Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there has been some talk about brighter lights (silverstar bulbs) and HID (high intensity discharge) on a few posts, I spoke of doing a HID conversion on my F7, well the kit came in and I soon found out that the headlights are infact AC voltage, The HID is a 12V DC ballast. So I am in the prosses of getting a rectifirer to change AC to DC, once that is done I will see if it works, I am also going to moniter the before and after voltage to see what if any change in current draw the HID kit makes on the F7's stator output. So I will be the guinee pig for this mod. I will post more information with pics after I get all the parts I need and do the final install.
Kyle :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
it will be interesting to see if it pulls more current, i know that was talked about alot back in the day when the 03's came out when people were trying to put brighter bulbs in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats why I want to post base line figures and after the HID so everyone can see for them selfs. There is a guy on this site that stated that the HID will draw a quik high amperage for a milli second then it draws about 35W. These figures will be on a good Fluke meter so they should be pretty acurate.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Propickle, if you got the $$$$$ go for it. I looked into the HID also seems like alot of money since you have to supply kits to four headlights. Post pics when you get done, you might be the first one to do that kind of mod. Good luck. I was thinking if we get enough of us Arcticchatters and some of the **** core guys to call Sylvania and bust thier balls to get an 894 bulb in the Silverstar Series we all would be set for less than $80. Just a thought.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just doing the high beams so if there is any issues this season I cant limp along on with the low beams. I have the kit and have fired it up in the sled with a jump pack just to see how much heat and to see what they look like and DAMN they are SUPER bright. They make the factory bulbs look like flickering candles. The nice thing is if I can get a constant 12V to them they shouldnt flicker, I have customers with light dim on their cars/trucks because high amperage car stereos and when I did the HID the dim and flicker went away.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey JANSTER, How did you get the outside two headligh bulbs to fit? On my Firecat the bulb has no room for a straight bulb end and connector. Please show some pics of the lights on and the underside where the bulb plugs in. I am very interested in using these bulbs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
have u guys thought about purchasing HID conversion kit? they are 230 bucks for 2 bulbs and 2 ballast. Firecat headlight bulb design and fitment are H3? or not? if its the same fitment, then all you need to do is plug in the hid bulbs and then wire up your regular headlight wires to the relay and have a straight 12v wire to the battery, along with a inline fuse ofc! then wire it to the relay and have a ground wired to it, and then your stock wire will only switch the relay on and then it will light up the hid, HID ballast only uses 35w, but has a high draw at start up for a split second.

i dont own a firecat yet. plan to this fall. so im not sure what bulb it uses or if h3 will fit.

there are fitments that hid conversion kit has which is

Available Bulb Sizes: H1, H3, H3C, H7, H8, H10, H11, H13, H4-Low, H4 Bi-xenon, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007
Available Color Temperatures: 3000K, 4000K, 5000K, 6000k, 8000k, 10000k, 15000K

so if im wrong then disregard my post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts