory lights. Only thing I would seriously think about is how far ahead you want to see versus how wide of beam you want. I wanted these to be a spotlight so I can see cows and calves that are a bit further away to the sides. But they are a fairly concentrated beam. If you are just looking for a bit more light for the trail and riding under 15-20mph, I would get the flood version of these lights so you cover more area. But yes, they are a great light in addition to factory lights...especially for $18. And on those pods, just fyi, they are a full aluminum housing. I expected a very cheap plastic housing but was pleasantly surprised. I'll know more on the light bar hopefully tonight.
Thats a good point on the spot/flood. Thanks! I guess on the floods, you'll outrun them a little if traveling more than 15-20 mph?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats a good point on the spot/flood. Thanks! I guess on the floods, you'll outrun them a little if traveling more than 15-20 mph?
That would be my guess. These are good lights but cheaper so I would expect the floods to be more like a fog light, covering a nice wide path but not to far reach. But I've ridden 50 with my stock lights before and most definitely out run them so it all depends on comfort level and how well you know the trail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok I said I would get some pictures up of the lights I installed. To be honest, the picture doesn't quite do the LEDs justice. I'm not saying these are the most amazing lights ever, but wow, it lights up more than enough area for me and gives me a good white light that will definitely help light up the black cows in the dark.

This is stock lights alone on low beam.

Stock lights alone on high beam.

Stock lights on high beam with LED light bars.

The lights

·
Registered
47 Posts
does anyone know if these can still be ordered? Old post but u never know.

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Yes...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
HID Question

Hello-new guy here. Went to the Xentec site to check on lights and noticed there are several bulb sizes you can order with the HB2 H4 6000 kit. Which one would work on my Alterra 700 and will they fit my '14 Grizz also? Also, not sure what a 'pinned' topic means. Been in a cave for years! Thanks!:BigGrin

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Pull your bulbs it will say on it what they are. You could also look in your owners manual. “Pinned “ means that the topic is very good info for everyone so we “pin” it so it is easy to find.

Reactions: AlterraMonster

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
This year I upgraded the 2017 Alterra to LED headlights from this place

Home

it was $99 for the set and the LED's support High / Low beam. As the pictures shows I was able to stuff everything inside the lamp housing. I used a zip tie to insure it stays closed. I have checked on them after long use and they do not get hot.

Mike

Attachments

301 - 319 of 319 Posts