Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:angry_mad: I have a M-1000 with 212 miles on it. At 160 miles warranty work done for c.c.u. defective. No sled for 9 days! Now, upon closer inspection, I notice many spots where hoses,cables,wires are wearing because they are rubbing against stuff. Examples:

The plug for the exhaust sensor wire has worn a hole through one coolant return hose directly behind the can. Possable fix: 1 zip tie, 4" piece of wire loom.
Throttle cable is wearing through where it rubs against the injector rail on the clutch side. Possable fix: another piece of wire loom. 1 more zip tie.
Power valve cables are are gonna melt under the can. The Fix: move the mount hole for the zip tie down to under where the can stopper plate is pop rivited. Put p/v cables in wire looms. Use another zip tie.
Power valve cables are wearing through really BAD where they make a 120 degree turn and seperate from the throttle cable on the forward snap tie thing. PUT THE POWER VALVE CABLES AND THROTTLE CABLE IN SEPERATE WIRE LOOMS ALL THE WAY FROM BEGINING TO END!
Plug wires are wearing through where they are contacting the top of the motor. Fix: make plug wires shorter or put loom over them.
Those coolant return lines are also wearing where they twist around eachother at the corner of the motor. Fix: put wire looms around the length of the hoses from Y to end.

Bottom line: Arctic Cat needs to pony up 4 more zip ties and a little loom on assembly of a 12g sled! I spent a lot of money for pull and go. I should not be troubleshooting your products! Plus think of all the warrenty hours at dealerships saved because of such cheap, simple fixes.
I would take it to the dealer but I don't want to sit out another week or two. Oh and another thing: THE M8 BOYS ARE WONDERING IF YOUR ON VACATION OR SOMETHING. WHY DON'T YOU ANSWER THEM ????
Your silence will be interpreted as indifference. Polaris did not but you out did they?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would have to agree, I have owned several arctic cat sleds and have always been pretty brand loyal, but my new m8 is a joke, stock for stock, my wifes o6 m6 will run right beside it. Not what I payed for at $10.000 If something isnt done soon, THIS WILL BE MY LAST ARCTIC CAT. I should not have to spend more of my $ to get this to run like it should, and to keep it from melting. I pay for turn key performance and that is what I expect. :devil_angry: :sos:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more on this one. I'll be doing the 300 mile checkup on mine and if history repeats itself, I'm guesing AC probably has some issues. Sometimes its just the little things that'll put you on the wrong side of the tow rope.

Thanks for the checklist.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mine ran like crap the first tank of gas.
I changed clutch weights, and got some straight gas into it and its running good now.
I played hard in deep deep powder the last 3 days, used 4 bottles of nitrous up and it never skipped a beat.
Looks like i need to tighten the track up a smidgen and thats it. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know the frustration you guys but understand you bought a sled on its introductary year, the M1000 and M800 are the first motor ever built ground up for efi, all other motors to this point have been retrofitted carb motors my stock 05 M7 outruns the new M8's and I chalk it up to a new expieremental sled that needs some bugs worked out but I have to give it to A/C to go for the gusto and not reel it in like polaris and screw all of their dealers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear you have some bad M8's, but please don't assume all M8's are "going to get run over". I ride with multiple M8's, and I have a M7. Very close with all sleds. M8's seem to have a little more throttle response but other than that, close. There is no way a stock M6 is going to run with a M8. You have a clutch problem or an engine problem or your track is too tight or something. Check a few things out or take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
love to hear other people are getting as upset about this as i am. have been a loyal cat rider for 10 years now but if ac does not fix the melting on my M8 this will be my last artic cat. know this sled is a first year engine design but that in no way gives them the right to just ignore the problems they are having. have been waiting for a oil res. bottle since thanksgiving weekend when the thing almost melted apart, can't even fill the thing over 3/4 full or it leaks all over the place. call my dealer every week still no bottle. still waiting on the short power valve cable also. but they have plenty of time to send me a letter letting me know that after market parts void my warranty. what warranty? my sled has melted anything close to the pipe, including parts of the hood, if they don't think thats problem enough for some kind of action then they will no longer have me as a customer. love this sled, it is by far the best i've ever owned, but sooner or later the thing is gonna melt something in the middle of nowhere and leave me stranded!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schneehagen @ Jan 7 2007, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know the frustration you guys but understand you bought a sled on its introductary year, the M1000 and M800 are the first motor ever built ground up for efi, all other motors to this point have been retrofitted carb motors my stock 05 M7 outruns the new M8's and I chalk it up to a new expieremental sled that needs some bugs worked out but I have to give it to A/C to go for the gusto and not reel it in like polaris and screw all of their dealers.[/b]

Very well said! I too am having some set up problems and it is frustrating but when I do get it dialed look out. The sled works well but could work way better if I could harness all of the power it has. So I'm looking forward to see what it is really capable of.
Everyone hang in there and lets work together we will all benifit.
My 2c
Brad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update- Back in the shop again! sled cuts out during a pull. Backfires like a shotgun. Missing, bucking, hesetating. sometimes it runs killer! But has yet to go an entire day without cutting out. sometimes it just dies on the hill for no reason. One time it would not even start to load on the trailer! less than 300 miles on it. so I guess i spent 12g to watch everyone else ride. But its o.k. right. I should be paitent and just wait untill cat sends out manuals and tools? I think if you sell a product, you should at least have the tools and info available to the techs so they can fix it. Calling cat daily for help is bullsh*t!!! My new dream machine has been in the shop for 2 weeks total so far. I have riden only 5 days! And none of them for more than 4 hours! But I should be happy they took my cash right? This is normal? NEWSFLASH- Its snowing now! I want to fuggin ride NOW!!! This is why I shelled out 12g CASH! I have every right to be pissed! They got paid. Yet, here I sit, riding a fuggin keyboard! Well at least my dell will start every time I turn it on. :angry:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Koso have you done any mods or have you pulled a plug to see if you are running to rich or to lean, or even looked into the Y pipe to see if you may have stuck a piston and are losing compression.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep, no mods. no stuck piston. maybe a little rich but plugs are o.k. Problem is electricial. grounding out somewhere in the harness intermitently. tech does not know where it is because he does'nt have a wiring diagram for the m-1000 yet. so he has to call cat every time to test a wire i guess. They were able to retrieve a trouble code from the memory finally, says some kind of fault in tach is doing it. Too bad they could not retrieve the memory before they told me it was fixed. Took it to baker on thursday and it cut out and died during a pull, leaving me in a less than attractive position. I went off a 20 foot nose and lawn darted into a windlip with no power and nowhere to go except straight down! Bent the steering post, hoop support, 1 a-arm, cracked hood, broke throttle block with my hip when I flew over the bars. I don't feel this is my fault b/c they said they fixed it!(defective ccu) Well it was not fixed obviously. This is a runability issue that has plagued me since I bought it new. I do not think I should have to pay for it because it is directly related to the runability of the sled. opinions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i switched brands this year because i wanted cats big engine.ended up with an expensive
pile of junk that dont run.i have to write-off not riding winter 06-07 as a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Koso I agree with you on who is liable it is like the ford explorer tires blowing out a few years ago, Firestone had to recall them because they were causing rollovers. Your case is much the same. I heard that A/C will send you a new motor if you stick it, they want your entire motor and cdi this is odd usually only a cylinder and piston is replaced A/C does know somthing was missed at the factory when it comes to quality control and they do risk losing some loyal and new customers. I think most people would be fine if they even came out and said yea we have a problem we are working on a solution but the sticking their head in the sand is going to come back and bite them in the icehole

·
Registered
141 Posts
Koso,
Had a simular issue with my 05 f7 when it was new, fought with the dealer for 2 months attempting to convince them I wasn't crazy, it would flat line in the heavy of a power turn or right at the apex of my mark. ( badcomputer Tore the window off with my lips, Not warranty item...)
I bought the manuals myself and dug into it cristmas eve of 2005, found one pin connector for the crank sensor was not clipped in to the plug completely and caused the intermitted fault when the machine would see some side G's or angle.
I have constantley wrenched on my unti now for 2 years and opted to sit on the fence for another year to see what ugly's popped out of the woodwork on the 07's,,, So far I am glad I waited.
I would love to see the 1100 4 stroke in an M chasis with a factory turbo but if the teething pains of 03,04,05,07 are any indication of Cats intent to let the dedicated die hards out there sort out the issues, I am not interested unless they send me a free one to pound on.

Maybe Yamee will step up to the plate with a factory 200+ marker and based on the reliability of the units for the last few years I may have to bail.... Too bad because I have 5 cats in the house now and will be the odd ball for the kids to pick on.

I'll have to get new riding gear too. :angry_mad:

05, f7 ext, 2.5"x 144" pizza cutter track, M7 DD gear train, 36deg secondary bracket 68 gram wieghts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts