Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out again today since it is my last day before starting my new job. I went with a guy, Kevin, out to Mclean crk. He doesn't have a atv, but he borrows his boss's 650 Kawasaki Bruteforce. We were going a fair bit slower than what I described myself and a different guy were doing on Monday. My buddy on Modnay would have to wait for me,
but even though I wasn't going as fast as I was on Monday, and I still would have to wait for Kevin. So we weren't doing crazy speeds or anything.

We were going along just fine, and I was waiting for him at a creek crossing. Waiting. Waiting. Crap. He's usually here by now.

So I go back to see what was up, and I see him at the top of a hill, in kind of a flat spot, struggling to roll the quad over onto it's wheels. Crap.

He was going along and went into some virgin snow, but hit a hidden
erosional "chasm". You know how on the hills the erosion makes the deep cuts. Well, this one was hidden with the drifted snow.

So I don't know how fast he was going, but his left front wheel went in and stopped dead, while the rest of everything else kept going. He flew off and landed on his shoulder and rolled. He thought that he should keep rolling to stay out of the way of the quad. Good thing he did, because the quad landed right where he did, completely upsidedown. He said his shoulder was a bit sore, but otherwise he was uninjured. But the quad's left front wheel wasn't pointing straight. And the rim was bent badly enough that he broke the seal of the tire, and it was flat.

So I tried to use the little electric pump I had along to pump up his tire. The air lasted about 45 seconds, and then he was flat again. But he didn't want to ruin the tire, so we'd drive a little bit, then pump it up, then drive a little bit, then pump it up, etc.

We did this until we noticed that the wheel was really really pointing the wrong way, and was forcing him off the trail. So we thought the best thing to do at this point was to have my Cat tow him. So we pumped up his tire, then I'd tow him a ways, then we'd pump up his tire again, and I'd tow him a ways, etc.

This was working okay until we were going down a short but steep hill. I was trying to move quickly enough so that he wouldn't run into my rear end. The trail down the hill had a bit of a right turn, but his wheel was pointing all the way to the left. All of a sudden he yelled to stop, and I did immediately. But not soon enough. He went off the trail just enough to hit a big tree. So now his front bumper is bent. Bent quite significantly.

Crap.

So he's all upset now. He's borrowing his boss's quad, and he's just
trashing it. And we've still got about 15km or so to get back to the truck.

So I suggest that I tow him backwards. That way the left front wheel [which is completely floppy at this point, and no longer connected to the steering controls at all] will be less likely to direct him off the trail.

I also suggest that we give up on trying to save that tire. We'll just
waste time, and it's probably toast anyways.

So that's what we do. And it worked out pretty well for the rest of the way back. I towed him all the way back with him going backwards, but we went very slowly, so that if he started going off the track, then we could just get him back on before something else broke. On the very steep hills, he'd have to put it in reverse and give it some gas to help me get him up, otherwise I'd just spin on the snow and ice. And then going down the steep hills we detached and went down separately so we didn't have a collision.

He flipped at 2pm on the dot. And we didn't get back to the truck until 4:40.

So now he has to get his boss's quad fixed. I don't think he's glad he went out today.

But my quad ran great!

That's my story for the day.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice story :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would of tried to put the front up on the rear rack and use a strap to hold it on like a tow truck and put the guy on the front rack did this before when i did the same thing on my 92 polaris 350l and broke the a-arm worked great going straight

·
Administrator
40,726 Posts
Wow it's dangerous riding with you!! Lol
J/k

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow it's dangerous riding with you!! Lol
J/k

I can show people the trails, but I can't operate their ATV's for them! :Bangin:

By the way, before this happened we zipped up that hill that you, uh... didn't like so much. We zipped up it without a hitch.

We were just starting to work our way back, going along a rather easy section of trail, when he decided to venture out of the tracks.

Not much I can do about that. I dunno

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
But, like Maverick once said to Ice Man:

That's Right! I AM dangerous!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts