Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking to upgrade my headlights. I was wondering if anyone has installed hid's or led's in the headlights. Are the led's bright enough for night riding??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've done alot of work with LED's, HID's and just generally messing with the wattage and output of lights... And I can tell you for sure that those LED lights won't be near as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs. The stock headlights are pretty bright in the first place, but if you're set on changeing them, HID's are the way to go without a doubt. Not only do they have three times the lumens(light output) as incandescent, but they are 35 watts, which comes out to a 6 amp draw between two of them, while upgrading the stock bulb to a 55 watt incandescent pulls almost 10 amps. The LED's would draw far less amperage, but you might as well strap a mag light to your rack and you'd have about the same brightness. 90% of my riding is at night, so HID's are the first thing I add to every Cat I've had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where abouts do you mount the ballast. dose it matter if it gets soaked?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
We discussed quite a bit about HID's starting on this page here. About 3/4 down the page it starts and then it continues on into page 4.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...30&start=30

That will bring you up to speed on what we have discussed so far. I personally would choose HIDs over the LEDs myself. I feel HIDs are more proven reliable technology in onroad and offroad situations. The kit I'm looking at (ebay link I posted in other topic) says that they are waterproof. I'll check over everything when I install them to make sure I don't see any trouble spots.

I also have another question, I assume you only installed one set right morris? did you put them in the high beams, or the low beams so they are always on? Just curious.

I can't thank you guys enough ahead of time as I didn't really anticipate putting a set in but it makes too much sense to me not to. So i appreciate all the help you guys are giving me on the subject, good stuff!

Reactions: Majormom

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
morris and i have them installed on the low beam (outer) side only. the low bean side speads WAY more light that the high beam side. the inner's project a very directional beam.

when driving at night with hid's on low beams we can see clearly 180 degrees to the left and the right. and when driving in heavily wooded areas the trees above your head are lit up like daylight. no joke

the ballasts are waterproof. mine spend several hours a week underwater with no worries. just grease all the connections. they can be mounted under the plastics, zip tied to the frame by the rad.

good luck.

morris, those LED's he listed would be cool like in the colors of our bikes for partying and such. just install them in the high beam side on a separate switch. maybe even add a flash module to go with the beat of the musid? could be cool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your help. Im new to the whole posting on fourms thing. But I will deff be looking at getting myself an HID kit. I have them installed on my car, but I didnt know how they would hold up on the atv.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good topic and great info Six-ohh and MJboy. I assume the HID's run as cool or cooler than stock bulbs so they don't melt the plastic lens. I like the mention from Six about the woods being lit up. That's all I needed to hear, now I'm interested in an upgrade too! Thanks for the link to the other post and the link to E-bay MJboy.That item has expired so when I get ready to convert I'll do a new search. It would be cool if you could take a few pics of your install and then post up. It would be something different and a good read.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yeah I'll grab a camera when I do it and post the stuff. Six-ohh and morris get all the credit, as I would have had no idea on this otherwise. I was looking at doing something like this back when I got my 04 but the kits weren't as common and they were alot more expensive. Like you say that ebay page is expired, but I used it to reference the color (heat) chart in it. I'm going with the diamond whites.

I figured that's where you guys were mounting them six, but I wanted to make sure incase there was a reason to do it one way and not the other. Being able to see more than just straight down the trail is what's most important to me as well. You never know when those pesky deer are going to bolt out in front of you!

Slats, welcome to ArcticChat!!!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I guess I dont quite understand, what is all needed for HIDs? just the new bulbs? I am looking for green bulbs for my T-Cat that are bright as hell and not exactly sure about these HIDs. Do they come in different colors?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Before I forget.. Even though the HID's are just pulling 35 watts, the ballast can occasionally pull a little more during fire up. Which can blow a fuse. I've had to up the amperage of the headlight fuse in each Cat I put them in.

Sindelir - An HID is basically a metal halide like used for street lights. There is xenon gas in the bulb that ignited by the ballast, which jumps the voltage up to 23,000 to do so. Trying to run 12 volts through it... Won't do a thing. Yet when ignited, it only pulls 35 watts.

Here's the link to the green HID bulbs. They burn at 3000 Kelvin, putting out 3200 lumens.. Which is about four times as bright as an incandescent.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12v-35w-veh...sspagenameZWD1V

ZH1 - There's not much point in pics of an install. All you do is plug the factory light plug into the wire on the ballast, and then put the HID bulb into your headlight. The wire from the ballast to the bulb is only about a foot long, so beside the radiator is about your only option to mount the ballast. They're waterproof though, so no worries.

MJBoy - That's funny you should say that about the deer. Six-ohh and I were cruisin down the roads by my house at about 45 mph one night, and a buck ran across the road in front of me, and I nailed him. He went flying in the air off the left side of the road. I've got the LE bumper and all it did was push the left side in about an inch. Strapped it to a tree and pulled it back out. Sure alot cheaper than if I didn't have the bumper.

Marcus - Six ohh - Yeah, the LED headlight would be pretty cool in the bright spot. The ones I saw on e-bay were $50 though. And besides... I've got way too many LED strobes goin in to that speakerbox in the first place, so I've gotta start limiting myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The HID's I have installed in my car and truck have a relay harness that connects the lights direct to the battery. Is that needed for the ATV or no.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
No splicing of wires? I just want to make sure, I dont want to cut anything up on any harness being I like to keep every thing very simple and easy to change back if i want to or need to. Thanks for all the help I think I will have to buy a kit for my car to. So this kit only comes with 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs, does that mean if I want them in all four light sockets I have to get 2 Kits? I see how these work now there just like the lights in my garage

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
How big of a fuse did you upgrade to morris?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can't remember for sure, but I know it would have been my biggest spare fuse in there. Probably 30 amp. The higher wattage is only running through there for a fraction of a second, so it's not like it's going to get the time to melt any wires or harm anything. Just needs that little surge.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
OK I'll experiment with it a little and see what I can get away with. I think 30 is the biggest also but I can't remember. I'll toss a 20 in it right away. If I'm not mistaken I think it's a 15 in it stock. When I get the machine back from Speedwerx I'll check out what the stock fuse rating is and post it. Unless someone can look at their machine for me and post it.

Morris did you put a set in your 04 as well? If so how did they work in the with the smaller headlight assembly? I thought about doing HID's on my 04 as well to get more light output out of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah, they started out in the '04. The little lights in there sucked, but with the HID's, they were much brighter than any other 4 wheeler's stock set-up by far. I've since mounted a pair of those rectangular "blazer" lights from walmart on it. Nothing like the HID's, but much brighter than the stock lights. I've had the same set of HID's all along, just been movin them over to the most recent bike each time.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Good to know morris.

1 - 20 of 319 Posts